Sign in to follow this  
Azapata87

Overclocking to improve FSX

Guest BrianFletcher

First off, I want to thank all of you who have posted tweaks in this forum. I have succesfully gone from 15 to 30 FPS with the sliders half-way...much appreciated. Now I am looking for a little more help, this time with overclocking my video card, and perhaps even my processor.I have heard that it is safer and more effective to overclock a video card, and that you get more warning signs if something is about to go wrong. I'm not a computer guru, so I have no idea. Is there anybody who can help me to overclock an Nvidia 7800? I really don't care if I have to install an air conditioner in my computer to keep it cool, for that matter, I don't care if I have to move to Alaska and keep my PC outside...I just want better graphics and improved FPS.What about the processer? Again, I really don't care about the shortened life span, or anything else. After all, I'm pretty sure that I will be needing a new computer next year to fully appreciate FSX anyway.Is there anything else that I can overclock? I'll hook my computer up to my car if that's what it takes for more power :)Thanks in advance for the help

Brian,15 to 30 is pretty good. I wish my sytem would do that with halfway sliders.I was an overclocker once upon a time. I am doing all the tweaks mentioned in other threads such as the default.xml change, the texture resizing, etc. My machine at KLAX was choked to death, 5 fps is all I could get with minimal slider settings. So with these tweaks I am getting about 15fps. Still not enough really but liveable. My last resort is overclocking. I can take my 3.2GHz to 3.6GHz but I really don't want to do that.RivaTuner (google it) will OC your nVidia chip. Warning signs are strange artifacts in your video.Your BIOS settings may OC your processor. Warning signs are lockups or shutdowns CTDs, etc. Or it just won't boot at all at that setting.

>I just want better graphics and improved FPS.>> I'll hook my>computer up to my car if that's what it takes for more power>:)Why ruin a perfectly good vehicle over a piece of.........software;) Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.800 FSB/2MB L22 GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 6.9's6x Adaptive AA/16x HQ A/FIntegrated SoundDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals

Regards, Kendall

Brian,You can use Rivatuner or coolbits for overclocking your graphics card, have a look over on www.guru3d.com to find latest drivers and registry tweaks to open up the overclocking options on your card.There is an option when you get into the overclocking options for the card to autodetect its own Optimal overclocking settings so it "should" run ok on those settings it finds itself, make sure you have good cooling and dont push it too far....For your cpu you can either OC it through the bios or if you are not too familar you can use a program called clockgen that can OC through windows, I would not select the 'Apply current settings at startup option' though as if you push it too far you may not be able to get in again to turn it off.Loads of info out there on the net about OC, you just need to have good cooling and take it a step at a time.Good luck - you get a faster gpu and cpu for free if you crack it!CheersMike

Guest smarti05

>>I just want better graphics and improved FPS.>>>> I'll hook my>>computer up to my car if that's what it takes for more power>>:)>>>Why ruin a perfectly good vehicle over a piece>of.........software;) >>>Exactly if you overclock by 10%, the most you're going to get is 10% ie 10 frames goes to 11, not worth the risk at all.

Hello,For the video card you can try the drivers available at : http://www.tweaksrus.com/I use these for months with succes and as result more smooth, speed and IQ.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Overclocking your processor is unlikely to fry it even if you do push it to far. It will become very unstable way before it gets to the point where it is damaged. Uncareful use of voltage will fry anything on a computer imho.Andrew