Sign in to follow this  
OldFlyboy

Just installed new Rift S....Could use help

After configurations I loaded P3D v4.5 and RealAir Duke. REALLY pleased with view at Friday Harbour. First off, there is no mouse. So how do I work Buttons/switches?

There must be a tutorial someplace for dummies. After an hour searching and watching You Tube I am no closer. Some help getting guidance will be truly appreciated.

I was all ready to give up flight simming after about 37 years  (anyone remember Apple 2e?) but my wife gave me the Rift S yesterday as an encouragement.

Gotta say: a very nice gift and it surely does make want to try it seriously.

Again: help/direction appreciated

Neal H  😊

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Don't have P3D installed anymore.

Maybe this will help?: https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d/virtual_reality/virtual_reality.html

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 hours ago, OldFlyboy said:

First off, there is no mouse. So how do I work Buttons/switches?

What? No mouse? That's not right. There should be a round dot instead of a pointer when you move the mouse which you can use to interact with switches in VR.

Neal H,

Hello mate ... On a different tack here and as a very obvious NON-USER of VR, I am wondering if you have considered hand tracking.  I am going to assume that hand tracking may negate the use of a mouse anyway.  I am led to believe, that handtracking is now available with the Rift S and Quest but I may well be leading you up the proverbial garden path.  

If hand tracking is as good as I am led to believe, I think it may be  possible to set up your computer (ie configure your flight and aircraft) on a normal screen, then put on the VR headset and proceed using the hand tracker to operate switches and controllers normally by hand ... Muscle memory would need to come into play here for the location of your joystick/yoke, throttle/s, rudders etc.  Maybe these controllers (and, in fact, the supplied Rift hand controllers may not even be required., which would be ideal)

From my point of view, this, (hand tracking) would be a personal requirement, and confirmed as possible/viable, before I purchased a headset.  I may well be in a minority here but that is how I envisage the use of VR for the ultimate in immersion, for any flight sim platform. I have to admit that I have no idea if this concept is even viable.

This is probably no help to you and I apologise for not being able to respond directly to your queires. Good luck and enjoy your VR experience.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

@Neal H

There are also several places you can check, where Vr is a bit more mainstream, and where asking such questions might possibly get an answer as well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1358782704314077/

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

There should be a mouse. It disappears if you don't use it, though, and is woken up if you move the mouse.

The white dot is visible and tracks my head movement very accurately.However, when I focus it on a switch or lever there is no way to actuate them. No mouse is visible at any time. All yoke view buttons work with ChasePlane and VR is perfect.

Thanks HiFlyer: I have applied to join the Facebook group and am waiting for approval.

Getting a bit frustrated with the lack of precise info from Oculus, P3D, Rift S settings

Worth the wait if I can eventually get it

Neal H

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Are you running Steam VR for this? Have you made sure Enable gaze selection is off? Any chance you are running multiple monitors and the headset?

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

Just to clarify, the white dot you're seeing IS the mouse. It doesn't look like an arrow like it does on the screen. The dot moves with your head AND with the mouse. It takes some getting used to, but eventually it works pretty well.

NealH, I have Rift S installed (Rift previously): As mentioned in this forum, the round white dot IS the mouse. You still have to use a mouse button (on yr mouse) to activate/klick. You can move the dot by yr mouse, as well. The controllers cease to function as soon as one switches to VR in P3D. That is a known and acknowledged deficiency of P3D.

Re. Hand tracking

I tested both the built-in HT as well as the LEAP version (with addnl hardware): IMHO it is not precise enough to be useful in an aircraft while flying, because it has a ‚hit rate‘ in my tests of about 50% which means you have to klick and klick and klick a switch or button. That is why I went back (reluctantly and dissappointed) to mouse klicks.

Volker