Sign in to follow this  
Martin Byrde

Steam Launch/Reviews will be a Disaster

Reading all the comments over there....noticed too many people with i3/i5 cpu's, 4-8gb ram, GTX 9series and low end 10series cards buying FS2020.  The kids over at Steam are in for a big shock next week.  I feel bad for devs that receive negative reviews from ppl buying new AAA 2020 software with 5-10yr old computers.......maybe i'm wrong and FS2020 will run 1 day on the ipad or a toaster😆😁

If somebody buys without checking if they meet minimum specs... that's on them.

• Like 6

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

6 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

If somebody buys without checking if they meet minimum specs... that's on them.

Yeah, but it will not stop them from giving bad reviews.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

12 minutes ago, tweekz said:

Yeah, but it will not stop them from giving bad reviews.

And on Steam and other places, I mark such reviews as non-useful, or hit them with the laughing icon-o-scorn.

• Like 6

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Steam lists the minimum and recommends specs. If people don’t read, that’s on them. And if they can’t tell they need a good rig for this just by looking at the gameplay video, then they are blind, to dumb to virtually fly, or probably both.

That said, a developer really needs to word not allowed off their user base to result in Steam review being a “disaster”. I would wager that a good majority of people buying FS2020 on Steam are fully aware of what kind of hardware they need.

Steam would benefit from a built-in “can I run this?” functionality though...

I still remember when the very first Steam review of X-Plane 11 compared it to watching paint dry. No matter the hardware, it is only to be expected that several reviews will be ridiculous.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2020 at 9:54 PM, ChaoticBeauty said:

I still remember when the very first Steam review of X-Plane 11 compared it to watching paint dry.

Has that changed then? 🙂

• Like 4

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Well - I think most of the kids on Steam have rather beefy computers to be able to run their other games. But for sure, I helped a friend's son that said that Fortnite ran like **** on his computer. I realized that his compliant was that he "only" had 100 fps... But his Ryzen 3000 with an RTX 2070 will run MSFS good I think...

So all of us that have bought it on Steam will have to balance the reviews with a more mature perspective if it happens 🙂 This is the first AAA simulator in decades so if I see the underlying potential in MSFS that I expect to do - I will be very forgiving in my review with minor blemishes and quirks. I fully expect these to be ironed out over the coming years...

Edited by mazex
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

On 8/10/2020 at 1:12 PM, Martin Byrde said:

Reading all the comments over there....noticed too many people with i3/i5 cpu's, 4-8gb ram, GTX 9series and low end 10series cards buying FS2020.  The kids over at Steam are in for a big shock next week.  I feel bad for devs that receive negative reviews from ppl buying new AAA 2020 software with 5-10yr old computers.......maybe i'm wrong and FS2020 will run 1 day on the ipad or a toaster😆😁

Lyn the trucker

FSX - XP11 - MSFS         Ryzen 5900x - Asus X570 VIII Hero - RTX 4090 - G.SKILL Trident 32 GB DDR4 - WD SN750 M2 1TB + Samsung SSD 250GB - HP Reverb G2 - Win 10/64

There's also gonna be a lot of reviews complaining about how boring the sim is.

And DLC, a lot of people will complain about that too once that really gets underway.

People running on the minimum specs are the grandparents of the average steam user I would suppose. And albeit the grandparents could be good sim customers, I doubt they will litter the reviews with trash. I have faith in MSFS, and I think people will be amazed by it to such a degree that even if they dont know much about sims and sim history, they will forgive it it's flaws. But I might be wrong... 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Mixed reviews on Steam so far, sadly there are lots of negative ones regarding the download client's issues and missing Premium Deluxe content, and many are making an excellent point. The launcher counts towards your Steam playtime, which means that you will not be able to refund the game after getting to try it, unless you have an insane connection speed.

After the glowing critic reviews this isn't a good look for the simulator. They really should have ensured that the client wasn't half-baked before release, and perhaps simulate a launch situation with the Closed Beta.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Mixed reviews on Steam so far

Almost all reviews on Steam are mixed.  It's nothing to worry about.

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

6 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Almost all reviews on Steam are mixed.  It's nothing to worry about.

Whenever I check a game's store page it's almost always Mostly/Very Positive, with Overwhelmingly Positive not being too rare either. Most of the time Mixed and Negative applies to games with technical issues such as this one. Right now it's in second place in the Top Sellers list which means that most of the sales are taking place now, and I think this could negatively impact the game's appeal considering most people seem to want to apply for a refund and will not update their reviews later. A missed opportunity for the critical acclaim to be followed up by positive user comments.

• Like 1