Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

A forum, a circus or a church ?

This forum now grows rapidly and this will accelerate The Day AfterTM. An explosion of posts. Raving and ranting in all directions.  Like with any other release but with a twist. A large crowd of beta testers will open their big mouth. The Insiders forum is said to have been a dumpster fire as of late...

And this brings the question, what do we want ?

A forum, this wonderful invention of  the Greek and Roman Antiquity to which the Information Age has given a new life, where people debate, sometimes hotly but gentlemanly, the affairs of the day ? A free-for all circus with flaming one-liners and mob behaviour ?  A church  where fanatics have always a bundle of wood ready and reject the outer world. FS20 is a-comin' ! FS20 is a-comin' ! Burn the nitpickers !  P3D is dead ! XP is dead !  

Lets be cool, happy for the many new good things that Asobo brings to us, not blind  to what is wrong and vindictive toward those who say it.

FS20 is not a gift, we do not have to be grateful for it. It is a product sold on a market for a price. Like a new car,  a new utensil to make bread, a pound of strawberries. You may be glad to have bought it  but you don't send Valentine cards to your local grocery, hardware store or automobile dealership, do you ?   

FS20 is not the second coming either. It is a significant step, fascinating on several levels (for me at least, re : AI on GIS data), to integrate modern technologies into our favorite past time. It is a milestone in the history of simulation and maybe more than that (Earth Digital Twin). But from what I selfishly and narrowly see as a simmer (FS20 should be my 17th sim I reckon), from I hear here or on other forums and private conversations, it is both breathtaking on some aspects and has flaws on others. And some of the flaws are annoying and might not be so easy to fix. Lets be ready for it.  

Yes but what about Microsoft long-term commitment to FS20  ? Well, there is this old saying which rules large organization and politics which says 'promises only bind those who believe in them' or , to say it another way and plagiarize Santayana  'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to cry their eyes out again'. I hope that MS will be true to its word, actually I think they will for the next two or three years at least, but  the only thing I know for 100% sure is  that we have several rather good sims these days to choose from and I wish that the situation lasts. You never know. 

Again, lets be cool ! 

Ah yes another thing before I forget, good luck to the mods 😉.

• Like 19
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Whilst I agree with what you say, it's still fresh in my addled old brain, what happened to another thread urging us to be nice to each other. It went 'tissia ylös'.

Bon chance.

• Like 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

37 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

The Insiders forum is said to have been a dumpster fire as of late...

Wait... who said it was a dumpster fire?

Did I accidentally mention that it put me in mind of a Chinese fire drill?  Or maybe a circus?  

Well, in any case, there have been some absolute gems posted there, some of the best writing I've seen on a forum.  It pains me greatly not to be able to repost them outside the Beta community.

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

3 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Wait... who said it was a dumpster fire?

Did I accidentally mention that it put me in mind of a Chinese fire drill?  Or maybe a circus?  

Well, in any case, there have been some absolute gems posted there, some of the best writing I've seen on a forum.  It pains me greatly not to be able to repost them outside the Beta community.

Hook

Avsim is not the only place to get infos 😄.  I am sure there were great contributions because I know a lot of very good people from various nationalities who were serious testers. I feel also there is a need for many to say things they felt they had to keep for themselves (NDA etc.).  Don't  be sad not to be able to repost the gems of some. They will.  Hopefully

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

5 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Don't  be sad not to be able to repost the gems of some. They will.  Hopefully

Yeah, they posted one of my comments from the Microsoft Flight beta forum.

I've read things you people wouldn't believe. I just hope all those moments will not be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Larry Hookins

It certainly has been more of a circus than a forum for discussing the new game.

I find great amusement in reading much of what people post.

I think many people need to keep this game in perspective. It is only a game. It appears that for some it is all consuming of their life or free time. The infatuation with this product is so way over the top it's just crazy. It's probably going to release and a firestorm will erupt that it doesn't have this or that. They didn't listen to us serious simmers, etc. Hopefully people can keep in mind this is a game not a level D simulator. After all it is for Xbox and a PC.

I believe X-Plane & P3D are not going away anytime soon.

Hopefully things will settle down on here and become more civil and helpful. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tpete61 said:

It appears that for some it is all consuming of their life or free time.

I'm retired.  What else should I be doing?  Watching TV?  😄 

Hook

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Larry Hookins

47 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Whilst I agree with what you say, it's still fresh in my addled old brain, what happened to another thread urging us to be nice to each other. It went 'tissia ylös'.

Bon chance.

You mean that my post was a total waste of time ? Of course, it was ! I  didn't try to have people to be nice to each others, just to be open-minded. Which is also an absolute losing proposition, I know.

But, on the other hand, I was waiting for my levain to rise and it was too hot outside to tend the garden, I was tired to comment the French politics so  I said to myself, why not writing a post about inquisitors and cheerleaders. Only  thing, be a diplomat.  Also, it cannot be bad to practice my written English a little bit. 

• Like 4

Dominique

1 hour ago, Dominique_K said:

"A church  where fanatics have always a bundle of wood ready and reject the outer world."

I realize your post was tongue and cheek, but this statement is a little offensive.

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

3 minutes ago, SmokeDiddy said:

I realize your post was tongue and cheek, but this statement is a little offensive.

He's studied the Middle Ages.

Hook

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Just now, SmokeDiddy said:

A 'little' offensive is OK. 'Very' offensive is borderline and means you probably shouldn't read it.

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

1 minute ago, Ron Attwood said:

A 'little' offensive is OK. 'Very' offensive is borderline and means you probably shouldn't read it.

Aye, my hypocrisy goes only so far....haha

• Like 4

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

Expecting a massive increase of threads and posts after release of MSFS, I just have one wish for this forum:

Keep it organized.

- Thread titles should be informative regarding the content of the thread.

- Just one thread per topic.

- Posts should remain on topic. 

What we have seen here in the recent week was just a mess. Thread titles as clickbait drama. Multiple threads with the same topics. People hijacking every thread to talk about things like trees and flight dynamics or turning interesting threads into just plain nonsense. I'm still trying to read it all because between all the trash talk there still is valuable information to be found. But it's getting harder and harder to find and I won't be reading that much anymore after release of the sim. 

I know the moderators do what they can and have a hard time coping with it and it will only get harder, but I wish this would be enforced more strictly. Btw. thanks a lot for the Tips and Tricks Subforum!

Edited by RALF9636

18 minutes ago, SmokeDiddy said:

Sorry, no intent to offend anyone.  Now, in a first draft, I had a quote from one of my favorite American novelists, Chester Himes, about Harlem Holy Rollers. I was prudent enough to cut it out 😄. You are never too prudent.

Dominique