Sign in to follow this  
atlflyer

Can anyone confirm how much cache you can store for offline?

3 minutes ago, Chock said:

I developed from using quick typing keyboard settings for the tools in Photoshop; it's a little quicker to type 22, 33, 44 etc

and you call yourself a professional simmer 🙂

It's time I open my 10 year old bourbon and slowly watch for the download.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

1 minute ago, hangar said:

does anyone know if the rolling cache is saved or cleared after sim is shut down?

thats what im curious about...and how do I save the downloaded areas? On the screenshots I dont see where to save the areas. 

1 minute ago, hangar said:

does anyone know if the rolling cache is saved or cleared after sim is shut down?

Wouldn't it be a bit pointless clearing it?

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

1 minute ago, atlflyer said:

thats what im curious about...and how do I save the downloaded areas? On the screenshots I dont see where to save the areas. 

I’ve just explained how to do that, check first page of this post. 

7 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

Wouldn't it be a bit pointless clearing it?

Well, IMO it would yes. But there's going to be plenty of pointless issues to work through I'm sure :-)...so I'm wondering how it works by default with this.

16 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

You can manually save areas of your choice in the settings, mania cache area. Shows you a pic of the world and you can select what area etc.... I bet that comes in handy for some people. You can pre download them too. 

if you select manual cache, does it turn preload off or can both be turned on? 

it's a layered scenery with rolling cache, the more you fly in an area the more scenery you download, if you set your cache to 100Gb then once it hit the max it will start to roll, you can save the cache on a diff medium.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

5 minutes ago, atlflyer said:

if you select manual cache, does it turn preload off or can both be turned on? 

You can use them both independently  of each other from what I can see 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

it's a layered scenery with rolling cache, the more you fly in an area the more scenery you download, if you set your cache to 100Gb then once it hit the max it will start to roll, you can save the cache on a diff medium.

Lets say you set cache at 100GB and then you fly around a large area regularly and end up with 99GB of cached data being saved in a folder you've specified...so my question now would be...before I reach 100GB (when this cache begins to roll over) is there a way to permanently save that 99GB so it wont roll over and erase itself?

2 minutes ago, hangar said:

Lets say you set cache at 100GB and then you fly around a large area regularly and end up with 99GB of cached data being saved in a folder you've specified...so my question now would be...before I reach 100GB (when this cache begins to roll over) is there a way to permanently save that 99GB so it wont roll over and erase itself?

i think thats where the manual save comes into play? So it saves the last 100GB youve cached? not sure though as I have not played it yet but thats really the question I was trying to get at 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hangar said:

Yes, just manually save that area.

So then are you saying that you have no control over that cached data, and that it will roll over no matter what?

To me that would say that if there's any scenery area that you want to save permanently to your drive then you MUST use the manual saving feature, is this correct?

Edited by hangar

what I'd like to know is if there's a difference performance with the cache drive being HDD or SSD. Cost wise a pair of 8Tb would be cheaper.