Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

The Rolling Cache

I changed the settings by setting the limit to 500 and the path to my D drive and it's taking forever to update the rolling cashe. Any idea of how long this takes and why?

Thanks.

Jose

PS: If you want to avoid this wait time avoid what I just did. 😀

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

that will run all night from my experience... around 5hrs to build. It builds some kind of 500gb file instead of making a 500gb folder 

2 minutes ago, kand said:

that will run all night from my experience... around 5hrs to build. It builds some kind of 500gb file instead of making a 500gb folder 

5 hours. If I stop the process and start all over I'll actually be flying in 2. This sucks!

just kill fs and start again, delete the .CCC file

20 minutes ago, DJJose said:

I changed the settings by setting the limit to 500 and the path to my D drive and it's taking forever to update the rolling cashe. Any idea of how long this takes and why?

Thanks.

Jose

PS: If you want to avoid this wait time avoid what I just did. 😀

I did that to a m.2 drive, 100gb and it’s took 3 mins. 

3 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I did that to a m.2 drive, 100gb and it’s took 3 mins. 

Mine is an SSD.

It's still going. I'm seriously thinking about hitting the restart button and resetting the computer. Thankfully I always backup.

This is why people that know what they are doing should be beta testing. I would have notified the dev team and someone else would have avoided this mess.

Edited by DJJose
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, kand said:

I'll try that 1st. Thanks.

It was at 306GIG

Edited by DJJose

24 minutes ago, kand said:

This worked for me. MAke sure you delete the right .CCC file.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

34 minutes ago, DJJose said:

This is why people that know what they are doing should be beta testing. I would have notified the dev team and someone else would have avoided this mess.

Well, how do you know they didn't notify the dev team?

If you have wanderlust and will be exploring every corner of the globe - you might as well keep it at the default settings because the whole point of the rolling cache is to help when you frequently visit areas you've already downloaded. I get it that one might want to capture all the scenery data they've downloaded on the chance they visit that area again, but I wonder if such a large file will create some file system churn and unexpected overhead.

Personally, I'd recommend keeping it at the default values and after a week of flying check your data download usage counter in the sim. Instead of throwing 500GB at it from the start, you might find you only need to allocate 50GB (or less).... especially if you find yourself focusing your flight time in certain specific regions of the world, such as the Pacific northwest, New England, Alaska, the British isles, the Caribbean, etc.

My hope is that the rolling cache isn't just FIFO, but puts a little more weight on keeping the areas that it sees you using the most. That would be very useful for people who primarily fly around their home airports, but occasionally jump out to other parts of the world on a whim. I guess we'll see.

Onward and upward,

-Greg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

Mine is an SSD.

It's still going. I'm seriously thinking about hitting the restart button and resetting the computer. Thankfully I always backup.

You think we didn't 🤣

André

10 minutes ago, greggerm said:

If you have wanderlust and will be exploring every corner of the globe - you might as well keep it at the default settings because the whole point of the rolling cache is to help when you frequently visit areas you've already downloaded. I get it that one might want to capture all the scenery data they've downloaded on the chance they visit that area again, but I wonder if such a large file will create some file system churn and unexpected overhead.

Personally, I'd recommend keeping it at the default values and after a week of flying check your data download usage counter in the sim. Instead of throwing 500GB at it from the start, you might find you only need to allocate 50GB (or less).... especially if you find yourself focusing your flight time in certain specific regions of the world, such as the Pacific northwest, New England, Alaska, the British isles, the Caribbean, etc.

I have been reading this thread thinking the same thing. I will be all over the world. Will I go back to the same places? Sure but not enough to keep it cached. I think over 50gb is pointless for me.

Edited by B777ER
  • Upvote 1

Eric 

I had my rolling cache set to 50 GB during alpha and beta (which I used 4 hours ago for the last time - will miss those Gamertags all over the screen 😉). And tell you what? It was just filled with 12 GB of downloaded scenery in the end. Admittedly, I dont't do multi-hour airliner flights. But to give you a figure... Also, setting it to something like 500 GB seems not to help much, as scenery updates were announced for every some months, so you won't want to keep outdated scenery in your cache.

1 hour ago, kand said:

This worked! Thanks!

I managed to set up the controllers that I could actually use. GoFlight throttle does not work. I flew from KBKV-KTPA with the lowest settings and I could not get past medium before the sim slowed to bellow acceptable levels. I could not enable traffic and had to fly with a few clouds.

I'm glad I still have my other sims. If and when I upgrade I'll try again, but for now it's a no go for me.

Hi Jose,

have you by chance increased the graphics scaling to over 100%? This is a huge framerate eater on weaker graphics cards.

The beta worked quite well on my humble system with most settings on high, but I plan to upgrade RAM to 32 GB and buy a new graphics card (my old Geforce 970 is way too weak, made noise like a vacuum cleaner). All in all I'm impressed how well the performance is scalable in the sim.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 2:07 PM, DJJose said:

24 hours on and we're beyond "people that know what they're doing should be beta testing".  There's gonna be tens of thousands of new users hitting "rolling cache configuration" and if they're among the savviest, they'll be able to guess they want some and may have watched Squirrel's YouTube video that showed a 500GB cache. And FS2020 will blissfully let them set that without even a warning that "several minutes" may in fact be enough that you will not go flying today.