Sign in to follow this  
IgorBR

Was it a good decision not to buy MSFS2020 after release?

Very happy with my purchase. 158 hours so far, but maybe 125 excluding downloads. Excellent bang for the buck, but I suspect the wife hates it. If not, I am sure she will at some point lol. 

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

I think the fact a thread which was both started and last contributed to on launch day, 10 weeks ago, has been resurrected is very telling.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Having taken the last few days trying to understand why this version of MSFS 2020 does not act like a normal flight simulator and having tried altering the control sensitivities in the cfg files to reduce the twitchiness, I now realise that the problem appears to be the various aircraft aerodynamic calculations, nothing to do with the control inputs. Although it is known that as aircraft bank, the vertical lift decreases, in this simulator, a bank totally removes the lift such as to allow the aircraft to descend towards the ground unnaturally. I am now reverting back to previous flight simulators until such time Microsoft get around its problems as I have no doubt they will eventually. However as previously mentioned I wish I had not spent a £100 on this one.

1 hour ago, g-ciao said:

Having taken the last few days trying to understand why this version of MSFS 2020 does not act like a normal flight simulator and having tried altering the control sensitivities in the cfg files to reduce the twitchiness, I now realise that the problem appears to be the various aircraft aerodynamic calculations, nothing to do with the control inputs. Although it is known that as aircraft bank, the vertical lift decreases, in this simulator, a bank totally removes the lift such as to allow the aircraft to descend towards the ground unnaturally. I am now reverting back to previous flight simulators until such time Microsoft get around its problems as I have no doubt they will eventually. However as previously mentioned I wish I had not spent a £100 on this one.

I don't know whether Asobo messed up the aerodynamics or whether you encountered a situation in which real airplanes have a tendency to lose lift. Wing aerodynamics is pretty complex and leads to many unexpected problems, such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorotation_(fixed-wing_aircraft), for instance. The best way to know what is the case is to know the airplane really well (cruise speed, stall speed, maneuvering speed etc) and to make sure that it flies under conditions for which it was designed. If the airplane then still behaves funny, tell it to "fly straight and be serious" (https://www.aviation24.be/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61144😉 )

Peter

Hi Peter

As you can see from my previous comments for fifty odd years I was a development pilot, vc10's tridents viscounts etc I can assure you this MSFS is faulty, graphically beautiful but for a pilot pointless, just look at the dozens of comments in the MSFS forums.

Today I downloaded yet another update 1.11.20 and even this update is unusable. The people involved appear clueless.The simulator is not developed for a pilot to fly. I can only assume that either those using the sim and seem satisfied, are xbox people who don't know how a proper sim works or they are commenting on the graphics which are good.

2 hours ago, g-ciao said:

The simulator is not developed for a pilot to fly.

Sir, actually "simulator for pilot to fly" using home PC never exist. All previous flight simulators as well as FS2020 for entertainment purposes only. FS2020 a toy!😄

You, as a real pilot, are trying to find at the toy-store something never exist and will not exist in a nearest future.

Edited by OSM

Although I have used Steam for years and have literally hundreds of applications purchased via it, I preferred to get MSFS direct from MS itself. Been pretty happy with it so far.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I can assure you that FSX in its day, from a pilots point of view, developed into a very close match to real flying. So much so I used it and p3d to train chaps to fly and navigate and save themselves substantial amount of money before taking their actual CAA tests.

1 hour ago, g-ciao said:

Hi Peter

As you can see from my previous comments for fifty odd years I was a development pilot, vc10's tridents viscounts etc I can assure you this MSFS is faulty, graphically beautiful but for a pilot pointless, just look at the dozens of comments in the MSFS forums.

The only thing the pilots' comments agree on are that airliners currently leave much to be desired. Looking at their comments on VFR flying in smaller aircraft, yes, there are pilots that would agree with you, but I see other seemingly experienced pilots that are quite happy with MSFS overall.

Whom should I trust then? 

• Like 1

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

1 hour ago, g-ciao said:

Hi Peter

Today I downloaded yet another update 1.11.20 and even this update is unusable. The people involved appear clueless.The simulator is not developed for a pilot to fly. I can only assume that either those using the sim and seem satisfied, are xbox people who don't know how a proper sim works or they are commenting on the graphics which are good.

Hi G-Ciao,

well, I did the right thing then by purchasing P3D 5.1 yesterday (I was still on 4.5, waiting how things evolve) .

I am not a real pilot, just an experienced simmer. I am really impressed by Asobo's work, but I would miss my high-quality aircraft. Take my last flight in P3D: I am getting ready for touchdown with the Milviz KingAir 350i, only to realize that I can't lower the gear. Then I circle to gain time and go through all possible checklists and possible solutions. Finally, I realize that the circuit braker for the gear mechanism isn't in. I push it and the gear gets ready for landing. I really had a blast 🙂

It will probably take a year or so until MSFS can offer something with this level of realism, but I am convinced that they will get there. Until then: P3D 5.1, here I come.

Peter 

39 minutes ago, g-ciao said:

I can assure you that FSX in its day, from a pilots point of view, developed into a very close match to real flying. So much so I used it and p3d to train chaps to fly and navigate and save themselves substantial amount of money before taking their actual CAA tests.

Have you tried Rob Young's Bonanza mod in MSFS?

I wonder what you think of it... Rob Young (RealAir) produced some of the best flight models for FSX..

Bert

1 hour ago, g-ciao said:

And was that two months after the release of FSX? Thought not, it was a hot mess for a long time after its release....

Edited by stigt
  • Like 1

Arjen Nederstigt

System:

Intel Skylake Core i7 6700K @ 4.0GHz / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme / Kingston 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz, CL15

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 

1 hour ago, g-ciao said:

Sir, using a TOY is a common practice to demonstrate fundamental principles of a real issues, like in our case aeronautical fundamentals. But toy airplane always remains a toy.

What makes you think it is a toy. Xbox may be  Ask the chaps who saved a thousand or two in flying an instructional aircraft. Just imagine having to rent an airline simulator at £3000 an hour to get your hours up. Why do you think Lockheed took on Microsoft flight simulator, because it represented a close proximity to the real thing. 

31 minutes ago, g-ciao said:

What makes you think it is a toy...

Your statement as a real pilot, Sir. And I am absolutely agree with you!

5 hours ago, g-ciao said:

...MSFS is faulty, graphically beautiful but for a pilot pointless.

...The simulator is not developed for a pilot to fly.

Edited by OSM