Sign in to follow this  
IgorBR

Was it a good decision not to buy MSFS2020 after release?

I am constantly taking a look at MSFS2020 on the Steam throughout today, the reviews went from very positive to mixed - which is very bad indicator. I know, reviews below 1K is not much yet. When reading the reviews, many complain of technical issues - such as buying premium deluxe edition and not having all the content, contacting steam support and steam support telling to contact microsoft and then the microsoft telling the opposite; buying it on steam but having to create x-box account etc.).

I do not think this is a good reputation for a high-profile product such as this one to have several screw-ups during the official release. I wonder if the publisher will be either willing to reimburse the unsatisfied buyers or going to give them some kind of compensation, discount, additional premium content down the line. Seems to be extremely buggy and I start to think about postponing my purchase. I was battling with my emotions which told me to buy this product straight away, on the other hand I wanted to see what the people will be talking about it just after the release.

My question is, if you have not bought MS2020 yet, are you going to buy it on steam or will you rather buy it straight from Microsoft?

Bought it straight from MS don't regret it. I don't use steam.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

2 minutes ago, IgorBR said:

I am constantly taking a look at MSFS2020 on the Steam throughout today, the reviews went from very positive to mixed - which is very bad indicator. I know, reviews below 1K is not much yet. When reading the reviews, many complain of technical issues - such as buying premium deluxe edition and not having all the content, contacting steam support and steam support telling to contact microsoft and then the microsoft telling the opposite; buying it on steam but having to create x-box account etc.).

I do not think this is a good reputation for a high-profile product such as this one to have several screw-ups during the official release. I wonder if the publisher will be either willing to reimburse the unsatisfied buyers or going to give them some kind of compensation, discount, additional premium content down the line. Seems to be extremely buggy and I start to think about postponing my purchase. I was battling with my emotions which told me to buy this product straight away, on the other hand I wanted to see what the people will be talking about it just after the release.

My question is, if you have not bought MS2020 yet, are you going to buy it on steam or will you rather buy it straight from Microsoft?

1 dollar on xbox game pass.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I have been critical of the sim but all sims have their teething years.  I think over the next couple years this will become the go to sim but for now just needs a few updates.  It is still perfectly playable and enjoyable with the GA aircraft.

I feel it was over hyped and maybe it is great but us non alpha/beta testers need to spend a week or two just getting used to it, then I think it will review better.  The testers had almost 6 months to figure it out.  

• Like 1

Sean Green

The negative reviews are people complaining they cannot refund the game because the download is longer than there 2 hours of refund time.

Theyre not really complaining about the game itself

• Like 1

Steam reviews are often a poor barometer in the hours following release since people usually give instant negative reviews if something goes awry during installation.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Well in my case got a cheap first month Xbox Game Pass offer, downloaded and installed without any particular issue, did some flights with smooth fps and beautiful graphcis, 10/10 will do it again in the coming days 🙂
If you're mainly about GA aircrafts you'll be plenty happy, if you're more about the airliners and one of the "serious/hardcore" simmer then yeah you'll probably have some mixed feelings about some stuff but it will improve over time.

• Upvote 1

I think negative comments are mostly coming from people having download and install problems. I think teething issues like these with a product of that scale are to be expected on release day, I think these comments are not reflective to the overall quality of the sim, I'm sure they will be fixed soon. Gamers on steam are pretty quick to downvote games shall they encounter problems, I think simmers know it is just a start.. 

I love this Steam comment:

Loading page locked up.
Loading page slow, started 91 GB download. Crashed.
Loading page locked up.
Loading page slow, said it started download, went to black screen and locked.

So far this is a perfect simulation of 2020 flight travel.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/thyst67/recommended/1250410/

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

@IgorBR You can get a refund on Steam if you've not played an hour, no issue. Also download and install issues are down to Microsoft, once the 1 GB launcher is installed from Steam servers that pulls everything directly from MS.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

i dit not have any problems so far.
I bought through Microsoft shop, download without problems took 1 hour 23 minutes.  the installation and update to premium version also went smoothly.  First short flight and my impression is positive.

Jac 

PC Specs: 

/MoBo: Asus Rampage V Extreme/CPU: Intel ®  Core i7 5930k @ 3.5 Ghz OC 4.2 Ghz/CPU Cooling: Hydro series H100i / RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400MHz/ SSD: 4x Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512 GB/SSD: 1x Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB M.2 /PSU: Corsair RM  850

/GPU: NVidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti OC 11 GB (Asus ROG STRIX Gaming) /Monitor:  Asus ROG 348Q Res, 3440x1440 / OC 100 Hz /OS: Windows 10 Professional 64 bit - Version Build 19041 

FlightSim: P3Dv5 HF2 & MSFS 2020 Hardware: Yoko Yoke+ ; Yoke TQ6+ 

14 minutes ago, Theboot100 said:

The negative reviews are people complaining they cannot refund the game because the download is longer than there 2 hours of refund time.

That's a valid point though. If the sim counts the install and download period as game time, it essentially undercuts the Steam refund policy, which is a problem.

5 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

That's a valid point though. If the sim counts the install and download period as game time, it essentially undercuts the Steam refund policy, which is a problem.

And that is exactly what is happening.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, VBHB said:

Bought it straight from MS don't regret it. I don't use steam.

Thanks for letting me know.