Sign in to follow this  
fenice80

Press any key to start - Flight Simulator 2020

I have solved the problem "Press any key to start" and loop black screen, after hours and hours of headcache:

I missed the xbox app and services, so first of all, you need to:
  1. install Xbox App from microsoft store
  2. open Xbox App and check to have installed:
  3. - Xbox Identity Provider
  4. - Purchase App
  5. - Feedback Hub
  6. wait the installation then run as administrator Flight Simulator from start
  7. Now, you will have to press a key and finally you will be asked to login in the Xbox live with your microsoft account.
  8. continue and you will start to can download or play with your game.

After this experience I will NEVER buy again from Microsoft store, anything. They are totally a shame.
  • Like 2

Agreed... The Microsoft Store is quite broken compared to the reliability of the Xbox Store in my opinion.

My install error was the same as many others had:  after press any key, would get message "We can't sync your data with the cloud right now."

All the posts today seemed to say most had success with simply doing a “restart and run installer as administrator” and “if that doesn’t work, uninstall and reinstall the MSFS app from the Store then run as Admin”, or “turn off Microsoft Defender firewalls”... the culprit for me was ONLY the above install error. In my opinion, the above install error was totally an avoidable 8-9 hours of frustration, as this error was due only to the Network > Network Connectivity section of the Xbox App. Note, this is not Internet connectivity, it is the connectivity between the Xbox App (that is probably already in your Start Menu, may be listed as Xbox Console Companion.) The Network Connectivity section specifically has to do with multi-player, and cross-platform connectivity, and other things... but if the Network Connectivity shows an error in the app, must be corrected following the 7 or so steps that the app will direct you to.

In my opinion, this error probably could have been resolved during the initial install startup with a simple Checksum process, give the user the same link that I’m sharing below if an Xbox App Network Connecticut error is found.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/windows-games-wont-sync-to-cloud/16c1e970-06ca-40b6-97d1-94a74733640a

I hope this helps other MSFS 2020 users to save some time... it’s the only thing that worked for me.

Well, I’m fully installed with Premium Deluxe and off to flying / looking forward to seeing this MSFS 2020 world!

L+11

My question is why is this "Press any key to start" useful for? What are the other options? If there is only one path forward and none backward then why is user input even needed?

I'm wondering too. If it was after the game loaded completely ready to fly i would understand but we have the "FLY" button for that. Why the "Press any key to start" sits there in the middle of the loading process is beyond me.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

Ye the windows store is a virus. XD

All other games I have install to one directory as I specify. 

Win store installed a bunch of folders on my F: drive that I dont want cluttered.  I have my games there. Now I have Program files, WindowsApps. and bla bla. 

Plus my MSFS2020 folder with the actual sim files. 

I hate Windows store!. 

7 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

I'm wondering too. If it was after the game loaded completely ready to fly i would understand but we have the "FLY" button for that. Why the "Press any key to start" sits there in the middle of the loading process is beyond me.

Ye. I dont get hat! Many games that are made for consoles have that. 

Rainbow Six Siege has that. 

MSFS2020 has that.

I hate it. I wanna be able to start a game, Go grab a drink and come back loaded and done. but noooo I have to come back, press that key and wait again......

35 minutes ago, mullvaden83 said:

Ye the windows store is a virus. XD

All other games I have install to one directory as I specify. 

Win store installed a bunch of folders on my F: drive that I dont want cluttered.  I have my games there. Now I have Program files, WindowsApps. and bla bla. 

Plus my MSFS2020 folder with the actual sim files. 

I hate Windows store!. 

Like Steam is any better. That is just all over the place on your computer (and in your registry). Even after uninstalling Steam (and when i uninstall something, i want it to be gone.... entirely), there are zillions of leftovers to be found.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

10 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Like Steam is any better. That is just all over the place on your computer (and in your registry). Even after uninstalling Steam (and when i uninstall something, i want it to be gone.... entirely), there are zillions of leftovers to be found.

Blizzard does it right. I have Wow, CoD MW, Starcraft 2 and so on each in thier folders where I want them. 

Some companies just dont learn. Makes a mess in ppls systems...

On 8/18/2020 at 5:28 PM, lplus11 said:

Agreed... The Microsoft Store is quite broken compared to the reliability of the Xbox Store in my opinion.

Wait, what? There is a difference between the Xbox Store and Microsoft(Windows) Store?