Sign in to follow this  
mlmcasual

Stutter fix and getting stunning 120fps smooth display at 4K

2 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Can you post a video showing your 120fps 4K ULTRA .please.

He's saying 120 Hz, not FPS. His TV interpolates the locked 30 FPS out of the GPU up to 120 Hz on the screen.

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

Yes, the TV interpolates. TV frame rate Interpolation is a thing that has been around for years but I found to be unusable for Video as it adds input lag and artifacts in fast panning. 

However, MS FS 2020 being a flight sim is the exception because there is no fast panning or super fast input (twitch FPS shooter speed level). So you wind up with a super smooth 120 hz (upscaled)  fast responding visual.

The great thing about the upcoming patch and the ones after that is that performance will get better.  I've seen it before with prior updates.  The stuttering and low fps have not always been there.  So, I know they can fix that.  My recommendation would be to wait until there is a patch before you mess with other settings, unless you like the extra work 🙂

Edited by marc1184

On 8/18/2020 at 10:47 AM, mlmcasual said:

Just got FS2020 running.  I am running an I9-9900K/2080TI on a 65" Samsung q7 (hdr  tv).  

what do you get at places like heathrow and los angeles 

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!

Alexander Shepherd

On 8/18/2020 at 11:34 PM, FlyBaby said:

My fix was to set my Tv to 30hz (or 1/2 refresh for 60hz etc).....turn on Vsync and set MSFS limit to 60...not 30, but 60. Very smooth flight. 

This also worked for me using an older, inexpensive 32" 4k monitor. I can only set it to 30Hz or 60Hz. At first, I tried running it at 2k, but it didn't look good, and performance wasn't great. This confirms my understanding that cheap 4k monitors may not be very good at displaying non-4k images. The sim is now very smooth, and if it drops below 30fps, it is only for a second and it only goes a couple frames below.

I'll look into a different display in the future, but I want to see what my next GPU will be first. I don't want to buy a g-sync monitor only to end up buying a AMD card. Of course, it will probably be an Nvidia card (2080TI or 3000 series), but I'll have to see where things shake out.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

On 8/18/2020 at 5:47 PM, mlmcasual said:

Just got FS2020 running.  I am running an I9-9900K/2080TI on a 65" Samsung q7 (hdr  tv).  

Out of the box, I set everything to  4K,Ultra, and HDR.  Vsynch off.   and tried a few landing challenges. Seeing this on a modern HDR 4K TV  is photo-real.  

I was getting FPS ranging from 35 to 50.  However I noticed massive FRAME pacing stutter..  where frame to frame could change so drastically it would make it look jerky.

It would be smooth for a few seconds, hit a drop in FPS and that drop would cause a jarring stutter.

So, I set FS 2020 graphics to Vsynch on, and 30 FPS limit. I then turned on my Samsung TV (motion smoothing) which interpolates 30fps to 120fps. and  BEHOLD- now running a constant 30FPS that interpolates to 120FPS with no more jerkiness or drops.

I now see 120FPS looking hyper smooth flights. The TV does an amazing job of interpolating the motion and keeping everything sharp so it REALLY does look like a native 120hz even though it's being updated by FS at 30hz.

If you connect your HDR 4k TV to MS FS.. and do this trick.. even if you have to bump down the graphics settings, the advantage of getting a 120hz with no glitching/hickups is absoutely mindblowing ultra real and will take you to the next level- true REAL TIME looking motion.

I have flown in a small Cessna (centurion) many times and I noticed at this 120hz TV setting, the tiny micro motions from turbulence you see in real life get very accurately portrayed  in MSFS2020. 

Once you see this game at ultra being interpolated up to 120hz (with no stutters whatsoever) you can't unsee it you will be so amazed. If you have ever flown small prop planes in real-life, you know the one thing Flight sims have been missing is being able to portray the small fast changing motion of those fast small eddys that bounce you around. Seeing these small motions now.. and at 4k-ultra is true next level looking.

Worth a try if you can.

Hello, can you show me your ingame, nvidia & monitor settings please. Highly appreciated. It is almost smooth but occasional microstutters. Thx very much/ very good hint from your side!! 👍👍

52 minutes ago, cavok0604 said:

Hello, can you show me your ingame, nvidia & monitor settings please. Highly appreciated. It is almost smooth but occasional microstutters. Thx very much/ very good hint from your side!! 👍👍

It's not necessary to drag out an outdated August 2020 post on performance when it's irrelevant today after 3 major updates and 2 hf later! Everyone's sim was butter smooth on release. The sim was in it's infancy and not cluttered up with mods.

tpewpb-6.png

On 8/19/2020 at 3:46 PM, FlyBaby said:

Some monitors do not allow changing the hz setting, so you will have to use the 1/2 setting in the vsync option in Nvidia / CP / inspector (assuming that your monitor is 60hz to begin with).

Nvidia half refresh won't work as MSFS is not exclusive fullscreen.

MSi Rivatuner will. Set it to Scanline " /2 " and the value next to it as " -1."

This assumes your monitor is running at 60hz and you have Vert Sync ON and 60 FPS.

Your in sim FPS should then be 30 fixed.

On 8/19/2020 at 11:45 PM, ZKOKQ said:

Does it still work if the TV is not HDR+ ? I noticed Auto motion smoothing is greyed out, when having my PC attached. 43" K series Samsung.

This is because you have the TV set to Game mode.

Do not do this. Use any other mode and the increased lag shouldn't matter in a flight sim.

Then you can use HDR and Motion Smoothing settings.

20 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

This is because you have the TV set to Game mode.

Do not do this. Use any other mode and the increased lag shouldn't matter in a flight sim.

Then you can use HDR and Motion Smoothing settings.

All good. Sorted that not long after I posted the Question 6 months ago 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

On 4/2/2021 at 11:20 AM, ZKOKQ said:

All good. Sorted that not long after I posted the Question 6 months ago 🙂

How?

On 8/31/2020 at 4:50 PM, mlmcasual said:

Yes, the TV interpolates. TV frame rate Interpolation is a thing that has been around for years but I found to be unusable for Video as it adds input lag and artifacts in fast panning. 

However, MS FS 2020 being a flight sim is the exception because there is no fast panning or super fast input (twitch FPS shooter speed level). So you wind up with a super smooth 120 hz (upscaled)  fast responding visual.

can you tell me exactly how did you setup to get smooth sim with true motion? mine is stuttery and i got lg olef 65 cx9la. On ground and in turns not smooth. Thx very much. 🙂