Sign in to follow this  
s.mellah

FPS v.s Stutters

I would like to report and hear about your experience with stutters. In my case eventhough I lower settings to maintain a solid 60fps, every turn and the general feeling is deminished by constent micro stutters. And this is flying Cessna 152.

Do you have the same combo FPS v.s stutters ?

I use the latest Nvidia drivers with a 1070.

Thanks.

Souheil Mellah

Edited by s.mellah

I'm not seeing any sudden fluctuations in frame time, which is what we normally be interpret as a stutter. What resolution are you running at, and what is your CPU, GPU, and RAM combination? Have you tried using any monitoring software to see if you can find a correlation between unexpected utilization changes and the stuttering?

Here are my specs: i5 4670 @ 3,9Ghz, GTX 1070. My resolution is 2560x1440.

I've tried to lower the resolution to 1080. It dosen't change the problem. It's like evry movement is slightly jerky. Kills the immersions. As in P3d the stutters would be frank and would happens on occasion. Here it's like a constent feeling of interrupted movement. Espacialy in turn even the slightest ones. Eventhough FPS are 60 and plus

Thanks for your help.

Edited by s.mellah

A common issue seems to be that everyone is paying attention to the graphics and not enough to the bandwidth setting. If you’ve got a sub-50mb connection you’ll need to lower the default of unlimited to avoid stuttering. It may be the case that you’ve got a fast connection and in which case this won’t help, but it’s helped a lot of other people.

Edited by tronied

Stuttering is different here. You may have a high FPS, but you feel stuttering even when you change the FPS by one division. In P3D, the FPS could swing up and down by five divisions without problems for the eye.

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

I would first attempt to lower the bandwidth you allow the program to consume in the settings to ensure you aren't saturating your connection. If that doesn't work I'd attempt to lower some of the more CPU intensive settings such as traffic.

2 minutes ago, tronied said:

A common issue seems to be that everyone is paying attention to the graphics and not enough to the bandwidth setting. If you’ve got a sub-50mb connection you’ll need to lower the default of unlimited to avoid stuttering. It may be the case that you’ve got a fast connection and in which case this won’t help, but it’s helped a lot of other people.

Thanks for the imput. As a matter of fact I have a 50mb/s connection. How would I correct the setting you're mentionning please ? 

• Like 1

I installed the cache to 100Gb, but this does not prevent stuttering. I fly in a circle over an area that has long been loaded on SSD

Edited by BMW969

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

set it at 30fps, i have nada stutters, and i run a below spec machine.

1 minute ago, wim123 said:

set it at 30fps, i have nada stutters, and i run a below spec machine.

Okay.. with vertical synch On then, is it correct that both settings are fixed together ?

Desktop
i5 6600k @ 4.7 GHz, GTX 1070 (1080p), 32 Gb RAM. CPU 100% GPU 30-50%. Stutters really bad on all settings. Even tried 30% resolution scale running in a tiny window. Tried FPS locking at 15 and 30, VSYNC on/off, no difference.

Laptop
i7-9750H and RTX 2060 (1080p) and 16 Gb RAM. Runs great with no stuttering.

Edited by TheRandomGuy

24 minutes ago, s.mellah said:

Here are my specs: i5 4670 @ 3,9Ghz, GTX 1070. My resolution is 2560x1440.

I've tried to lower the resolution to 1080. It dosen't change the problem. It's like evry movement is slightly jerky. Kills the immersions. As in P3d the stutters would be frank and would happens on occasion. Here it's like a constent feeling of interrupted movement. Espacialy in turn even the slightest ones. Eventhough FPS are 60 and plus

Thanks for your help.

Those specs are the problem I would think.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

26 minutes ago, s.mellah said:

Thanks for the imput. As a matter of fact I have a 50mb/s connection. How would I correct the setting you're mentionning please ? 

Hi, sorry for the late response. It's under the "Data" tab in the options. I think it defaults to Unlimited, so worth setting it to a bit lower to see if it makes a difference.

10 minutes ago, tronied said:

Hi, sorry for the late response. It's under the "Data" tab in the options. I think it defaults to Unlimited, so worth setting it to a bit lower to see if it makes a difference.

Thank you very much. Will report if it makes a difference on my end.

20 hours ago, tronied said:

Hello, 

I changed the bandwidth data, turned on Vsynch with 1/2 refresh rate blocked at 60fps. It clearly helped with the stuters. Now which one of theses trickes did it for me is hard to tell.

I have a question though: how much download data speed should I expect during a flight. Right now, my network activity shows me only 1-2 Mb/s of activity. That leaves me with a lot of headroom ( I have 50mb/s potential)

Thank you all.

Souheil