Sign in to follow this  
bta122

FSX addon aircraft in fs 2020?

Most developers shouldn't worry ... ported aircraft are no match for a true MSFS aircraft.

But it should reduce the pressure on folks to buy from get-rich quick merchants shipping yet-another-Cessna that doesn't particularly work well...

On 8/25/2020 at 2:51 AM, z06z33 said:

Yea but its just source code I have no idea how to make it work.

Wow. What a legend this guy is!

I got my aircraft converted and working. Admittedly its fairly simple.

Simple guide for the non IT literate (in Windows at least)

https://github.com/klasbj/planeconverter

Click Code dropdown, Download zip.

Unzip zip file

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-core/3.1

Click Windows version to download and run to install

Click search in windows

type powershell

run the powershell program

then cd to the directory you unzipped planeconverter to e.g. cd c:\planeconverter-master\PlaneConverter

type:

dotnet run

That should launch the app.

On the update lasyout.json tab select the directory for your fsx plane (I'd advise making a copy)

Click Update layout.json button

You should get a success message.

Click the Copy and package Simobject tab

Browse to the Community folder where you installed FS2020 e.g. C:\MSFlightSim\Community in my case

Click Convert

And thats it, or it was for me.

If it doesn't work, download new PlaneConverter zip files and keep trying as new features are added.

• Like 4

Now we need a thread of FSX/P3D aircraft that are compatible with this method and list of issues encountered with each.  I have been exclusively on XP for the last few years but holy cow is my P3D hangar massive.

Ryan

Looks pretty good from the outside:

nwC8ljb.jpg

Interior is corrupt though:

uY2YmSD.png

Does this have to do with the fact that I installed to 32 bit FSX Steam edition?  If I installed to 64 bit P3D would it work? Maybe @robert young knows? I don't want to download and install my old P3DV4 license if it won't work but I want this plane in MFSF sooooo bad.

Ryan

2 minutes ago, rjack1282 said:

Looks pretty good from the outside:

nwC8ljb.jpg

Interior is corrupt though:

uY2YmSD.png

Does this have to do with the fact that I installed to 32 bit FSX Steam edition?  If I installed to 64 bit P3D would it work? Maybe @robert young knows? I don't want to download and install my old P3DV4 license if it won't work but I want this plane in MFSF sooooo bad.

I'm afraid I am no expert on modelling matters. Maybe the converter app has info that covers this?

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Wonder if Manfred Jahns Lockheed Constellation is convertable?

On 8/25/2020 at 11:45 AM, keithb77 said:

Hmmm, the process I'm using is a lot simpler...

ME12C4R2_t.jpg

See the Gliding thread too

Will have to look deeper...but I'd say this is a stopgap, even if payware planes can be converted then a proper MSFS design and build will be much superior.

Is there an easy process? Lovely plane by the way.

Edited by Todd2
add

7 hours ago, bta122 said:

Wow. What a legend this guy is!

I got my aircraft converted and working. Admittedly its fairly simple.

Simple guide for the non IT literate (in Windows at least)

Thanks for writing this. I made a video of the process also for the folks on the discord. Here it is:

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

That was a very nice gesture, but without any narration it is rather difficult to follow along... 😉

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 minutes ago, n4gix said:

That was a very nice gesture, but without any narration it is rather difficult to follow along... 😉

I know, I'm just not very fancy like that. No such setup, just Nvidia Shadowplay 😉

• Upvote 1

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

Still having more success with the simple python script, the converter app doesn't seem to do anything more than create the json file?

1 hour ago, keithb77 said:

Still having more success with the simple python script, the converter app doesn't seem to do anything more than create the json file?

Where's the python script?

I've not actually used my aircraft (paramotor) in FSX so not sure if I have missing guages or not.

Would be good to try this method also.

This is how I do it, (instructions found on the web)

"first go here and download the build.py file: https://github.com/wpine215/msfs-a320neo
then make sure you have python 3.6 or newer to run that .py file
then go into your MSFS Community folder and make a new folder for the plane you want to bring over from FSX, something like manfredjahn-c47 for example
then drop all the FSX add-on files inside this new folder as if it was FSX's main directory, make sure the folders look something like SimObjects/Airplanes/your plane, then drop the build.py and some random manifest.json from another default plane in the main folder
run the build.py to create the layout.json file
edit the manifest.json file to match the plane"

Best results are from pure-FSX models that work well in P3Dv4, have 3D gauges and don't rely on any DLLs.