Sign in to follow this  
Ekaton

Blurry ground - not sure if it's supposed to be like that

Playing on High settings (default set for my GTX 2060 by the game) and all distant scenery seems excessively blurry, more so than in other sims. I've noticed something similar on some other screenshots out there. Is it supposed to be like that?

EF582DC86F0ADBBB71669B2B776A3B32FBBB6A08

33A13770BA1A9272784EF1CC4D1B830E28FA0083

?imw=2048&imh=1152&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

BBF6E1FEFB23C87051B565F01D9CC72AFDD28217

I’ve heard that adjusting the depth of field might help, but it didn’t. Turning it off didn’t work, and on ultra it looks exactly like in the screenshots.

Try manually caching the scenery data, that seems to help some people

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Explains it better than I can 

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

6 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

Try manually caching the data, that seeks to help some people

That defies the point of the sim. Maybe the data just isn't any better. Satellite imagery varies.

• Upvote 2

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

I'm wondering if the MS servers that deliver the scenery are overwhelmed so they are purposely not delivering full data. If that's the case then caching data might be helpful until MS catches up.

2 hours ago, Ekaton said:

all distant scenery seems excessively blurry

What value is your anisotropic filtering set to? This would be located in your Graphics settings.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

1 minute ago, MikeT707 said:

What value is your anisotropic filtering set to? This would be located in your Graphics settings.

Everything is either at high or ultra. 

Make sure to test a reference level area when checking, some sat imagery is bad in some places. Try Aspen-CO or Seattle area just to make sure it looks similarly bad. It sounds like it might be a connectivity speed issue between your Internet and the Microsoft Azure servers sending you content.

The servers have been a bit overloaded the past few days, if you get too slow download too long I think it attempts to download much lower res (though I haven't 100% verified).

Edited by SceneryFX

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

1 minute ago, Ekaton said:

Everything is either at high or ultra. 

Try setting anisotropic filtering to 16x. Let us know if you see any difference. I know when I adjusted this setting up, it made the difference for me. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Just now, SceneryFX said:

Make sure to test a reference level area when checking, some sat imagery is bad in some places. Try Aspen-CO or Seattle area.

So far I’ve been trying to fly in Alaska, my favorite region, which you can see in the screenshots, and Poughkeepsie, NY, which is pretty much the same in terms of quality. Alaska looks pretty bad overall, as its’ grids are clearly visible - rectangular biomes and straight borders between them.

Well Alaska is decent in some areas, but not great in others. I flew around Alaska some.

I don't think that issue has anything to do with graphics settings if you are close to defaults, but it's usually the textures are too low res cause it was downloading too slow.

Best area I've seen thus far is probably Aspen to Denver, at least most consistent looking other than Seattle of course. 

Edited by SceneryFX

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I'm starting to think that this issue and the issue of those pesky spiky unrendered 3d photogrametry buildings and trees could be due to lack of VRAM. More so for those of us who run the sim in 4K with high settings. Some of those settings can eat up a lot of VRAM, and if it does, then it may be causing the LOD radius to shrink in order to keep up. That's just my guess based off my experience.

I've tried testing it out on the regions that I created a manual cache of, and still experience issues with those ugly spiky unrendered buildings and trees.

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU