Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Imagine where MSFS will be in 3 years?

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I'm a flight simulation fan, so am not in the slightest connected to a single sim.  MSFS has plenty going for it, but if LOD out to the horizon is important to you, XP12 with SimHeaven X-World Europe/America will give it to you.  That Sim is not for everyone of course, but it certainly does very well with trees and buildings out to the horizon.

MSFS benefits from worldwide scenery of course, but for heli pilots and GA VFR, XP12 fits the bill very nicely.

Even with Simheaven, aren't the trees rather sparse, and they look like 2D trees from a little higher up? This video is what I mean:

At the 2:38 mark, you can tell the trees look 2D and the number of trees are also a bit sparse, which makes the scenery look unnatural (the ground texture is also poor in that video at the 2:38 mark). If you have a better video where it's not like this, feel free to post the video and let us know the timestamp of the video where it looks better than this.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

EDIT for clarity:

Is MSFS past performance with this sim been satisfactory so far? Will it be satisfactory in the future?
I guess the answer to this questions is.......it depends on your outlook in life. Are you a glass half empty or glass half full type of person?

There has always been a general balance between consumer/individual and supplier considerations...........between what the consumer or individual wants, needs and expects and what the supplier wants, needs and expects.

This balance has changed over the last 40 or so yrs. The balance is now tipped more in favour of the supplier so they can make more money. It's true about almost all things that are supplied......not just products either. In terms of consideration, the individual and ordinary punter is worth less than previously.

Personally I expect MSFS to surprise us and disappoint us in roughly equal measure in accordance with the times.

Edited by GaryK
clarity

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

44 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Even with Simheaven, aren't the trees rather sparse,

Hehe, maybe you've been conditioned by the MSFS tree - planting bonanza 😁

10 minutes ago, Pathfinder633 said:

Hehe, maybe you've been conditioned by the MSFS tree - planting bonanza 😁

Yeah, I think we are spoiled by MSFS. I know why LR probably does that with trees in XP 12, because too many trees will kill the FPS, and XP 12 FPS is already pretty mediocre.  It is a little distracting though, because in real life, if there are trees in an area, there is usually a large group of trees packed together (unless the city/park deliberately planted trees at a separate distance from each other, but that would be manual planting of trees by people, and not something that naturally occurs). For this reason, MSFS is much better.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

Even with Simheaven, aren't the trees rather sparse,

I am minded not to get into a big discussion about XP12 in this forum.  I was just giving a pointer to a flight simmer who remarked about trees and buildings out to the horizon - something that XP12 will give.  

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

6 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

Yeah, I think we are spoiled by MSFS. I know why LR probably does that with trees in XP 12, because too many trees will kill the FPS, and XP 12 FPS is already pretty mediocre.  It is a little distracting though, because in real life, if there are trees in an area, there is usually a large group of trees packed together (unless the city/park deliberately planted trees at a separate distance from each other, but that would be manual planting of trees by people, and not something that naturally occurs). For this reason, MSFS is much better.

Umm I think you missed my point which is that MSFS seems to put trees everywhere, its very overdone in many places