Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Imagine where MSFS will be in 3 years?

I think in the next 6 months, Asobo will iron out a lot of the more annoying bugs and there will probably be an optimization patch or two with it.  AMD and NVidia will also have a chance to release additional driver updates that may optimize the game further.  Bing Maps will also get better data over the next 3 years so the places we fly over will be more accurate.  But most importantly, 3rd parties will have a wealth of planes and sceneries in 3 years time, and the community will also release a bunch of great stuff as well (ie. liveries are starting to be released by the community).

I'm enjoying this sim immensely for now. But I can't wait to see what this sim becomes over the next 3 years.

• Like 15

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

I have the feeling that even in one year from now the simulator will be in a much healthier and complete state. They've got several major updates planned over the next 3-9 months.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

I have the feeling that even in one year from now the simulator will be in a much healthier and complete state. They've got several major updates planned over the next 3-9 months.

they need too, look at there forumns.  lots of teething issues.  with just getting it to install /  run and start up.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

1 minute ago, fluffyflops said:

they need too, look at there forumns.  lots of teething issues.  with just getting it to install /  run and start up.

A lot of games are like this, not to mention one that clocks in at almost 100 GB to install (Premium Deluxe version is almost 100 GB).  To be honest, I am treating this like an open beta.  But at least I am enjoying it.  

For all I know, I could be hit by a truck tomorrow.  If Asobo released it 6 months later and I am hit by a truck tomorrow, I would never have had a chance to play this game.  By releasing it earlier, I get to enjoy the game, and I know over the next 6 months, a lot of the basic issues and bugs will be ironed out.  Once the basic issues and bugs are ironed out, the sim will just get better from there.  And I suspect even in the next 6 months, there will be a lot of content release by 3rd parties and even by the community.  Never mind 3 years from now, this sim in 6 months from now will be a whole different sim.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

A lot of games are like this, not to mention one that clocks in at almost 100 GB to install (Premium Deluxe version is almost 100 GB).  To be honest, I am treating this like an open beta.  But at least I am enjoying it.  

For all I know, I could be hit by a truck tomorrow.  If Asobo released it 6 months later and I am hit by a truck tomorrow, I would never have had a chance to play this game.  By releasing it earlier, I get to enjoy the game, and I know over the next 6 months, a lot of the basic issues and bugs will be ironed out.  Once the basic issues and bugs are ironed out, the sim will just get better from there.  And I suspect even in the next 6 months, there will be a lot of content release by 3rd parties and even by the community.  Never mind 3 years from now, this sim in 6 months from now will be a whole different sim.

oh dont worry so long as there are people like you we will continue to get half baked glitchy unfinished products like this.    

Your a dream to developers, willing to give them your hard earned money on the basis you might get hit by a truck tomorrow, so they can trot out a half finished product.

Id sign up to be a beta tester for daves lot at aerosoft ot Simbols lot at P3d. they will snap you quick

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, fluffyflops said:

oh dont worry so long as there are people like you we will continue to get half baked glitchy unfinished products like this.    

Your a dream to developers, willing to give them your hard earned money on the basis you might get hit by a truck tomorrow, so they can trot out a half finished product.

Id sign up to be a beta tester for daves lot at aerosoft ot Simbols lot at P3d. they will snap you quick

Well, you have the option to not purchase it and wait until all the things that you want to be fixed, and the 3rd party stuff that you want to be out, before you buy the game.  I already knew MSFS was likely to be in a beta testing stage when they came out with the release announcement in July.  2 weeks of beta testing is not enough, that's obvious. But at the same time, I am enjoying the heck out of the simulator and I am so glad they released it in August.

Like I said, you don't have to buy the game, nobody is forcing you to.  You could have waited for its release and then read the feedback and criticism of the game first.  And if it's not to your liking, then don't buy it and wait until the it's in a better shape.  For the rest of us though, we are really enjoying this sim at the moment. It's fun and enjoyable for us and I am getting my money's worth.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 11

Considering how many they've already sold, I don't think his one purchase will make much difference.

Keep in mind that if no one bought ANY of those "glitchy unfinished products" they wouldn't ever get finished. 🙂 

Note:  I haven't purchased yet.

Hook

• Like 3

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

As a developer, it's hard to let this just pass.  I don't work for Microsoft or Asobo, but I have been a professional software developer all my life and I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.  I speak from experience.

The underlying attitude here seems to be that developers are a bunch of greedy lazy slobs who won't lift a finger to fix their products unless it's forcefully (and often rudely) demanded by customers.

Yes, I've seen a few like that, but it's rare.  Most of us are professionals and we take pride in our work.  We want to make everything perfect, despite the fact that's impossible.  Most of us don't want to release anything so long as there's a bug in it, but of course release dates are set by management not the people that make the product.

We've all seen products produced with pride and passion, and those that have been done just for the money.  There's a big difference, and discerning people can tell it.

This simulator was obviously done with passion and commitment by the design and development team.  They wouldn't have released it until it was ready, but someone else above them did, and now they are going to have to work long hard hours to fix it in the field all the while taking undeserved lumps from people who unfairly blame them for a premature release.

Professionals don't have to be screamed at to make a great product, or to fix the inevitable bugs in it.  They don't work harder because of criticism - if it has any effect at all, it's to slow down, not speed up fixes.

Just my thoughts, from long experience.
Dutch

• Like 39
  • Upvote 5

Charles "Dutch" Owen - Developer at Military Visualizations - currently working on the C310R and SR-71A project for MSFS.

4 minutes ago, Dutch727 said:

As a developer, it's hard to let this just pass.  I don't work for Microsoft or Asobo, but I have been a professional software developer all my life and I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.  I speak from experience.

The underlying attitude here seems to be that developers are a bunch of greedy lazy slobs who won't lift a finger to fix their products unless it's forcefully (and often rudely) demanded by customers.

Yes, I've seen a few like that, but it's rare.  Most of us are professionals and we take pride in our work.  We want to make everything perfect, despite the fact that's impossible.  Most of us don't want to release anything so long as there's a bug in it, but of course release dates are set by management not the people that make the product.

We've all seen products produced with pride and passion, and those that have been done just for the money.  There's a big difference, and discerning people can tell it.

This simulator was obviously done with passion and commitment by the design and development team.  They wouldn't have released it until it was ready, but someone else above them did, and now they are going to have to work long hard hours to fix it in the field all the while taking undeserved lumps from people who unfairly blame them for a premature release.

Professionals don't have to be screamed at to make a great product, or to fix the inevitable bugs in it.  They don't work harder because of criticism - if it has any effect at all, it's to slow down, not speed up fixes.

Just my thoughts, from long experience.
Dutch

I'd repost this all day long! Bean counters have more power than developers. That's something that should never be forgotten.

• Like 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

You are good people, Dutch.  Good to see you around the forums again.

We know Asobo wants to do the best job possible, but Microsoft controls the purse strings.  How long will Microsoft be willing to pump money into development?

Release, Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2...  Service Pack 3 (maybe)... Done.

I hope it doesn't go like that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.  At least they'll keep the servers up for 10 years.  And Asobo is nothing if not dedicated and enthusiastic.

Hook

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Larry Hookins

43 minutes ago, LHookins said:

You are good people, Dutch.  Good to see you around the forums again.

We know Asobo wants to do the best job possible, but Microsoft controls the purse strings.  How long will Microsoft be willing to pump money into development?

Release, Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2...  Service Pack 3 (maybe)... Done.

I hope it doesn't go like that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.  At least they'll keep the servers up for 10 years.  And Asobo is nothing if not dedicated and enthusiastic.

Hook

I think we're past the age of Service Packs.  They'll be pushing automatic updates instead and there's no limit on those.  I also think we're also past the age when software products are seen as yearly and semi-yearly new editions.  Now they are seen as things that continuously are developed and updated, a la Win 10.  Even MSFT is on board this paradigm. 

I doubt you'll see this sim abandoned to work on the next iteration, as in years past.

Dutch

• Like 5

Charles "Dutch" Owen - Developer at Military Visualizations - currently working on the C310R and SR-71A project for MSFS.

2 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

Wow.

• Like 4

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

25 minutes ago, Dutch727 said:

I think we're past the age of Service Packs.  They'll be pushing automatic updates instead and there's no limit on those.

Thanks.  I was just wondering how much difference there was between updates a few months apart and service packs. 🙂 The first update should be interesting.

Hook

Larry Hookins

4 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

I think in the next 6 months, Asobo will iron out a lot of the more annoying bugs and there will probably be an optimization patch or two with it.  AMD and NVidia will also have a chance to release additional driver updates that may optimize the game further.  Bing Maps will also get better data over the next 3 years so the places we fly over will be more accurate.  But most importantly, 3rd parties will have a wealth of planes and sceneries in 3 years time, and the community will also release a bunch of great stuff as well (ie. liveries are starting to be released by the community).

I'm enjoying this sim immensely for now. But I can't wait to see what this sim becomes over the next 3 years.

Wake me when it's time 😌 

• Upvote 1

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

My abiding initial impression of MS2020 is that behind its current bugs, annoyances and limitations there is staggering potential.  You can already see the difference between a clean sheet (MS2020) and a remarkable development of an older platform (P3D).

For serious simming I'll continue to use P3D for the time being.  But MS2020 is usable within limitations, does some things better than any other sim out there and will be the benchmark for other sims to match - including further developments of P3D.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1