Sign in to follow this  
pgde

Tomshardware FS2020 Hardware Review

1 minute ago, Mikelab6 said:

Admin moved my post here...Oups didn't see that someone posted the same on Sunday.

Yeah, I merged yours to the existing topic.

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

So Glad I went with a new i9-9900K.  I had a feeling MSFS was going to be optimized for an Intel processor and they are a beast when it comes to single core power which seem to still be the case since FSX!

Chris Camp

On 8/26/2020 at 6:22 PM, Kilo60 said:

So Glad I went with a new i9-9900K.  I had a feeling MSFS was going to be optimized for an Intel processor and they are a beast when it comes to single core power which seem to still be the case since FSX!

Is the 9900k the best CPU available for flight sim right now? I’m slowly buying parts right now and am waiting until the 3000 series gpus come out before buying the big pieces. That’ll give me time to see what people are saying. 

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

think the 10900k

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

2 hours ago, micstatic said:

think the 10900k

I guess the next question would be is it worth the $70 extra? Not much difference relatively speaking but if it’s only worth an extra FPS or two than it’s obviously not worth it. 

7 hours ago, sfgiants13 said:

I guess the next question would be is it worth the $70 extra? Not much difference relatively speaking but if it’s only worth an extra FPS or two than it’s obviously not worth it. 

I’d think you’d be more GPU bound with either processor unless you went with a new nvidia 3090 card which may set you back about 1,400.00 usd!

Chris Camp

8 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

I’d think you’d be more GPU bound with either processor unless you went with a new nvidia 3090 card which may set you back about 1,400.00 usd!

I was holding out for the new cards.  Not sure which I was going to get but it'll be a good one.  

18 hours ago, sfgiants13 said:

Is the 9900k the best CPU available for flight sim right now? I’m slowly buying parts right now and am waiting until the 3000 series gpus come out before buying the big pieces. That’ll give me time to see what people are saying. 

Here's some other good information AMD and Intel

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-vs-intel-core-i9-9900k-gaming

CPU prices and benchmarks

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

1 hour ago, bic said:

Thanks I'll check those out.  I've read some reports that AMD is performing worse than Intel for MSFS but there could be other reasons why.  I have some time before I buy anything so it'll give me plenty of time for more reports to come out.

26 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

Thanks I'll check those out.  I've read some reports that AMD is performing worse than Intel for MSFS but there could be other reasons why.  I have some time before I buy anything so it'll give me plenty of time for more reports to come out.

Yes, I still think we’re several years away before Sims, and most games in general, take full advantage of hyperthreading.  Until then Intel chips will have the advantage due to the single core raw processing power...

Chris Camp