Sign in to follow this  
pgde

Tomshardware FS2020 Hardware Review

Despite the name, the Buildings setting really doesn't seem to change the way the game looks. Even hovering over Manhattan island in 'active pause' mode to snap screenshots, there's almost no visible difference between the low and ultra setting, but using the low setting improved performance by 7% in our test sequence.

I wonder if he had  photogrammetry on and if this setting makes a difference for those buildings? 

This article is great help though in seeing what might affect performance.  

Edited by reignman40
  • Like 1

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

31 minutes ago, cepact said:

I went with AMD because of all the hype on the internet and the intel bashing. Really disappointed right now, if I only listened to my gut I would have picked an i7 10700k, but went for the 3700X because people say "intel bad" all over the internet. Now I will be cpu limited for ever ... nice.

Then take a look at this German review of MSFS that compares the FPS for different CPUs. You will find that your AMD 3700X performs better than an Intel Core i9 9900K...

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Spiel-15259/Specials/FS-2020-Benchmark-Test-Review-1356467/2/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Tom should stick to hardware and toothpaste. He doesn't seem to know much about software.

Jarred Walton wrote the piece, not Tom 🙂

1 hour ago, DebauchedSloth said:

"...the Microsoft Store version we used for testing relies on DirectX 12 — the game is also available on Steam, however, apparently with DX11 support."

Surely this is not true !?

*shivers*...  I just had a PTSD flashback about "DX10 Preview"

Thank god it was an uninformed false statement.

TomsHardware is about as credible as The Verge is at building computers..

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

3 hours ago, Malloryn65 said:

Not a lot of difference between a 2080ti and the 1080ti. I guess I expected there to be more.

/Dave

Have you seen the 4K results?

• Like 3

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

54 minutes ago, cepact said:

I went with AMD because of all the hype on the internet and the intel bashing. Really disappointed right now, if I only listened to my gut I would have picked an i7 10700k, but went for the 3700X because people say "intel bad" all over the internet. Now I will be cpu limited for ever ... nice.

So glad I didn't fall for the AMD hype. I went with my gut instinct and got the i9-10900K and couldn't be any more happier.

2080ti vs 1080ti will make a difference if you run at higher resolutions, especially at 4K. My ultimate goal is to get a consistent 30fps and above with ultra settings in 4K.

When MFS goes to DX12, I'm sure we'll see even better peformance.

Edited by captain420
  • Like 3

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Interessting. Glad that I haven not bought anything yet. I was getting used to the though builidng a AMD system with 3900X. Though my situation is bit different, since I will using it for video editing either.

Maybe it's yet a good idea just to wait for the new generation of amd cpus. GPU's are around the corner. Probably it's good time to built a new system around christmas.

It there a change Asobo could optimize the sim for more core/thread operation, so AMD is running smoother? It's really surpricing though, everyone was like so convinced that AMD will run smoother.

Personally I chose Intel for the pc I’m building right now solely because on single core performance. AMD leads in multi-core,and in the end I think both CPUs are fine with a slight advantage for games to Intel. That may easily change with the next generation though.

Also, it’s unclear how much pcie4 will be an advantage, especially with the upcomin AMD Big Navi GPUs.

Don’t feel bad about your choice:)

• Like 1

Helge Rasmussen

Still planning on buying a 3080ti/3090 - but clearly it's going to be wasted in FS2020 until Directx 12 comes and removes the CPU bottleneck.

• Like 4

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

4 hours ago, Tierborn said:

Jarred Walton wrote the piece, not Tom 🙂

Who are you? Mr. Spock?

8 hours ago, Brandon01110 said:

1. not optimized for AMD multicore cpu, intel had a 16fps advantage.  I dont want to buy intel at this point, no way.  limited to 10 core and not utilizing pci-e 4, not to mention not a good investment for anything BUT gaming.  Their future roadmap doesnt show much hope either.....

Even though the Windows scheduler continues to be suboptimal for Ryzen, giving it a bigger disadvantage, the simulator's optimisation is causing issues with Intel as well. The 9600K shouldn't be performing nearly identical to the 9900K either. They are going to have to do plenty of optimisation, especially if they want it to run on the current Xbox One consoles, and it kind of sucks that there is no CPU today that can do 60 FPS consistently at Ultra settings. And there won't be one tomorrow, since we are not looking at nearly double the performance from Zen 3 and Rocket Lake.

Perhaps they are putting resources into optimising the DirectX 12 renderer instead, which is likely going to be the version going to the consoles as well. This means that we might not see very decent CPU performance for a while, but once the update hits we could be seeing huge boosts in performance, with Ryzen being rewarded the most.

3 hours ago, hanhamreds said:

Still planning on buying a 3080ti/3090 - but clearly it's going to be wasted in FS2020 until Directx 12 comes and removes the CPU bottleneck.

If you find yourself having spare GPU performance, you can utilise the resolution scaler for a nice boost in anti-aliasing and clarity. I can't test this myself (too GPU-limited even at 1080p), but it usually works really well with TAA implementations.

7 hours ago, Pilot53 said:

yeah, surprising.  I guess that means I can hang on to my 1080ti for a bit longer!  Glad I upgraded to the 10900K though.

I think if you run higher than 1080p then a graphics card upgrade makes a difference. I run at 4K and will be upgrading my 1080ti

even developer mode tells me I’m gpu limited 

Edited by micstatic
  • Like 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Admin moved my post here...Oups didn't see that someone posted the same on Sunday.