Sign in to follow this  
Ixoye

How to get MORE FPS in Flight Simulator 2020 - EASY!

2 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

Anyway with the settings he suggested I gained 10 fps and I could fly in the same area maintaining 40-50 fps with the C172.

Considering that the 2080 Ti is 25-30% faster than my GPU, I am OK until the new CPUs and GPUs come out, then I will plan an upgrade after reading the reviews.

So I am just diving into this today for the first time and was closely watching his video and taking notes.  Of all of settings he mentioned up front that he would touch on, I did not see him come back to Bloom, Reflections, or Trees.  Then, at just past the 18:45 mark in the video he mentions the 3800 CPU and states "remember we turned off half of them right now".   Cores?  Never saw that earlier in the video.  What did he do to accomplish that? And why?   I am running Intel, not AMD (specs in signature).

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

So I am just diving into this today for the first time and was closely watching his video and taking notes.  Of all of settings he mentioned up front that he would touch on, I did not see him come back to Bloom, Reflections, or Trees.  Then, at just past the 18:45 mark in the video he mentions the 3800 CPU and states "remember we turned off half of them right now".   Cores?  Never saw that earlier in the video.  What did he do to accomplish that? And why?   I am running Intel, not AMD (specs in signature).

I believe he used the AMD equivalent of turning off hyperthreading.  He was using AMD lingo that I am not familiar with though.

Ryan

11 minutes ago, rjack1282 said:

I believe he used the AMD equivalent of turning off hyperthreading.  He was using AMD lingo that I am not familiar with though.

Is there a consensus on HT with MSFS?  I noted in two other videos high usage on a particular core and the cores were not the same with those two systems.  How can that be adjusted?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

MSFS uses (mostly) 8 threads, but other logical cores are useful for background processes. The guy in the video was using a 16 core / 32 thread processor, so it makes sense to disable the SMP there.

I would not recommend to disable HT / SMP with less than a 10 cores CPU.

Bloom, reflections and depth of field have no performance impact on the CPU.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png