Sign in to follow this  
ParaMan

Trim Issues

So, this seems to happen intermittently but when disconnecting autopilot the trim seems to go full nose up. No matter how much I try and correct it, it reverts back to nose up again. Its beginning to get very frustrating. Am I missing something obvious or is it a bug in the autopilot?

1 minute ago, ParaMan said:

So, this seems to happen intermittently but when disconnecting autopilot the trim seems to go full nose up. No matter how much I try and correct it, it reverts back to nose up again. Its beginning to get very frustrating. Am I missing something obvious or is it a bug in the autopilot?

Having you been using active pause?  ActivePause is pretty much a death sentence if used while the autopilot is on

• Like 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

1 minute ago, styckx said:

Having you been using active pause?  ActivePause is pretty much a death sentence if used while the autopilot is on

Nope, I try and stay away from that.

8 minutes ago, ParaMan said:

What bindings do you have for your trim, on what peripheral?

Might be caused by flying in icing conditions (which is what can happen in real life). The issue being, you fly along on autopilot, the wings start icing up, the autopilot starts correcting for that with trim, increasing the angle of attack to keep the thing flying, you don't notice this, then you disengage the autopilot when on finals, and next minute you're doing an impromptu airshow. This has been the cause of a few airliner crashes in real life.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

10 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

What bindings do you have for your trim, on what peripheral?

Using the Saitek X52 Pro, set to A for trim up and B for trim down. Even if I manually move the trim wheel with my mouse, it just rolls back to full nose up. Just restarted the same flight, same conditions. It happened the first time but was ok the 2nd. 

10 minutes ago, Chock said:

Might be caused by flying in icing conditions (which is what can happen in real life). The issue being, you fly along on autopilot, the wings start icing up, the autopilot starts correcting for that with trim, increasing the angle of attack to keep the thing flying, you don't notice this, then you disengage the autopilot when on finals, and next minute you're doing an impromptu airshow. This has been the cause of a few airliner crashes in real life.

Unless they've modelled icing faults with no visible ice, then I don't think that's the answer. And as i stated above, I just re-flew the exact same route straight after it and had no issues the 2nd time. 

Thanks for your help though guys, I might report it as a bug and see what happens.

This is something I have to imagine anyone flying GA aircraft in the sim have been experiencing. I feel like it's a bug, but I won't rule out using the autopilot incorrectly. But the issue seems to be if you turn off the AP for whatever reason, then turn it back on, it starts causing this problem. If the altitude is set either higher or lower than your current altitude, the plane tries to use drastic trim measures to pitch the aircraft in an attempt to get to that altitude. 

I don't know if what's causing this is due to mismanagement of the plane, or if it's a bug. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds like yet another bug.  I've had the problem where I can't turn the auto throttle of no matter what I do.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

I had this happen with one flight in the DA62 and I still don't know exactly what happened.  The nose just pointed at the sky suddenly, but even after I got  the plane under "control", it kept porposing up and down.  Could have been my error, but I'm pretty familiar with the payware Da62 that is available in Xplane.  I have no idea what caused it and haven't seen it again.  I can't imagine what I would have done to cause that.  I shouldn't have been in icing, wasn't that high up and was in real time weather in the middle of summer.  Maybe a weather generation bug though?  

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

I have had the same problem with the C172. The trim goes full nose down or up without any input from me. The first time it happened I was trying to set the autopilot so I thought I screwed up somehow. It now happens without touching the autopilot (turned off and never turned on). If I toggle the AI control to on it seems to be able to fly the plane fine. As soon as I turn AI control off it immediately goes back to full trim up or down. I have double checked all my joystick, mouse and keyboard assignments, they are good. The problem doesn't show up on every flight, seems to be a random issue. I assume it is a bug. I haven"t had the problem on other planes.

I went through the settings for the other peripherals and disabled every thing that wasn't necessary. Now the only peripheral that is assigned to elevators is on my joystick. That seemed to fix the problem. With FS default settings you get assignments on every peripheral it seems. 

My favourite trim bug so far is the alt trim in the latest patch to XPForce. (alt trim moves your yoke or stick as you adjust trim)

For some reason with this new patch it inverts the in flight direction of trim while leaving the in game graphics (both cockpit and externally) correct. So the more your trim indicator shows nose up the more the aircraft tries to go nose down 😄   Not optimal.