Sign in to follow this  
clanfever

Rookie flyer - impressed massively with MSFS 2020 so far

I've always piqued an interest with flying, whether that is virtually or in real life. Have tried my hand at micro light flying although found the turbulence was no good for my stomach - similar to racing cars actually with the insane G-Forces found at the track

Always found it far easier to find a virtual racing game I can settle into, Gran Turismo Sport being my choice at this present moment. However, flying was always one I struggled with. Basically, earlier this year and for the last 2 decades, I have settled for the classic Flight Unlimited 3 (2 as well). It seemed to blend the right balance I required between game and sim, being that I have limited time to play and require a jump in and go method of playing over a long set up or similar. I have tried multiple versions of MSFS in the past as well as X-Plane and a couple other early access things on Steam. The only thing that came close to being something I'd enjoy was flying air craft in GTA - although as you understand, that is far too basic and never satisfied the flying craving I had, so I always went back to FU3

However the reviews for MSFS 2020 were promising. And I've picked it up with Microsoft Game Pass. And yuss, this is the game I have been waiting for. It has the right amount of aides so that anyone can jump in and fly. I am able to leave ATC (for now) to the AI and concentrate on take off, flying and landing, which is what I prefer. I also don't need to do any pre flight checks or anything like that (again, interested in turning off all Ai aides once comfortable), I am simply able to jump in anywhere, at anytime to have a flight. To freaking anywhere! It all looks so word not allowed good!!!! I've even already installed a fighter jet into the game, just so I have a plane with a little more grunt

What about you guys? Have you had similar issues with finding the right game in the past, and has this one fixed your concerns with previous air sim titles? Or is it still missing something you desire? No doubt a few of you will see me how I see people who prefer Forza over Gran Turismo (and then people who prefer to spend $2K a year on iRacing will see me for playing Gran Turismo) - word not allowed rookies!

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Oi! Boundless enthusiasm isn't allowed here! 😋

Delighted you're enjoying it. I am, too. So are many others, despite the crushing air of boundless negativity some are determined to cultivate (several people have actually said the flight model is no better than GTA V's. No, they really did). This doesn't mean everything has to be positive, of course not. Perspective is important, and we're right at the start of a what is planned to be A Long Journey.

Carry on flying, and may the number of your landings approximately equal the take-offs.

• Like 1

Glad to hear you enjoy it and welcome to this hobby! I was about to climb up on the elitist horse that is popular here as I smirked when you said that you like the flying in GTA, but you are just the type of person that we need to have more of here in the flight sim community. Gradually you will hopefully appreciate more and more the satisfaction of turning aides off, understanding what mixture and prop pitch is used for etc. 

Most of us here are unfortunately way to nerdy for our own best. A large majority with real life experience of flying aircraft and having flown most of the study simulators that are out there for decades. We discuss nitty gritty details like sub pages of the fuel control systems not implemented for ages. The joy of virtual flying that you have experienced without knowing the real life procedures for taxi on LAX is what this hobby needs to get back to...

• Like 3

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

Glad you are enjoying it. 👍

Its a similar situation for me.  I have been a life-long flight-simmer but lost the love for it.

I had P3D, X-Plane (the B737 Zibo mod was great), and a version of FSX that was given an extended lease of life due to Steves DX10 fixer, but I found myself spending less and less time with them.

MSFS2020 enticed me back.  I took an interest right from the introduction video last year, and kept my eye on it.

I bought the top version straight on release.  I understood the shortcomings before I bought it, so I am not unhappy with it at all. 
Bugs will get fixed and features will be added over time.  They are never fixed quickly enough of course. 😁

I had to do a bit of tweaking and a few work-arounds, just like with other flight sims I have had, but overall I am happy with it and having a great time every evening after work.

For me, the visuals are important first, because that is what is important to me personally and makes me feel it is immersive, and the planes fly well enough to enjoy it.

The more technical side can come later.  There is already a great mod for the Airbus.  I had never started an A320 from cold and dark before 😀, so it can and will get better! 

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 hours ago, clanfever said:

The only thing that came close to being something I'd enjoy was flying air craft in GTA

The sound of fingernails on a chalkboard. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

The sound of fingernails on a chalkboard. 

Clanfever has a passion for aviation. That’s the glue that binds the community together; the details of how we pursue our interest are of less importance. I distinctly remember trying to get the 172 to lift off of Meigs in Flight Simulator 95 with my keyboard only to repeatedly run into Lake Michigan. I actually made a friend after finding somebody in my area who could show me how to properly use the sim. It’s easy to forget how steep the learning curve was for all of us.

@clanfever I’m glad you’re enjoying the new sim as much as I am. It rekindled my enjoyment of flight swimming after being out ten years.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, clanfever said:

I have settled for the classic Flight Unlimited 3

Glad someone else said this, thought it was just me who thought the new MS sim kind of had a feel of the older Flight Unlimited and Fly! games/sims (™)

I'm glad you're enjoying it too. It's really nice to see a positive post from someone who understands that fun is what matters, especially amid some of the gloomy posts we see on this forum which some people feel compelled to make. I mean if anything annoys me that much, I just don't do it. Pretty simple concept really. 🙂

And as far as car racing goes, play whatever racing game/sim you like; again what matters is what you enjoy, not what others think you should be enjoying, and it doesn't matter whether that's iRacing or Outrun.

OutRun%20(UE).png

Edited by Chock
  • Like 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with starting with the engine running on the runway and just blasting off, it’s certainly how I prefer to launch 95%of my simulator flights.

The simulator is there to do with what you want, however you want to do it.

I also fly with no AI traffic to get in my way, no ATC to pester me and constantly clear blue skies. If I could only replicate that in my real world flights I’d be very happy.

• Like 5

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

41 minutes ago, Chock said:

Glad someone else said this, thought it was just me who thought the new MS sim kind of had a feel of the older Flight Unlimited and Fly! games/sims (™)

That was something I commented on early on right after I got in the Alpha.  MSFS brings back the joy and wonder I experienced in the early flight sims, when simply flying was special.

Hook

• Like 4

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;