Sign in to follow this  
Marioalberto

Garmin PFD Display Going Blank

Hi,

Has anyone had the Garmin PFD display on the instrument panel go blank all of a sudden on some aircraft (Cessna 172, King Air). I've had this problem every time that I fly these planes.

I take off and after 2-3 minutes, all displays go blank at once. Is this a product of something that I'm doing wrong, or not doing?

Any input would much appreciated. Thanks. 

Did you go through the pre-flight checklist?  Sounds like you may have drained your batteries.  Gotta make sure you have the systems set on so charging is taking place...

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hey fppilot,

Sorry for this stupid question, but where do I check on the c-172 & King Air if my "systems are set on" as you stated above? As far as I can tell, batteries & master are already on by default when I select the aircraft & hit "fly". I didn't think that there was anything else that I had to do since this wasn't a cold & dark start. Am I missing something here? Thanks.  

No need to go through any checklist if you start on a runway with all systems running. I fly the C172 pretty much exclusively for hours on end, have never done the checklist, and I have never had a screen go dark.

Strange!

if you are using a honey comb yoke and the mag switch on the right is somehow left in the "start" position, it will drain the battery and the screens will go blank. I and others have had this happen.

Hi JHaas,

That answers the question, because, yes I am using a Honey Comb yoke, and yes, I was leaving the mag switch in the "start". Thanks a bunch for the quick answer. I think that this solves my problem. Thanks again.

Hi, I finally got my Garmin 1000 Displays to work correctly. I made sure that the mags were set to "Both" as suggested above by other users, but then, I also had to make sure that my  Honeycomb yoke had the Master Batt set to OFF. This solved the problem of both displays going blank. However, I still had the problem that when I selected any flaps AT ALL, my Right Garmin 1000 display was still going blank until I fully retracted the flaps(then it would re-initialize). I solved this by setting the Honeycomb yoke Avionics Bus 1 to OFF. this solved all the Garmin issues. Hope this helps anyone with the same problem. And thanks for all your input. 

On 9/9/2020 at 7:36 PM, Marioalberto said:

Hi,

Has anyone had the Garmin PFD display on the instrument panel go blank all of a sudden on some aircraft (Cessna 172, King Air). I've had this problem every time that I fly these planes.

I take off and after 2-3 minutes, all displays go blank at once. Is this a product of something that I'm doing wrong, or not doing?

Any input would much appreciated. Thanks. 

yes but was in a real plane 🙂

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

I don't have a Honeycomb Yoke- I am actually using the Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas.

In the temporary absence of an A-10 in the sim at the moment I am flying GA!

In the C172 I am often finding that the right hand screen doesn't come on - its starts to initialise but then stays blank?

Both screens seen to work ok with the Caravan?

33 minutes ago, Ferg said:

I don't have a Honeycomb Yoke- I am actually using the Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas.

In the temporary absence of an A-10 in the sim at the moment I am flying GA!

In the C172 I am often finding that the right hand screen doesn't come on - its starts to initialise but then stays blank?

Both screens seen to work ok with the Caravan?

Hi Ferg,

I had it similar, it switched off during the flight - after switching generic plane models both to on all was good. General - Graphics - at the very end. Just give it a go.

Take care

Mick

PC: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 Super Aorus Master, DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2X32 GB, Corsair HX 1000, Fractal Torrent, Samsung LC32 / G7 1440P.

So this must be a bug? I use a ff2 joystick. I just flew the 172 glass cockpit for the first time, lost both displays after 3 minutes maybe. I noticed the displays work, just no backlighting to them. I checked all panel switches etc. I finally gave up and flew with no displays

Stampee

I agree with Mick - turn on use generic plane models in the settings. Apparently your planes are vulnerable to the behaviour of other players in your session. When another player turns off their avionics yours go off as well.

Checkout this thread:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/585640-did-everyone-notice-there-is-a-fix/

• Like 1

Mike Beckwith