Sign in to follow this  
EmaRacing

Too much authority

9 hours ago, robert young said:

Regarding excessive authority when landing, you can actually tone this down, almost infinitely, using the current modern flight model, but it needs careful tuning.

Is there any "quick and dirty" to get the process started - or are we talking multiple/many parameters?  Nothing perfecto, as you are able to achieve, but something to simply take the float out of some of these AC, specifically the Longitude.  Thanks.

BTW, Good to see you again.  Hope you're doing well these days.

Regards, Kendall

8 minutes ago, irocx said:

Is there any "quick and dirty" to get the process started - or are we talking multiple/many parameters?  Nothing perfecto, as you are able to achieve, but something to simply take the float out of some of these AC, specifically the Longitude.  Thanks.

BTW, Good to see you again.  Hope you're doing well these days.

Thanks for your kind wishes, It is a combination of several (many) parameters but it involves tweaking control authority to suit different angles of attack and airspeeds. It's a combination of elasticity, aoa arrays (tables), elevator limits, delta params and a few others. 

• Like 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

On 9/11/2020 at 4:31 PM, dave2013 said:

The moments of inertia for the default Cessna 152 are actually about 2X what they should be, so I don't think the MOI is the problem. The MOIs for the C172 are also high.

If you think your control hardware sensitivities are set correctly, then the easiest way IMO to lessen the control surface reactions is to lower the elevator/aileron/rudder effectiveness in the Flight Tuning section of the flight model cfg file.

This may not be as straightforward as in FSX/P3D, however, as there are a number of other parameters in the flight model cfg that I'm not familiar with but which may have a significant impact on the flight dynamics, such as pitch_moment_delta_elevator, roll_moment_delta_aileron, elevator/aileron/rudder_scaling_table, and others.

Dave

I wouldn't trust those MOI values as listed in the default flight models. What matters is how the aircraft behaves - not necessarily what the numbers are. They are probably 2x more than they "should" be because with the "proper" values most of the default aircraft are way too twitchy, especially in pitch.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

7 minutes ago, robert young said:

Thanks for your kind wishes, It is a combination of several (many) parameters but it involves tweaking control authority to suit different angles of attack and airspeeds. It's a combination of elasticity, aoa arrays (tables), elevator limits, delta params and a few others. 

Yes, I figured it was considerably more involved than few tweaks to elevator authority or flap drag/lift scalars etc.  I am sure the old AAM or AirEd are of no use these days.....

Oh well, might be time for some better hardware to help alleviate the issue.  

Edited by irocx

Regards, Kendall

On 9/10/2020 at 6:21 PM, kerosene31 said:

It is definitely my #1 gripe with the sim right now.  Even turning down the sensitivities, a 172 still handles like a fighter jet.  I'm hoping the developer can fix it for all planes, if not we'll need to wait for 3rd party stuff to hopefully do better.  

+1 vote on this issue on the main site too.  

+1

A huge annoyance, the slightest stick movement and it wants to snap roll lol. I have tweaked the curves but its still way way too twitchy.

I would add that using a short notchy fighter jet stick, whilst not the actual reason behind these issues, will certainly exaggerate the problem.