Sign in to follow this  
EmaRacing

Too much authority

I do not have problem with sensitivity as I fly MSFS as I would in real life "trim/pitch for airspeed , power for altitude". It works for me in XP11 and other sims. Also light touch of the controls, not fighting an airplane but instead guiding it and listening to it works equally well !

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I find this to be a huge problem and one of the main reasons I am not really flying the sim.  I have an older CH Yoke which is not the best but even micro movements of a few millimetres results in massive pitch changes up and down.  Last night flying the DA62 for the first time it was almost impossible to fly it.  The other thing I notice is that I need to have the elevator trim almost full up to maintain a 500ft/min climb rate which just seems very odd.  If I have the trim in the green band on the DA62 for takeoff and then take my and off the yoke it nosedives.  Maybe these things are related. 

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

The moments of inertia for the default Cessna 152 are actually about 2X what they should be, so I don't think the MOI is the problem. The MOIs for the C172 are also high.

If you think your control hardware sensitivities are set correctly, then the easiest way IMO to lessen the control surface reactions is to lower the elevator/aileron/rudder effectiveness in the Flight Tuning section of the flight model cfg file.

This may not be as straightforward as in FSX/P3D, however, as there are a number of other parameters in the flight model cfg that I'm not familiar with but which may have a significant impact on the flight dynamics, such as pitch_moment_delta_elevator, roll_moment_delta_aileron, elevator/aileron/rudder_scaling_table, and others.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

6 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

I do not have problem with sensitivity as I fly MSFS as I would in real life "trim/pitch for airspeed , power for altitude". It works for me in XP11 and other sims. Also light touch of the controls, not fighting an airplane but instead guiding it and listening to it works equally well !

Really? That surprises me to hear that from you. I find it way over the top esecially with low speeds and on flare. A little elevator on a linear curve and you can apply at SpaceX.

Thanks for the >100 votes guys! If the inertia issue doesn't solve the problem, at least we are in reasonable reach of getting noticed now. 😉

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

29 minutes ago, tweekz said:

Really? That surprises me to hear that from you. I find it way over the top esecially with low speeds and on flare. A little elevator on a linear curve and you can apply at SpaceX.

Thanks for the >100 votes guys! If the inertia issue doesn't solve the problem, at least we are in reasonable reach of getting noticed now. 😉

You flare when you bleed an excess speed  🙂  Your round up and touch down when the speed is right. When I owned C182F, I used to drop 40 degrees flaps short final, reduce power and airplane just touch down at the number no flaring, just round up. Up to N model 172 also had 40 degrees flaps but Cessna removed them in all consequent model. I guess because a lot of pilots like to flare! LOL

My problem with current modeling is lack of drag. When engine goes to idle airplane still has a lot of power. If you fly it by real numbers you will ended up porpoising. Hence all this sensitivity issue for the rest of folks. Instead, I do same thing as would do for checkout  - a slow flight first! From there I get actual Vmc airspeed just before stall and use it as reference for sim landings. In fact, I recommend everyone try to practice touch down wheel at the numbers and get feel of whatever model we have right now! Just follow good old Bruce Lee advice "Don't think, feeel!" :)))

• Like 4

On 9/10/2020 at 11:30 AM, devgrp said:

You guys must strong as hell lol. I don't have that problem. You have to be gentle with the controls. I also fly RC model planes with the the pinch technique with no expo and my movements are smooth. 

Remember slow is smooth and smooth is fast! 

Last update has the controls much too sensitive and twitchy. If my Piper Tomahawk flew this way I would park it . (C-GTRQ)  Don

Not really having an issue BUT I have the FFB force on my Force Feedback stick wound all the way up in XPForce, and if I am on my yoke instead the Fulcrum has really long 8" elevator travel, 180 degrees aileron and really strong springs. This probably mitigates the issue.

I used to feel like the controls in MSFS were too sensitive until i got my brunner yoke. I know its pricey, but its a gamechanger, much closer to a real plane now. 

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

Regarding excessive authority when landing, you can actually tone this down, almost infinitely, using the current modern flight model, but it needs careful tuning. More than three quarters of the stated params in most default aircraft flight_model.cfg files don't work at all: they are all legacy values that only work if you set the flight model to "Legacy" in the f/m settings. I know this because I recently set nearly every param to zero and nothing changed. The new SDK confirms this.

You can make MSFS aircraft land so that the stick needs to be in your lap just before the stall. But it requires a lot of experience and tweaking.

Edited by robert young
  • Like 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

I see this thread resurfaced after nearly a year. A disclaimer I'm no longer have this issue! Peace! LOL

• Like 1

If there are any current [FLIGHT_TUNING] mods for the DA-62 that have been found to be helpful I'd be interested in what they are.

The DA-62 seems to pitch up on landing no matter what I do.  Seems unrealistic compared to my past real experience with small GA SEL a/c.

Thanks,

Al

Edited by ark

I no longer have the issue because I use Rob's mod for the G36.  . . . . .   😎

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

16 minutes ago, ark said:

If there are any current [FLIGHT_TUNING] mods for the DA-62 that have been found to be helpful I'd be interested in what they are.

The DA-62 seems to pitch up on landing no matter what I do.  Seems unrealistic compared to my past real experience with small GA SEL a/c.

Thanks,

Al

My DA62 complete makeover mod is in final testing right now. You should find it much easier to flare properly without excessive pitch up - once you fly it.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

3 minutes ago, robert young said:

My DA62 complete makeover mod is in final testing right now. You should find it much easier to flare properly without excessive pitch up - once you fly it.

Wonderful. Will keep an eye out for the mod. Many thanks!!

Al

3 hours ago, robert young said:

Looking forward to it.  Thankyou for all the time and effort you put into these mods.

• Like 1