Sign in to follow this  
raymar

Can one of you magnificent user devs add light to the TBM

TBM 930

The overall cockpit it simply too dim and too dark.  I can turn up the backlighting in the instruments, like the AP, but I can't see the VS wheel or the push buttons along the bottom of the Garmin panels or the buttons on the yoke. 

One of you brilliant people fixed the lighting in the G1000 panels, maybe someone can add some sort of overhead panel light that will brighten up the panel.  

Regards,

Ray

this is as good as it gets.JPG

zoomed in.JPG

zoomed in_lightened up.JPG

this is as good as it gets_lightened.JPG

• Like 2

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

The bottom two pictures look like the brightness is turned up on the entire picture....

Have you tried flying the tbm at night? The displays are way too bright.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

No, I haven't tried it at night. I need to find the knobs in the daylight first.  Thanks.  Yes, I used a simple photo editor to show what the glarepanel lighting should be.  I don't need to edit the outside view to show that.  Thanks.

Hey Ray...I've slightly resolved this by fine-tuning the gamma on the monitor.  I know this is not an optimal solution as its affects the whole screen, but its all I've found that works until someone can work magic in the sim.

Unfortunately adjusting gamma is not a 1 step fix as you'll need to readjust as certain conditions change...but its the best I can find right now.

9 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Have you tried flying the tbm at night? The displays are way too bright.

There is a mod to fix that Matt. 😉

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

6 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Hey Ray...I've slightly resolved this by fine-tuning the gamma on the monitor.  I know this is not an optimal solution as its affects the whole screen, but its all I've found that works until someone can work magic in the sim.

Unfortunately adjusting gamma is not a 1 step fix as you'll need to readjust as certain conditions change...but its the best I can find right now.

There is a mod to fix that Matt. 😉

I've been looking for this mod! I remember seeing a thread on it awhile ago and can't find it. Most likely user error on my part lol

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

1 minute ago, ahsmatt7 said:

I've been looking for this mod! I remember seeing a thread on it awhile ago and can't find it. Most likely user error on my part lol

hehe.....Ray can attest to the usefulness of the search engine here in Avsim. (trust me its not you!)

Let me see if I can find it for you.

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

@raymarHello Ray

Don't know where they are here at AVSIM, but check the MSFS forums and search for "TBM Lighting updates"
it has a dimmable flood light. I believe it is available also on Git Hub.

Cheers.

23 minutes ago, RamonB said:

@raymarHello Ray

Don't know where they are here at AVSIM, but check the MSFS forums and search for "TBM Lighting updates"
it has a dimmable flood light. I believe it is available also on Git Hub.

Cheers.

Great.  This sounds like what I am looking for.

I chased down the link above from RamonB and found that "kaosfere" is our lighting guru over at Github.  He has a fix for dimming the G3000 panels for night flying but I don't see anything yet for the dome light fix.  I will see if I can leave him a note.  Thanks.

48 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

"... fine-tuning the gamma on the monitor.  I know this is not an optimal solution as its affects the whole screen..."

Exactly. It is not the ideal solution as this affects everything seen on the monitor.

The panels are simply too dark... period, and they should be brightened... in  *all*  [default] aircraft. The panels are virtually illegible without constant zooming (which should not be necessary each & every time one wishes to read a gauge or instrument). Yes, the OP made everything in the image brighter, thus the outside appears washed out & too bright; but this was simply a by-product of showing what the interior panels should look like. And I agree, that is what the brightness of the panels should look like. This is not an exercise for the OP in Photoshop selection & exclusion  techniques; he effectively makes the relevant point regarding the appropriate brightness level of the panel(s).

• Like 1

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

On the stock TBM there are the following interior lights:

Cabin lights: These light up the passenger area only. There are lamps directly above and behind the pilot and copilot seats pointing forward which should illuminate the cockpit too but they do not, I submitted this as a bug to zendesk.

Access light: These are small lights for the passenger area.

Dimmer knob: When set at the max setting, the panel lights will be at max daytime. If you click it down one notch, it will turn on a flood light that illuminates the throttle area. If you continue dimming it, it will lower the brightness of the panel lights.

Dimmer switch: does nothing??

CB lights (circuit breaker lights): turns on circuit breaker panel lights (ooh pretty!)

Now, the important part:

Pilot and Copilot map light: These are directly above the pilot and copilot seats and are turned on with a button next to the light. You probably need to turn your flashlight on to see where the button is. These light up the whole cockpit nicely, especially combined with the dimmer knob flood light on the throttle.

edit: looks like my bug report got marked as solved yay! So hopefully it will be fixed in the next patch.

Edited by quantumpion

Pressing the button next to the pilot/copilot map light does indeed help. Not a total fix but an improvement for sure.  Thanks.  There is a guy that says he has a dome light fix but is waiting for the update so I sent him a PM over at the beta forum to see if he will let me test it.

On 9/14/2020 at 2:07 PM, quantumpion said:

On the stock TBM there are the following interior lights:

Cabin lights: These light up the passenger area only. There are lamps directly above and behind the pilot and copilot seats pointing forward which should illuminate the cockpit too but they do not, I submitted this as a bug to zendesk.

Pilot and Copilot map light: These are directly above the pilot and copilot seats and are turned on with a button next to the light. You probably need to turn your flashlight on to see where the button is. These light up the whole cockpit nicely, especially combined with the dimmer knob flood light on the throttle.

True, I can see that silvery button inside the triplique-envelope of a dome light combo BUT I cannot activate it when in VR.... My mouse cursor will not "catch" it

Edited by peppy197

It is also worth noting the cockpits on all aircraft are darker when you can see outside and brighten up when you look down at just the instruments.

I was able to turn these ceiling dome lamps on while still in desktop view of the VC which were then on once I went into VR 😃

finally..... Nice panel lighting 

Edited by peppy197