Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

Live Weather

I always start by going to map, then plane, back to map, then weather & AI to live. Flight loads and skies are clear. 

I'm sorry, but by now (SP2) this should have been fixed. 

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

7 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

One of the presets is “Live Weather”. If you select that one, live weather should then be the default the next time you run the sim.

That's really weird, as I always use Live Weather but it never defaults back to it. I'll take another look just to be sure. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

That's really weird, as I always use Live Weather but it never defaults back to it. I'll take another look just to be sure. Thanks.

+1

Mine always defaults to a theme. What I have not tried is loading live from the start. Exiting the sim and restarting the sim. Maybe that will make live weather stick. Then I have to hope that the skies are not clear. That it actually works. This is why it's a disaster.

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

For me live weather is working flawlessly as long as I don't switch to a weather preset. Switching back to real weather is hit and miss, even on the next flight. Launch your sim, set real weather, and it'll work fine for the remainder of the session. 

Exactly my conclusion.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Just one quick note about real weather in my opinion.  My sense is that the "real weather" backend is a pretty powerful forecast tool.  However, processing the weather data into a global model takes time, which means that "real weather" is actually quite delayed from what you see out the window, particularly under rapidly changing conditions.  All weather engines have this issue (even your weather app on your phone suffers from this).  The systems that are closest to the raw data reflect the actually conditions most closely.  I believe ASP3D has a very fast processing routine, mostly focused on wind interpolation rather than clouds and fronts and the like.  My sense is that MSFS2020 weather is interpolating everything - clouds, rain, temperatures, winds, etc, from multiple sources of data including METARs, radar, and satellite imagery, and with much greater coverage over oceans.  I believe this is imparting a significant delay from "real world" METARs, perhaps by almost an hour (or more) in some cases.  If we ever get a weather SDK, we may learn more, or maybe Asobo will give us a more technical discussion of how the meteoblue weather is working in the sim.  Again, just my opinion here based on my own observations.

• Like 2

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Exactly my conclusion.

Sorry but this is exactly NOT my conclusion.  Every single flight loading shows PRESET WX has been defaulted.  Just loaded a flight at KMCO after selecting LIVE weather.  METAR > scattered at 3000 and Broken at 6000 (mostly cloudy) .  Hit FLY NOW and NOT a cloud in the sky and did not change over time. (Back to praying for HIFI Simulation to jump aboard) 😞

WAT1460.png

7 minutes ago, vcarlo said:

Sorry but this is exactly NOT my conclusion.  Every single flight loading shows PRESET WX has been defaulted.  Just loaded a flight at KMCO after selecting LIVE weather.  METAR > scattered at 3000 and Broken at 6000 (mostly cloudy) .  Hit FLY NOW and NOT a cloud in the sky and did not change over time. (Back to praying for HIFI Simulation to jump aboard) 😞

Well, something is clearly different.  What I've noticed is I need to restart the sim to get live weather AUTOMATICALLY to be the default selection, IOW I never had to 'select' LIVE weather, which you stated you did.  Try just starting the sim fresh, then go create your flight, and note if LIVE weather is selected by default.   There may be another setting I'm not aware that default to LIVE, so look into that.  I have noticed when I landed at KBIH an hour ago, and wanted to restart a new flight from that airport, the time was not correct so it was not LIVE but presumably historical, but I've never seen it defaullt to one of the canned options.  I bet there is a setting we're missing on that.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 minutes ago, Noel said:

Well, something is clearly different.  What I've noticed is I need to restart the sim to get live weather AUTOMATICALLY to be the default selection, IOW I never had to 'select' LIVE weather, which you stated you did.  Try just starting the sim fresh, then go create your flight, and note if LIVE weather is selected by default.   There may be another setting I'm not aware that default to LIVE, so look into that.  I have noticed when I landed at KBIH an hour ago, and wanted to restart a new flight from that airport, the time was not correct so it was not LIVE but presumably historical, but I've never seen it defaullt to one of the canned options.  I bet there is a setting we're missing on that.

Thanks for your input (appreciated).  I have no explanation as to why, but EVERY flight I start is from a "fresh" startup of MSFS.  After waiting the first several minutes, I click on the "map" and choose my departure airport and parking.  I then click on Flight Conditions (EVERY flight defaults to PRESET) and I have to click on LIVE to change it. I then receive a screen showing current LIVE time and a picture of cloudy weather (which is accurate) BUT when I click on FLY NOW, I am taken to the airport with a beautiful cloudless sky and bright sun .  If I wait for several minutes NOTHING changes.  I just did this as I type and the same results are present. 

• Upvote 1

WAT1460.png

18 minutes ago, vcarlo said:

Thanks for your input (appreciated).  I have no explanation as to why, but EVERY flight I start is from a "fresh" startup of MSFS.  After waiting the first several minutes, I click on the "map" and choose my departure airport and parking.  I then click on Flight Conditions (EVERY flight defaults to PRESET) and I have to click on LIVE to change it. I then receive a screen showing current LIVE time and a picture of cloudy weather (which is accurate) BUT when I click on FLY NOW, I am taken to the airport with a beautiful cloudless sky and bright sun .  If I wait for several minutes NOTHING changes.  I just did this as I type and the same results are present. 

Thank you for confirming that I'm not crazy.

I have been suspecting and sceptically receiving Live WX data here ( comparing all the time to other internet sources) but well, it's mostly quite goog nowadays ( since patch) and when I just 15 mins ago finished my flight EPWA-EVRA the wx in the sim was quite accurate compared to METARs. Maybe 10 deg difference in wd, but everything else well.

Petteri

Petteri Pulkkinen

EFNU, Finland

2 hours ago, vcarlo said:

2 hours ago, DJJose said:

Thank you for confirming that I'm not crazy.

I go to world map, and first select live weather, then I select my departure and arrival, etc.  Maybe order matters.  I'm pretty sure I've done it using your order too and it worked for me.  I just launched at KACK with overcast and 40kt winds which is accurate.

Edited by Gridley
  • Like 1

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Ok I see Live Weather is an option on the DATA tab under general options so be sure that is checked.

• Like 1

Noel

My weather is always set to live and flying in North America I rarely (never?) see cloud conditions that match current real world conditions. Quite often I have clear skies when METARs show various clouds.

I do hope there are improvements coming to this.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Did they match the current METAR? I’ve read an idea that the depicted weather is delayed by 12 hours. When I flew last night the current weather was cloudy, but the weather 12 hours earlier was clear. The sim depiction was clear.

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU