Sign in to follow this  
Alvega

Files locked???

All the files and folders inside my MSFS folder have a golden lock and I can't move them. As an example, I can put files inside the community folder but I' cant copy them later to the desktop or any other place, I can just delete them. 

If I try to move a file from the community folder to the desktop I get this message "Your organization doesn not allow you to place this file here". Why is this happening?

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

48 minutes ago, Alvega said:

All the files and folders inside my MSFS folder have a golden lock and I can't move them. As an example, I can put files inside the community folder but I' cant copy them later to the desktop or any other place, I can just delete them. 

If I try to move a file from the community folder to the desktop I get this message "Your organization doesn not allow you to place this file here". Why is this happening?

I have no problem moving files/folders from my community folder to another drive and back. Not sure. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

59 minutes ago, Alvega said:

I also can't move files out of my community folder. I can move and install stuff into it however.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Did you move your game folder to another drive?  it is a windows protection thing and that seems one way it can occur.  One way around it might be to set your cache locations etc to somewhere other than the default windows app location which is likely in \wpsystem somewhere and protected.

It is possible a third party copy utility like TeraCopy will bypass the restriction.

I am not an expert on this so hopefully someone with more knowledge will pop in and give advice.

Yes, I installed the sim on another drive.

I found this thread about Minecraft that seems to be the same issue. The problem is I can't move my sim folder to my Windows SDD because I don't have enough space there.  

@captain420 Do you also have the sim installed on another drive?

Edited by Alvega
  • Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I have the same challenge.  I use WinRar to rar up the folders. The .rar file can be moved and copied in and out of the msfs folders and you can unzip stuff into the protected MSFS folders also. It's an extra step, but its pretty quick.

Edited by odourboy
  • Like 2

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

2 minutes ago, Alvega said:

I found this thread about Minecraft that seems to be the same issue. The problem is I can't move my sim folder to my Windows SDD because I don't have enough space there.  

On my system, i pointed my cache and community etc files to a "games/Microsoft" folder on the d: (whereas the game itself lives in d:\wpsystem on my PC). it is still on my d: just not in the d:\wpsystem folder.  I have no trouble accessing it.

Note that change will not help you access your current community folder but might help avoid any future issues.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

5 minutes ago, odourboy said:

I have the same challenge.  I use WinRar to rar up the folders. The .rar file can be moved and copied in and out of the msfs folders and you can unzip stuff into the protected MSFS folders also. It's an extra step, but its pretty quick.

I tried to compress the G1000 mod with WinRar and move it out of the community folder but I get the same error about the organization not allowing.

Alvega

25 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

On my system, i pointed my cache and community etc files to a "games/Microsoft" folder on the 😧 (whereas the game itself lives in d:\wpsystem on my PC). it is still on my d: just not in the d:\wpsystem folder.  I have no trouble accessing it.

Note that change will not help you access your current community folder but might help avoid any future issues.

If I do that can I delete my current community folder after? Or will I have 2 community folders?

How do I point my cache and community files to another folder?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

9 minutes ago, Alvega said:

I tried to compress the G1000 mod with WinRar and move it out of the community folder but I get the same error about the organization not allowing.

Sorry.. you're on your own I guess. 😳

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I got the same error. It seems like this is a protection mechanism to prevent people from pirating but it goes too far. The only way is to use a copy tool that can run as Trusted Installer. For me it is too much so I just delete everything in Community folder and redownload them.

PS. Later i used this tool to manage my addons https://github.com/NathanVaughn/msfs-mod-manager and it has no problem moving the files to a temporary storage when I disable an addon.

Edited by illidanx
PS

1 hour ago, captain420 said:

I also can't move files out of my community folder. I can move and install stuff into it however.

Send the file to the GARBAGE...once there, you can do whatever with it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Alvega said:

If I do that can I delete my current community folder after? Or will I have 2 community folders?

How do I point my cache and community files to another folder?

Thanks for your help.

Not sure where I set it. maybe in options general somewhere or maybe in content manager.  I am not even 100% sure you CAN do it after you have installed.

Regardless, if you do manage to change the path I suspect the old files will stay there but be inactive until you delete them.

3 hours ago, Alvega said:

@captain420 Do you also have the sim installed on another drive?

Yes I have mine installed on D

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

15 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Send the file to the GARBAGE...once there, you can do whatever with it.

Nope, if you send it to the recycle bin you can just restore it, nothing else. You can't edit it or move it to other folder.

Edited by Alvega

Alvega