Sign in to follow this  
cantremember

Make copilot visible?

Is there a way or mod to make the copilot visible inside the cockpit?

I realise the model isn't animated and isn't meant to be seen from up close, but i still feel like seeing a rudimentary copilot would give a sense of scale and direction I'm somewhat missing in a completely empty cockpit.

I asked this before on the official forum, and the answer was, there is no copilot in the cockpit view. However, a copliot can bee seen from the outside view.

Maybe there is trick to make it visible in the cockpit view but I don't know it.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Yes the outside view has people in the cockpit, and the outside and cockpit view seem to share the same plane model. At least that's what it looks like to me because the outside view reflects the cockpit instruments in great detail, even things like floodlight brightness etc. So I was hoping it would be an easy mod to make the copilot avatar not disappear in the inside view without having to specifically add the model to the meshes manually for each plane.

I've encountered a bug when switching views from the exterior to cockpit where the pilots remained visible,  no idea how to reproduce it but it is technically possible.

I am sure the aftermarket/freeware people will soon have a workaround.

In fact, aside from generic male and female pilot types in airline uniform wearing aviators and a David Clark headset you can probably expect a bunch of pilot avatars that look like Spock from Star Trek, Mario, Donald trump, Japanese sailor suited high school girls, Scoobie Doo and eventually an app that lets you scan your own face onto the co-pilot avatar.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

26 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Donald trump

But only with mask 🤣

Stephan from Germany

My System

In cockpit view if you zoom back or up enough sometimes the pilots will pop into view. This leads me to believe that there is a value somewhere that determines the distance at which not to show the pilots.

James

10 hours ago, overt said:

I've encountered a bug when switching views from the exterior to cockpit where the pilots remained visible,  no idea how to reproduce it but it is technically possible.

6 hours ago, Phantoms said:

In cockpit view if you zoom back or up enough sometimes the pilots will pop into view. This leads me to believe that there is a value somewhere that determines the distance at which not to show the pilots.

If you go to drone view and get close enough to go inside the cockpit, you will indeed see both pilots until you get to that certain distance, when they will disappear.

Was it not said, officially or unofficially, that it was another hit on framerates or processing power to have the pilots constantly viewable? I may have imagined that.

Edited by 109Sqn

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

1 hour ago, 109Sqn said:

Was it not said, officially or unofficially, that it was another hit on framerates or processing power to have the pilots constantly viewable? I may have imagined that.

I can't imagine there is much of a performance hit as it is now, but if the pilots were higher resolution, with more animation then it might be an issue.

The main problem I see, is that it would take too much investment to get past the uncanny valley, time that would be better spent elsewhere in the sim. For me, looking over to see a robotic mannequin would kill the immersion more than having an empty cockpit, but each to their own.

I think it would look silly if they just sat there and moved their head back and forth like in external view.

It would look totally fake and unnatural unless they moved fluidly and moved the yoke and throttle based on the current flight control inputs.  Also, when handing off speaking to ATC their mouth needs to move in a realistic way as if they are speaking.

I’m getting the visual of the blow up copilot from the movie Airplane here!

I’m afraid this is just too much to add to this sim at this point and a stiff model of a copilot with their arms by their sides or randomly touching the controls would look silly, especially when you cant even see your own body in the main pilot seat.

Edited by Kilo60

Chris Camp

No thank you. Cockpit environments are getting so very good in MSFS with such high fidelity, in order not to ruin that environment, you would need a super detailed and realistic looking co-pilot. It would need to be animated to take the controls and operate radios when enabled to do so. Otherwise it is just a superfluous manikin that I would immediately disable. I would much rather they spent development time to implement that into something actually valuable.. such as improvements to aircraft and so on. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

I think it would look silly if they just sat there and moved their head back and forth like in external view.

It would look totally fake and unnatural unless they moved fluidly and moved the yoke and throttle based on the current flight control inputs.  

Worse would be if they slowly turned their head to stare at you.

One of the flight sim youtubers (I forget who) did a review of Train SIm World where he was freaked out by a guy in a tracksuit who had suddenly appeared in the other driver's seat and who just slowly turned to stare at him. It was like something out of a horror movie!😁

• Like 3

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

...and those animated "co-pilots" we have seen over the years, in other sims has, been soooo "realisticly" looking, right?  🙄 No one is more happy than me NOT see those so called "co-pilots"! But for those who likes that option, why not... (But why on earth??? realy)  As long as the co-pilot is NOT permanent and CAN be removed if one do so wish

The co-pilot as well as pilot model are tied to the LOD model of the cockpit. Making it happen is theoretically possible but would require editing every LOD0 cockpit model.

3MexwQl.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

Worse would be if they slowly turned their head to stare at you.

One of the flight sim youtubers (I forget who) did a review of Train SIm World where he was freaked out by a guy in a tracksuit who had suddenly appeared in the other driver's seat and who just slowly turned to stare at him. It was like something out of a horror movie!😁

Perhaps they could give you concerned looks when approaches are too high or too low and reflexively raise there hands in a protective stance in front of themselves if you look at risk of colliding with an object.

• Like 2