Sign in to follow this  
altenae

Why why can I not capture a LOC (ILS Approach)

Why why can I not capture a LOC (ILS Approach)

Tried so many ILS CAT III landings...never holding or capturing the LOC.

Made a youtube movie from the Primary flight display.

I hope someone can see what is going wrong on my side.
Did a FRESH MSFS2020 install.
Tried with A320 MOD and Navigraph Beta.
All the same

-NAV (green) LOC (blue)
-Capturing LOC -LOC (green)
-Losing LOC
-LOC (blue) NAV (green)..........????

https://youtu.be/RhH6IL15E4s

Edited by altenae

MSI Tomahawk Z790, I7-13700K, DDR5 6000mhz, MSI 4090, 3x SSD 980 PRO, Corsair 360 Liguid CPU cooler, Corsair H1200V2 power.

I am finding that there may be a problem with some airports. I tried landing at Edinburgh and was drifting to the left even though I had the correct wind conditions, pretty light anyway, in the approach computer. I find I have perfect landings a Malaga, Heathrow and Orlando. Madeira was also dodgy with a skewed approach.

2 minutes ago, CJ1045 said:

I am finding that there may be a problem with some airports. I tried landing at Edinburgh and was drifting to the left even though I had the correct wind conditions, pretty light anyway, in the approach computer. I find I have perfect landings a Malaga, Heathrow and Orlando. Madeira was also dodgy with a skewed approach.

But I tried EBBR, EHAM , LOWW etc.
Others do this same flight without any issues

MSI Tomahawk Z790, I7-13700K, DDR5 6000mhz, MSI 4090, 3x SSD 980 PRO, Corsair 360 Liguid CPU cooler, Corsair H1200V2 power.

Mh, maybe i am wrong, but although the plane starts to decend, the G/S stays blue. For me, the G/S goes green if the plane follwos the ILS. And you selected the APP mode only.

Perhaps you should try to select LOC first, when the airplane has catched the lateral flight path and the vertical diamond is moving down, you can switch to APP. This can be very demanding, as sometimes these two actions are very close to each other. But for me, this has worked very well on nearly every ILS approach.

Matthias

10 minutes ago, ankh21 said:

Mh, maybe i am wrong, but although the plane starts to decend, the G/S stays blue. For me, the G/S goes green if the plane follwos the ILS. And you selected the APP mode only.

Perhaps you should try to select LOC first, when the airplane has catched the lateral flight path and the vertical diamond is moving down, you can switch to APP. This can be very demanding, as sometimes these two actions are very close to each other. But for me, this has worked very well on nearly every ILS approach.

Matthias

Thanks..
Believe me..
Also tried that.
Capturing the LOC first and switch to APPR mode when it's time to capture the GS.
But soon it's the same issue with the LOC

Also had many flights with G/S green.
But still the same Issue with holding the LOC !!! (drives me crazy)

Edited by altenae

I use exclusively the Flybywire A320 and have not hit LOC once. I autopilot the plane the whole flight except takeoff. I have FD on all the time. I turn on IL about 30nm out. I am normally on 2nd level flaps before turning onto approach with the gear down and autobrake medium. Auto throttle on and Speed on auto. I then turn on Approach mode. I am usually at fixed altitude of about 3000ft and when the plane intercepts the glide scope the plane automatically flies down the glide slope and lands either itself or I land it from about 150ft.

CJ

• Like 1

I tried several ILS approaches at KORD with the 747 and other experiments - it was awful and absolutely pointless how the autopilot behaved. I gave it up to fly jets in MSFS. 

I just use it for GA - that works relativelY fine.

2 minutes ago, CJ1045 said:

I use exclusively the Flybywire A320 and have not hit LOC once. I autopilot the plane the whole flight except takeoff. I have FD on all the time. I turn on IL about 30nm out. I am normally on 2nd level flaps before turning onto approach with the gear down and autobrake medium. Auto throttle on and Speed on auto. I then turn on Approach mode. I am usually at fixed altitude of about 3000ft and when the plane intercepts the glide scope the plane automatically flies down the glide slope and lands either itself or I land it from about 150ft.

CJ

Sometimes I do exactly the same.
The G/S is always holding (correc) but the LOC is the same story always and always.

10 minutes ago, altenae said:

Also tried that.

Ah ok, was not clear to me as i used the video as reference. Sh...., then it seems to be one of these bugs some have problems with and others never see. I can tell you, FS suprises me every day. Sometimes the surprise is good, but sometimes...🙄

I will upload a video in the next 24 hours of what I am doing - after the patch drops, maybe delayed a little if it breaks the Flybywire mod again. I will fly Madrid to Malaga as I know Malaga is fine for landing as I just landed there yesterday and can record the whole flight. I will upload to Youtube.

CJ

2 hours ago, CJ1045 said:

I will upload a video in the next 24 hours of what I am doing - after the patch drops, maybe delayed a little if it breaks the Flybywire mod again. I will fly Madrid to Malaga as I know Malaga is fine for landing as I just landed there yesterday and can record the whole flight. I will upload to Youtube.

CJ

maybe you could fly EDDL to EBBR (ILS 25L-Z) ?????
(see route in youtube below after uploading)
Never worked for me this ILS landing 

Did a full flight and uploading now.
With the latest FS2020 patch and A320 MOD.

Capturing LOC first....still the same issue.
Will post youtube link soon..
Hope someone can figure out what I going on

Edited by altenae

Here the complete flight
Also when ending APPR and adjust heading myself nothing happens.
Disable AP fly it self no response (nothing happens)

Edited by altenae

Well tried for weeks and 20 ILS flights per day...
Still the same..
Must be me.....
Watched hundreds of tutorials but no luck.
It's just not holding the LOC.

Another thing (maybe it has to do with it) I noticed is that if I disable LOC  and want to take control of the HDG (Engage selected heading mode) nothing happens..
No response of the new heading ???

Is this normal ?
Pff I am afraid I will never find the cause on my side.

I‘ve never had this problem and I have no idea what could cause it, but since quite a few of the AP bugs seem to be related to peripherals and sensitivity, have you tried flying with keyboard only? 

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

I've noticed the ILS course has been off when flying G1000 and G3000 equipped aircraft. When you tune the frequency the course is set automatically, and it's often a few degrees off. 

When I did an ILS approach yesterday in the Mooney on "steam gauges" I could set the course myself.. and the aircraft had a tendency to fly a bit left of centerline. This was at KDAB (Daytona Beach Intl).

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s