Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

Overclocking My 1080TI for MFS 2020

10 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Take a look physically - in your PC - What's your GPU cooling doing Bob. In the box?

Don't let it go over approx 72° C.

Look at your box - are your fans doing the business?

My EVGA 1080 Ti (when under load) runs at about 70° when at 100% in MSFS2020. The fans are going ape. You know, full tilt.

It sounds to me it could be a cooling problem.

👍 It is definitely a box cooling problem, or it isn't helping at least. 

I have two in the front pushing in through a filter, and three at the top sucking out through the CPU water radiator, and it isn't enough. 

I will look at getting better flow, as the 1080 fans are just pushing it around inside.  I had the front door off but it is too noisy lol!.  🤣

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

18 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Run this Sim 

Well you're not going to get a rise out of me for that mate.

4k is your choice. I'm cool with Quad.

I don’t do things like that. When you said “The 1080 Ti absolutely smashes MSFS 2020” that’s what made me think you weren’t running at 4K.

I never questioned your choice of resolution. Take it easy.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

As I said Ray - you're not going to get a rise out of me.

I'm so happy with Quad. 2560 x 1440 Quad is fantastic on 1080 Ti and i7 4790K. 

No intention of going 4K for at least a year or so. If then.

I know you're a Mod now but let's drop it. (Somewhere over the Aegean Sea)

U222ntitled-1.jpg

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese

3 hours ago, crimplene said:

I use MSI Afterburner. And actually it's more like 3 % not 5 % as I see right now. 🙂 No screenshot, but I set Core +60 MHz and Memory +120 MHz. Anything higher produces a CTD. I think that depends very much on the individual card, cooling etc.

My new PC with a 2080 super will arrive in a few days, so I will finally be able to play with a 4K resolution. Couldn't wait for the 3080 to be available.

3080 is available now just did a Alienware build. They are not shipping for a bit however.

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Watch your 1080ti's temps.  I have a watercooled 1080ti and even so MSFS can really push it, especially with vsync off and no other sort of limitation in place.  I'm not sure what is best yet.

I have experimented with various schemes -- driver-level frame limit to 30 fps and 60hz refresh, vsync on and 30 hz refresh, vsync off and 60 hz refresh, 1080p, 1440p and 4K resolution -- currently running 4K with my 1080ti, but ultimately I may drop to 1440p for a sweet spot overflying a high-load city like London.

MSFS on my rig seems to not like 30 fps framelock with 60hz refresh, or at least I haven't found any combination of settings that worked well with that setup.  Whereas P3Dv5HF2 is very smooth with that configuration.  MSFS seems to like a different setup (in this case, vsync off and 60 hz refresh).  I would have to do a lot more testing to really know for sure what's best for my hardware though.

And if or when I get one of those rumored-3080ti's with 20GB vram, then I'll probably be a 4K guy for sure.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Not every 1080 (or any other graphics card) are the same.  Different card makers make different choices about how good or not the power stages, VRMs, capacitors, and the cooling system is.  Even with the 'auto OC' tools that many cards come with now, stability is not guaranteed, and just because something worked for one person does not mean it work for another person.  Will the GPU protect itself if it gets too hot, yes, but that doesn't mean the system will be stable, just that you're less likely to damage anything.

Case in point:  A number of brand new RTX 3080's shipped with aggressive boost algorithms that caused crashing in some applications as delivered from the manufacturer, without even turning on any additional OC features. 

Also most cards will have a sharp increase in power draw beyond a certain point.  More power draw = more heat in the case (heating everything else up) and more load on the power supply.

Without knowing what exact hardware other people are running, or what the margins on their cooling system and power supply might be, and their level of ability to properly diagnose instability (vs blaming on MSFS later) - I don't think blinding recommending OCing stuff for a 3-5% gain "because it worked great for me" is an appropriate thing to do.  Some cases have really poor cooling (due to the love for tempered glass panels and RGB these days) and some cards have poor cooling as well.

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals