Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

ATC is not a priority for Asobo?

10 minutes ago, Redge said:

On this week's Twitch Q&A they specifically mentioned one of the upcoming Sim Updates (3 or 4, I don't remember which) in Q1 2021 will be focused on ATC improvements.

I believe they were talking about some changes to approach phraseology in Sim Update 3. Longer term there was some discussion about maybe offering options for strict ICAO, US and European phraseology around Sim Update 7. Bottom line: ATC is on the radar for some improvement in the medium to long term.

• Like 1

Give people power to really test their personality.

Simmers who claim that the default ATC is "useless" are simply simmers who can't be bothered to figure out what the default ATC actually has to offer (or not).

On 10/29/2020 at 3:34 PM, Virtual-Chris said:

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think there's been a single enhancement to ATC since launch.  Yet ATC, at least for me, is one of the most frustrating aspects of the SIM and an immersion killer. You're either forced to ignore them or follow their nonsensical directions neither of which is NOT immersive in the slightest.  ATC is a HUGE part of aviation and yet it seems to be one of the most neglected aspects of the sim.

Does anyone else wonder why it's being ignored?

You’re mistaken. 

I know that this is a backhanded complement, but of all the major features that were hobbled when MSFS was first released, the ATC was the least broken. It's at least usable and it does control and communicate with the AI aircraft.  P2ATC has better phraseology but just like P2ATC for P3d5 and XP11, one loses all connection to the AI aircraft. Unfortunately, until Asobo fixes the SimConnect calls in the MSFS SDK, there won't be a version of VOXATC for MSFS.

On 10/29/2020 at 7:34 PM, Virtual-Chris said:

Does anyone else wonder why it's being ignored?

Seems they have too mutch do 🤪🤪  but shure you right.

Last flight with the 748 my Cruise alt in flightplan was set to 39000 feet

and the ATC told me to climp at 54000 feet what never is possible with the weight i had..

Maybe the ATC guy was drunk.. 🤤

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

16 hours ago, Chock said:

'Not a priority' is not the same as 'never going to be addressed'. As it stands, the default ATC is reasonably okay, certainly no worse than the defaults in other sims and in large part considerably better since it does at least handle SIDs and STARs. So there really is no reason not to believe that it will be a target for third party developers and really, that probably suits MS and Asobo, because for one thing they can stick any add-on ATC programs through their marketplace and profit from them anyway, and in the interim the default ATC is probably good enough for most users of the type MS want to attract.

3rd Party Development for ATC in P3D still is insufficient after all this time!

There really isn't a single P3D ATC add-on that does everything well and I've gone back to the default with EVP in P3D for now.  Either it is the robotic voices, lack of taxi control for add-on AI Aircraft, Ignoring the wind changes and active runways etc...etc... 

It's the number one thing I hope Aboso can improve upon because it's the hardest part of the sim to get right!

Chris Camp

It was great to see that ATC got some love in the latest patch. It renews faith that they recognize some shortcomings.  What surprises me is the often bipolar FL changes have not been addressed.  I don’t know how many times I have to ignore an instruction to climb to FL150 on approach. If they simply added a line of code to check phase of flight before issuing a climb request, it would solve half of my issues. The other half would be solved by considering terrain height and nav chart constraints for descent instructions. It’s not hard. It will take one developer an afternoon to fix these things. All the bits needed to code it sensibly are already there. 

Edited by Virtual-Chris

They have other issues with the sim. While stability has been massively increased for me - only one or two hangs in 2 hours - for others, it still looks kinda buggy. However, given their rate of progress, which is far higher than anything I've seen, ATC might be focused on around late 2021 - 2022.