Sign in to follow this  
Pepsimachine

Now able to load approaches when flying direct to

From the G1000 manual:

APPROACH MODES (GPS, VAPP, LOC)

NOTE: The selected navigation receiver must have a valid VOR or LOC signal or active GPS course for the flight director to enter Approach Mode.

Approach Mode is activated when the APR Key is pressed. Approach Mode acquires and tracks the selected navigation source (GPS, VOR, or LOC), depending on loaded approach. This mode uses the selected navigation receiver deviation and desired course inputs to fly the approach. Pressing the APR Key when the CDI is greater than one dot arms the selected approach mode (annunciated in white to the left of the active lateral mode). If the CDI is less than one dot, the LOC is automatically captured when the APR Key is pressed.

VOR Approach Mode (VAPP) provides greater sensitivity for signal tracking than VOR Navigation Mode .

Selecting VOR Approach Mode:

1) Ensure a valid VOR frequency is tuned.

2) Ensure that VOR is the selected navigation source (use the CDI Softkey to cycle through navigation sources if necessary).

3) Press the APR Key.

When GPS Approach Mode is armed, Glidepath Mode is also armed.

Selecting GPS Approach Mode:

1) Ensure a GPS approach is loaded into the active flight plan. The active waypoint must be part of the flight plan (cannot be a direct-to a waypoint not in the flight plan).

2) Ensure that GPS is the selected navigation source (use the CDI Softkey to cycle through navigation sources if necessary).

3) Press the APR Key.

Al

BTW, with the Garmin GTN750, activating the approach takes you direct to the IAF.

Edited by ark

Naw I tried this....  database is still missing many airport approaches.  I tried a local one here, KCFE (almost within 30 miles of Minneapolis MN) - and CFE has zero approaches. 

KCFE no approaches 😞

I am flying the RNAV 14 at KSTP - im curious if it skips the IAF and just shows the FAF as I've found to happen before.

50549574082_a4b1d8494c_o.pngnoapproach by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It definitely seems to be an approach data problem, maybe not an issue with the G1000.  Approaches into KBUF are still not working.  RNAV approaches bring you in 20 degrees off the runway heading (there's no offset or terrain to worry about, other than an occasional mountain of snow).  Van Nuys runway 16 works perfectly, but KBUF is just wrong every time. 

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Another bug perhaps with the G1000 is getting all the approaches that are in the database for an airport to be visible for selection. For example, KDEN has a large list of approaches that extend 'below' the bottom of the display screen. Is there a way to scroll down (or move the list up) somehow to see the 'hidden' approaches? The approaches are there because if you move the cursor down and out of sight and then hit enter, an approach is selected.

Al

Edited by ark

29 minutes ago, kerosene31 said:

It definitely seems to be an approach data problem, maybe not an issue with the G1000.  Approaches into KBUF are still not working.  RNAV approaches bring you in 20 degrees off the runway heading (there's no offset or terrain to worry about, other than an occasional mountain of snow).  Van Nuys runway 16 works perfectly, but KBUF is just wrong every time. 

Oh sorry didn't mean to imply a G1000 issue...but there's still plenty of avionics issues along the same lines.  It does seem that larger airports have more approaches.  I wonder if its something to do with the same bug as the Garmin GNS' used to have.  They had to decombine databases and stop including airports with runways less than 4000 ft because the DB wasn't fitting on the SD cards.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

9 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Oh sorry didn't mean to imply a G1000 issue...but there's still plenty of avionics issues along the same lines.  It does seem that larger airports have more approaches.  I wonder if its something to do with the same bug as the Garmin GNS' used to have.  They had to decombine databases and stop including airports with runways less than 4000 ft because the DB wasn't fitting on the SD cards.

Definitely possible.  I know around Buffalo I pick an approach in the first two points are fine.  After that, it just switches to "runway x" and skips a whole bunch of points still to go that actually line up with the runway.  The first two points match the current chart perfectly, then it is like the data is just gone. 

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF