Sign in to follow this  
WidowsSon

Nvidia RTX 3090 vs 2080 Ti vs 1070 Ti

8 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

Thanks for a great video!

I bought an RTX 3090 as well, and the difference between my RTX 2080 Super is fairly large. 

I have nearly the same system as in the test video, R9 3900X, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, RTX 3090, seperate NVMe drives for sim and OS, and a 3440x1440 60Hz monitor. 

The biggest change I could make when switching from RTX 2080 Super to RTX 3090 was that I can run mostly everything on Ultra, except a few small variables that might not make a difference (light cone, shadows), then Terrain LOD at 200 and render scaling at 100 at 3440x1440.

With the RTX 2080 Super I would be 98% pegged at GPU at 3440x1440 meaning GPU limited. With the RTX 3090 I'm at about 68% on the GPU, so clearly CPU limited. 

The VRAM  usage at 3440x1440 is around 8 GB or so, even with all textures on ultra. I expected it to be more.

Thanks Republic, good info.

I haven't had enough time to play with it yet, but on default (as in video) I'm getting about 30-35% better frames at 4k than 2080 Ti and like you said, not running 100% utilization. I'm guessing I could get up to around 50% over 2080 Ti.

I bet if I spent some time in the .cfg files (not sure if this is a good example) and boost LOD to 400 or more and higher texture maps etc... hopefully to take advantage of all that VRAM past what is available in settings. Will have to definitely limit CPU bound settings and see how I can push it.

Will make a video on this I think.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WidowsSon said:

Thanks Republic, good info.

I haven't had enough time to play with it yet, but on default (as in video) I'm getting about 30-35% better frames at 4k than 2080 Ti and like you said, not running 100% utilization. I'm guessing I could get up to around 50% over 2080 Ti.

I bet if I spent some time in the .cfg files (not sure if this is a good example) and boost LOD to 400 or more and higher texture maps etc... hopefully to take advantage of all that VRAM past what is available in settings. Will have to definitely limit CPU bound settings and see how I can push it.

Will make a video on this I think.

I would be very interested in pushing LOD to 400 and then changing other settings to keep it GPU bound.  That would probably be the ideal scenario for me visually.  I would trade more LOD for nearly anything else except cloud rendering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmaRacing said:

the biggest leap is going from 16:9 to 21:9.
I started seeing 16:9 as I saw 4:3 back when 16:9 came out and couldn't stand it anymore.
Especially for flight simulators, the wider the better.
3440x1440 starts to be taxing on my brave 1070 though.

1080p outside of 5" screens is not even to be considered HD anymore IMO.

To each his own.  I'm not a fan of 21:9.  While there are pros.  There are also cons. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

On 11/4/2020 at 12:12 PM, Republic3D said:

Thanks for a great video!

I bought an RTX 3090 as well, and the difference between my RTX 2080 Super is fairly large. 

I have nearly the same system as in the test video, R9 3900X, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, RTX 3090, seperate NVMe drives for sim and OS, and a 3440x1440 60Hz monitor. 

The biggest change I could make when switching from RTX 2080 Super to RTX 3090 was that I can run mostly everything on Ultra, except a few small variables that might not make a difference (light cone, shadows), then Terrain LOD at 200 and render scaling at 100 at 3440x1440.

With the RTX 2080 Super I would be 98% pegged at GPU at 3440x1440 meaning GPU limited. With the RTX 3090 I'm at about 68% on the GPU, so clearly CPU limited. 

The VRAM  usage at 3440x1440 is around 8 GB or so, even with all textures on ultra. I expected it to be more.

Thanks for the info Republic,

I found with the 2080 Ti that I was gpu limited and the 3900x could keep up (maybe just barely). As soon as I switched to the 3090, the cpu had a lot of trouble trying to make calls to draw those extra XX% of frames the 3090 could handle.

I turned LOD's way down to 50 and it still was somewhat CPU limited. Trying to squeeze the most out of the 3090 with the 3900x in MSFS seems like a mission of impossibility.

Out of interest I wonder if you could fire me a screen shot of your settings in a PM and we could do a little testing back and forth between us. Your setup is like you said almost identical. Ram speed shouldn't make a difference. Would be interested to see if I can get similar results to you etc..

All I know for sure is I'm very CPU limited like you. I saw results of the 3900x at 55 fps (about what I'm getting after tweaking) and the 5950x getting 74 fps with the same settings and GPU so I'm very excited to get that sucker installed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WidowsSon said:

Thanks for the info Republic,

I found with the 2080 Ti that I was gpu limited and the 3900x could keep up (maybe just barely). As soon as I switched to the 3090, the cpu had a lot of trouble trying to make calls to draw those extra XX% of frames the 3090 could handle.

I turned LOD's way down to 50 and it still was somewhat CPU limited. Trying to squeeze the most out of the 3090 with the 3900x in MSFS seems like a mission of impossibility.

Out of interest I wonder if you could fire me a screen shot of your settings in a PM and we could do a little testing back and forth between us. Your setup is like you said almost identical. Ram speed shouldn't make a difference. Would be interested to see if I can get similar results to you etc..

All I know for sure is I'm very CPU limited like you. I saw results of the 3900x at 55 fps (about what I'm getting after tweaking) and the 5950x getting 74 fps with the same settings and GPU so I'm very excited to get that sucker installed.

I'm unable to do that today unfortunately, but yes it would definately be interesting. 
I have ordered the R9 5900X, but it says delivery is around 2nd of December for me. That should be a big boost. 

One thing I've done lately is changing Windows Graphics settings (type GPU in the search bar) and turned on Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling. This should move more of the draw calls out of the CPU and onto the GPU. I can't say I noticed much of a difference though. 

Another thing I've noticed is that I increased in-cockpit FPS by setting the PFD/MFD refresh rate from Medium to High. I think it's got something to do with that I'm running at 60 Hz with G-Sync enabled. No V-Sync or FPS limit. 

I'll try to get a screen grab of my settings though. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

8 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

I'm unable to do that today unfortunately, but yes it would definately be interesting. 
I have ordered the R9 5900X, but it says delivery is around 2nd of December for me. That should be a big boost. 

One thing I've done lately is changing Windows Graphics settings (type GPU in the search bar) and turned on Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling. This should move more of the draw calls out of the CPU and onto the GPU. I can't say I noticed much of a difference though. 

Another thing I've noticed is that I increased in-cockpit FPS by setting the PFD/MFD refresh rate from Medium to High. I think it's got something to do with that I'm running at 60 Hz with G-Sync enabled. No V-Sync or FPS limit. 

I'll try to get a screen grab of my settings though. 

Thanks Republic, no rush, just interested.

I have noticed the cockpit refresh rate is a bit clunky on medium but figured high would restrict my CPU even further. Will have to do some more testing on that setting.

Been looking for a 5900x or 5950x without any luck. May have missed the pre-order boat here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WidowsSon said:

Thanks Republic, no rush, just interested.

I have noticed the cockpit refresh rate is a bit clunky on medium but figured high would restrict my CPU even further. Will have to do some more testing on that setting.

Been looking for a 5900x or 5950x without any luck. May have missed the pre-order boat here.

Yeah I missed the boat on the first batch of chips as well. It was in back order when I ordered. So it probably will get delayed. 

I'll try to link my settings here:

fCn75zo.jpg

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S

On 11/4/2020 at 7:59 PM, micstatic said:

To each his own.  I'm not a fan of 21:9.  While there are pros.  There are also cons. 

Yes, they cost more and you need a bigger desk\wall

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

7 minutes ago, EmaRacing said:

Yes, they cost more and you need a bigger desk\wall

That is less of an issue for me.  i like the clarity of 4k in terms of pixels.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

3 hours ago, micstatic said:

It depends on the size of the panel and distance, I have to get my eyes 30cm (a cabbage and 1/4) from the screen to see individual pixels on a 34", and it's fine, for now.

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

5 hours ago, micstatic said:

There are 21:9 monitors with 3840x1600 resolution out there.

Like the LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 37.5" 144 Hz IPS/LED with G-Sync. It's quite expensive though. 

53 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

Like the LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 37.5" 144 Hz IPS/LED with G-Sync. It's quite expensive though. 

yes but the X1600.  I fly 3840x2160.  that's 35% more pixels.  I would notice that. 

8 hours ago, Republic3D said:

I use this monitor. Good piece of kit. The extra vertical pixels really helps with that aspect ratio.

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 1

I love this thread. It reminds me every day about how much money I'm saving by not spending it on hardware that really doesn't do much for the sim.

I'm running MSFS on a 2560 by 1080 p monitor, attached to an old  5 year AMD gpu. I'm willing to trade a small degradation in visual quality (see the video comparing different texture settings) for a significant amount of performance gain.

I've yet to see one video that would lead me to run out and buy new hardware.

Hi,

I saw someone say they were holding out on high end nvidia gpus because of next gen AMPERE series. The cards on this thread and video look really good anyways.

So that suprised me somewhat. Curious iff anyone has thoughts on this.

Edited by icewater5
info edit