Sign in to follow this  
sauviat

Houston, we have a problem!

Since the launch of MSFS I have been subjected to a continuing unfortunate issue with the parking brake/throttle not releasing. I have written on different forums about it, with a number of solutions being offered - none of which resolved the issue.

The issue itself is one where you release the parking brake, throttle up and the plane does not budge! The same if you're taxiing and have to hold, it is difficult to move again.

After each patch, nothing has happened and several reports via the Zendesk reporting system were lodged. It is always noted as solved once Zendesk has done its job, but that does not mean the developers have looked at it, other than it is in the system and, of course, they will have their priorities as to what issue/bug is dealt with first.

There are real people behind the scenes that do work on these issues and, I can say, that yesterday someone had made direct contact with me and posed some interesting questions and that my parking brake/throttle issue is going to be looked at.

As it happens with all default planes, with nothing in the Community folder and anywhere in the world, it is a concern for MS/ASOBO. They are aware that some airports have the wrong altitude set and that can lock the plane from moving. It was also interesting in that he did say that many users suffer from various issues, because they don't update their Windows 10 version when the updates come out. As I have a new PC for MSFS purchased at the end of August this year, they can delve into the simulator system itself to seek out the issue.

I have been given confidence that eventually, in time, the issue of the parking brake/throttle will be resolved.

Martin

• Like 2

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

This can happen when parking brake assignments are accidentally linked to an 'active pause' assignment, but I have not seen any other reports and I have not had it myself other than when I made the mistake I just mentioned early on after downloading the sim.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

@bobcat999 Hi, no it's nothing to do with the controllers as this started from day one when the setup was virgin and no assignments were made. Every controller and assignment has been looked at for compromises.

Martin

Martin Parr

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

1 hour ago, sauviat said:

the issue of the parking brake/throttle will be resolved

What issue?

@Ricardo41 as in my second paragraph.

Martin

The issue itself is one where you release the parking brake, throttle up and the plane does not budge! The same if you're taxiing and have to hold, it is difficult to move again.

Martin Parr

@Ricardo41 as in my second paragraph.

Martin

You're the only one I've seen with this problem. It's probably active pause being triggered some how. Look at your control assignments again. Search for pause and make sure you select all when you do 

1 hour ago, devgrp said:

You're the only one I've seen with this problem

Not true that it is unique to him. It is an issue in the sim. Ground friction has been a modeling issue in previous versions of Microsoft simulators as well over the years.  https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/392772-inherent-flaw-of-fsx-to-give-too-much-ground-friction/

With some MSFS 2020 aircraft it is worse than others.  Especially with the prop models.  The DA62 is a prime example.  Robert Young is nearing a release of a DA62 mod that among other issues will address this issue as best as possible in that one specific aircraft.  Here is an exchange on the subject per the DA62 in the MSFS 2020 topic "PREVIEW: DA62 complete Makeover"   

From me:
Excellent news! Were you able to adjust the huge amount of power needed to get the plane rolling from a stop in the Asobo version? Even the community mod on the Flight Simulator forum requires near 20% power just to get the plane rolling from a stop. That's better than the ~60% in the stock plane, but still seems suspiciously high. I could be wrong, though, since I've never flown one in real life.

--------------------------------
From Robert:
Answering both the above posts:

The stronger ground friction in MSFS is a challenge as it means nearly all prop aircraft require unusual amounts of power to get moving. No-one has found a way to reduce the hard code friction. But my prop mod has overcome this. However you have to be careful when tweaking this, because once they are moving with better low down power, they also keep rolling at idle throttle, so it is a balance between the two. But the short answer is yes. My mod will enable the DA62 to take off with a light load in 16-17 seconds and around 21-22 seconds with a fuller load, which is just about spec. It will also roll with much less initial power.

This compares with 26 seconds in the default and its very sluggish acceleration.

Edited Tuesday at 03:32 PM by robert young

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

24 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Not true.  With some aircraft it is worse than others.  Especially with the prop models.  The DA62 is a prime example.  Robert Young is nearing a release of a DA62 mod that will address this issue as best as possible in that one specific aircraft.  Here is an exchange on the subject per the DA62 in the MSFS 2020 topic "PREVIEW: DA62 complete Makeover"

That is a different issue to do with the ground friction settings being too high - they just take a bit more throttle than they should to get rolling, and even then it isn't much of a problem, just not accurate..

With Sauviat's problem, he said 'throttle up and the plane does not budge!'  Whether it is a control issue or not, and I know he has said he has checked everything, but this particular 'will not budge' issue IS indicative of an Active Pause problem - everything else keeps moving, clouds, other traffic etc.  even the wind keeps rocking the aircraft, except the plane just will not move forward.

@Sauviat.  When this happens, have you tried moving the mouse to the top of the screen and then clicking on the active pause icon on the far left?

Edited by bobcat999

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

@bobcat999Actually flying at present. The active pause toggle stops the flight in flight. Will check when I've landed.

Martin

Nope, when the A320NX is on the ground and at a halt, throttling up does not move the plane. Using Active Pause on and off does njot make any difference.

Edited by sauviat
Update
  • Like 1

Martin Parr

15 minutes ago, sauviat said:

@bobcat999Actually flying at present. The active pause toggle stops the flight in flight. Will check when I've landed.

Martin

It stops the plane. Everything else around it is still in play 

I feel your pain. I started having this problem a few weeks ago flying the Cessna 172 (steam gauge) out of KIKV. It occurs intermittently about every third takeoff. Sometimes moving the rudder pedals left and right will cause the plane to start to roll. Visually, I've confirmed that the parking break is off. Pretty frustrating.

• Upvote 1

I would be pulling my hair out at this.  Very frustrating for you.  🙁  I am out of ideas on this one.

Edited by bobcat999

47 minutes ago, sauviat said:

Nope, when the A320NX is on the ground and at a halt, throttling up does not move the plane.

Can you see visually that the park brake is released when this happens? I have never experienced this. If it happens when the park brake is off in the cockpit, then yes, a very odd issue.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

It's a real issue, but very intermittent.  I've seen the problem twice, out of probably 150 flights.

@RaptyrOne With the A32NX I check all the time as the dev mod is updated everyday. With this one it is OK sometimes, but on the default it happens all the time.

Martin

Martin Parr