Sign in to follow this  
dolbinau

FreeSync via G-Sync settings - does it do anything?

Hi all,

I've enabled G-sync via Nvidea control panel for my Asus monitor that supports Freesync and disabled V-Sync. I can't tell if it has actually done anything - MSFS might be a bit smoother but it might just be a placebo. In theory should this do anything? 

I have a low-end GFX card (GTX 1060 3GB). 

You shall enable both V-Sync and G-sync in Nvidia panel for best performance, I also cap my frames to 30fps with Riva Tuner, I have a BenQ freesync monitor and it works great.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

9 hours ago, dolbinau said:

Hi all,

I've enabled G-sync via Nvidea control panel for my Asus monitor that supports Freesync and disabled V-Sync. I can't tell if it has actually done anything - MSFS might be a bit smoother but it might just be a placebo. In theory should this do anything? 

I have a low-end GFX card (GTX 1060 3GB). 

You have to enable GSync also for windowed mode in order to have it working with MSFS: 

1sUyHtp.png

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

I have done this and I'm not convinced it's working. There's an nvidia gsync demo app, and perhaps it will not work with freesync, but that shows tearing just no no V sync when I set it to G Sync on? Temporarily using a Asus VP28U that supposedly supports FreeSync. 

I follow this tips, works perfect with my BenQ Freesync monitor, https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/
My monitor sync range amounts are between 48-100Hz, but it also have low framerate compensation (LFC), which allows sync technology to work when the framerate falls below the minimum refresh rate of the display, so check if your monitor have LFC technology.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Thanks all. I'm personally finding that when it's enabled I get weird flickering on my screen that is unbearable so I'm going back to Vsync only I think.

2 hours ago, dolbinau said:

Thanks all. I'm personally finding that when it's enabled I get weird flickering on my screen that is unbearable so I'm going back to Vsync only I think.

I also get flickering if I run with G-Sync only.

Edited by Ixoye

Works for me .. No flickering. Your experiences will vary depending on hardware i guess. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

3 hours ago, Ixoye said:

I also get flickering if I run with G-Sync only.

Brightness fluctuations are expected when the framerate (and the refresh rate, with a Freesync/Gsync monitor) oscillates, especially with VA panels. 

Either you live with it or use a fixed refresh rate.

Oddly, in MSFS I have this issue even when I lock the framerate at 30 fps, when theoretically the monitor should always work at 60 Hz (2*30). IIn Red Dead Redemption 2, which runs at 45-60 fps on my system, I don't have it and the experience is smooth and flawless. Maybe that's because RDR2 can run in real fullscreen mode while MSFS runs in borderless window mode and in these conditions GSync is kind of buggy.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

3 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

Brightness fluctuations are expected when the framerate (and the refresh rate, with a Freesync/Gsync monitor) oscillates, especially with VA panels. 

Either you live with it or use a fixed refresh rate.

Oddly, in MSFS I have this issue even when I lock the framerate at 30 fps, when theoretically the monitor should always work at 60 Hz (2*30). IIn Red Dead Redemption 2, which runs at 45-60 fps on my system, I don't have it and the experience is smooth and flawless. Maybe that's because RDR2 can run in real fullscreen mode while MSFS runs in borderless window mode and in these conditions GSync is kind of buggy.

Or purchase a higher end monitor that is G-Sync hardware based and has no flicker all the way down to 20fps. There is so much mis-information regarding G-Sync on these forums it would take a decade to correct! 

7 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Or purchase a higher end monitor that is G-Sync hardware based and has no flicker all the way down to 20fps. 

Such as...? Mention some models pls.

2 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

Such as...? Mention some models pls.

All that have the real G-Sync badge, not only G-sync compatible, you'll only find them in the upper price class unfortunately.

• Like 1