Sign in to follow this  
bendead

Is the MSFS A320 an ekranoplan?

Ok, i am having issue to land the A320, using the latest A32NX dev version.

When I am at 20 feet above the runway, 141kt, full flaps, idle, trying to flare, well the Airbus is at 20 feet and will just stay there, no matter how long is the runway, maybe I will lose 4-5 knot after 3km and the attitude won't change much

Seems like the ground effect is a bit much

Do you experience the same?

• Like 1

No, I fly it all the way down and pull power when the retard command is given. This works for me both hand flying the throttles and auto throttle till the callout.

Depending on the weight of the plane the airspeed is between 130 and 140 usually.

The trick is don't flare to high and not too much, let it settle. I find very small adjustments on the stick is all you need.

I have never flown an A320 in real life so I don't know if this is how it should feel, but it is pretty similar to FF A320 in X-plane.

The biggest GA plane I have flown in real life is the Piper Aztec, it feels heavy as well and needs power all the way down.

The landing weight makes a big difference, if you are only doing circuits, reduce the fuel to almost empty. A heavy p[lane will really mush in.

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

From my little experience in Level D heavy jet sim, the flare technique used in light GA  airplanes doesn't works there. Instead flaring "GA style" - meaning depleting remanning lift  while producing zero thrust, heavy jet flare looks like more  round up with controlled rate of descent. The difference is that flight idle in heavy jet  producing way more thrust than in generic light GA. 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I agree with you, it's a different technique, but I never had any problem landing PMDG birds on FSX,

Here I can cover the TNCM addon full runway, 7500 ft, remaining all the time at 20ft AGL, idle, with a massive drag due to the full flap and only losing a couple of knots.

Edit : Also not sure it was the weight, I was 60t TOW for a 79t MTOW

Edited by bendead

Ok, so at 60t landing weight, with an approach speed of 115-120kt. I have a beautifully landing and a nice flare, similar to what I had on PMDG addons.

The app speed calculated by the MCDU is too high or the ground effect a bit much or the calculated drag is too low.

Not done one flight with the 320n in MSFS, but around 2000 hours in the FSL A320.

"Retard" is not a command its a reminder. 

Retard at 20 ft and flare at the same time is the way I landed the FSL.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I've seen many go arounds at my local airport (EGKK) and these have been predominately A318/19s. An airbus Captain I used to know told me the main reason for the go around was because the A318/19 had the same wings as the A320 but a much shorter fuselage and consequently had difficulty in getting "through" the ground effect generated by the wings during the warm summer months. He said basically the plane floated and you ran out of runway to land on so it was TOGA time. 

I don't know why but I actually feel like the A320 in MSFS handles the nicest and seemingly accurately of all A320s in the various other sims I've flown. The autopilot is something else and needs a lot of work but it hand flies really nicely!

Its the only one which seems to get the flare right. You need a lot of back pressure on the stick, almost all of it, in the last 10 feet or so, which seems very realistic.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

2 minutes ago, Tom Wright said:

You need a lot of back pressure on the stick, almost all of it, in the last 10 feet or so, which seems very realistic.

If you do that with the approach speed close to what gives you the MCDU before retarding, you will climb up quite a lot.

Are you using the A32NX mod, if yes, which version?

3 minutes ago, bendead said:

If you do that with the approach speed close to what gives you the MCDU before retarding, you will climb up quite a lot.

Are you using the A32NX mod, if yes, which version?

The last couple I have been using the VAPP speed in the Approach page of the MCDU. Its usually somewhere in the region of 140kts.

Not using the FBW mod yet, so all default with the latest patch.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

1 minute ago, Tom Wright said:

Not using the FBW mod yet, so all default with the latest patch.

Thanks for the info, I will try again without the mod

Also worth noting, you are flying the development branch. So things are experimental and expected to function outside the ordinary scope of expectations. Might I suggest dialing back to the stable build unless you intend on working on the bird, will save you some grief on its qwerks.

7 minutes ago, Armchair Pilot said:

Also worth noting, you are flying the development branch. So things are experimental and expected to function outside the ordinary scope of expectations. Might I suggest dialing back to the stable build unless you intend on working on the bird, will save you some grief on its qwerks.

I was reading at the release of the new patch that the A32NX 0.41 wasn't working well with it. that's why I installed the dev version

Yeah dev builds can have inherited flaws with them, es0ecially since fbw currently is rebuilding AP logic. Stable build works fine atm apart from the oscillating roll issue.

Just finished a couple of landing with the default version and it's perfect at speed indicated by the MCDU.

Now I will give a shot at the stable A32NX