Hi all, 

I don't fly since 2016 or before. I have an i7-2600k processor which is a very old one with more or less 8 years. I stopped in FSX with all addons like Aerosoft, ORBX, FlyTampa, PMDG, AI Traffic, Weather programs and so on.

Never used P3D...

I want to be back to flightsim, maybe with both P3Dv5 and MSFS, which means I need a new system. No money problems, but if I can stay between 2000 and 3000 euros as a final price, that would be ideal... For this price, I am just counting CPU, Videocard, Motheboard, Memory, Storage devices (at least one for OS and another one Flightsim and other things), Cooling, Case, Power Supply and minor needed things. Sound card of monitor are out of this budget because I also work with sound/video which means I need to invest something in this area.

Advices needed, especially about the difficult decisions like AMD Ryzen 5900X or Intel i9-10900K, Radeon 6800X or RTX 3080, and so on...

Maybe I would like to go to 4k resolution. Tell me your advices on this as well.   

And another issue is that I would prefer if the CPU is used like it comes which means no overclocking. Although I would like to see advices for both yes or no overclocking. I had a vey good experience with OC my last system myself but after some months blue screens were coming, more and more with the time, to the point that I could not open my very heavy FSX with "thousand" addons.

Thanks,

NO  

Edited by harpsi

Here is a possible list:

Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor / AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor

Corsair H115i PRO 55.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler    

Asus ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard / Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard

G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory        

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive        

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive    

Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card    

Thermaltake Versa J22 ATX Mid Tower Case    

Corsair TXM Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply    

Asus TUF Gaming VG289Q 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor

Good options?

Looks good to me. If going the AMD route I'd probably swap out the ASUS mobo for the MSI X570 Tomahawk if you can get it as it has great performance for about the same price - you can check out the review on Gamers Nexus. 

Not sure if you really need 64GB of RAM so you could save a bit and drop down to 32GB but if it's needed for work and all within your budget then no worries. 

I might go for a slightly better case like the Phanteks P600S or Fractal Meshify C. I have the P600S myself and like it a lot - airflow is good and it has some covers that you can take off the front and top if you want to increase airflow for gaming and then you can put them back on after to have it run more quietly.

If I was going with the P600S case I'd probably switch out the Cooler for the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 as you'll get great performance for less money (Gamers Nexus has a good review on this too). The only thing with this cooler is it needs about 65mm headroom in the case and I can confirm that it will fit in the P600S as it's what I use. Some other cases might not have enough headroom.

1 hour ago, Tektolnes said:

Looks good to me. If going the AMD route I'd probably swap out the ASUS mobo for the MSI X570 Tomahawk if you can get it as it has great performance for about the same price - you can check out the review on Gamers Nexus. 

Not sure if you really need 64GB of RAM so you could save a bit and drop down to 32GB but if it's needed for work and all within your budget then no worries. 

I might go for a slightly better case like the Phanteks P600S or Fractal Meshify C. I have the P600S myself and like it a lot - airflow is good and it has some covers that you can take off the front and top if you want to increase airflow for gaming and then you can put them back on after to have it run more quietly.

If I was going with the P600S case I'd probably switch out the Cooler for the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 as you'll get great performance for less money (Gamers Nexus has a good review on this too). The only thing with this cooler is it needs about 65mm headroom in the case and I can confirm that it will fit in the P600S as it's what I use. Some other cases might not have enough headroom.

About the memory, maybe for MSFS I don't need, And for sound/video editing?

About the case I need a case with one internal 5.25" bay. I don't know if these ones have.

3 hours ago, harpsi said:

About the case I need a case with one internal 5.25" bay. I don't know if these ones have.

The P600s doesn't have a 5.25" bay. Just multiple SSD and 3.5" HDD drives.

If you're doing very heavy video editing then maybe 64GB would be nice to have but otherwise 32GB would probably be enough. 

On 12/5/2020 at 6:26 PM, Tektolnes said:

A good power supply? I cannot find many of all those components in my country (Portugal), especially the RTX 3080 which is completely sold out.

Finding any of the current generation of video cards is an epic challenge. 

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I had a 3070 in my basket a couple of nights ago, but paying £650 for a card that was supposed to retail at £469 put me off.  (This was a mainstream supplier, not some form of bot scalper on ebay)

• Like 1

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

10 hours ago, harpsi said:

A good power supply? I cannot find many of all those components in my country (Portugal), especially the RTX 3080 which is completely sold out.

Those are bad times to build a new computer unless you really have a bad itch that needs a scratch and are willing to pay for it.

It's not just Portugal! 3080s, the new AMD 6000 cards and the new zen 5000 series processors are nowhere to be found and even if you do stumble across one  - it's bound to be overpriced. Nowhere near the MSRP. I believe it may take a couple of months until supply catches up with the overwhelming demand. Perhaps even more....

I'm in the same paradigm looking to replace my 6700k/1060 rig. 

15 hours ago, ha5mvo said:

Those are bad times to build a new computer unless you really have a bad itch that needs a scratch and are willing to pay for it.

It's not just Portugal! 3080s, the new AMD 6000 cards and the new zen 5000 series processors are nowhere to be found and even if you do stumble across one  - it's bound to be overpriced. Nowhere near the MSRP. I believe it may take a couple of months until supply catches up with the overwhelming demand. Perhaps even more....

I'm in the same paradigm looking to replace my 6700k/1060 rig. 

My only problem is the videocard. What is the best one available now?

There are YouTube performance reviews that indicates MSFS rarely exceeds 16 GB RAM but those are from dedicated computers just running the SIM and they aren't actually scientific studies due to inherent variables.  The last one I saw a couple of days ago slightly favored 32 GB.  It was interesting that when set up with 16 GB the RAM ran about 5 degrees hotter which indicates to me that the RAM was drawing more power which kept the FPS almost identical.  I highly suspect that  you couldn't tell the difference if you weren't watching the FPS counter.   The largest gap was flying an airliner over a city at night.   Other games may vary as would streaming while flying or doing any other tasks simultaneously.  

The cost of an extra set of RAM to increase to 32 is negligible so there not little reason not to go that high.  I've just concentrated on SIM reviews though.   As to editing.  I think it depends on what level we are talking about.  For large batch file professional editing there is no upper limits on resources you can use.  On the other hand I regularly follow a pilot who was making a month long motorcycle cross country trek this Summer.  He was filming from his phone and a drone and editing and posting from the phone when they were in cell range.  His whole TV rig fit into a small lunchbox size case.  You might want to search "How much RAM do I need?" on YouTube.  Lots of posts on the subject.  

MSFS still benefits more from single thread clock speed than cores and threads.  As a result most people still favor Intel.  Try looking at the i9-10850K.  It's 100 htz slower than the 900 which is basically within the margin of error and costs $100 less.  Good luck on finding a 5900X and a RTX 3080.  There are lots of i9 CPUs available.  

Sadly not a good time to build a new system you end up making do with what you can get and may regret it later next year.

• Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

22 hours ago, harpsi said:

My only problem is the videocard. What is the best one available now?

The “best” to date would probably be a 6800xt with 16G vram. Those are virtually impossible to find.

You might stumble upon a 3080. With its 10G vram it might become a bit tight in the future. 
Both cards would probably be quite above the recommended price given the supply/demand situation.

going for the top tier 6900xt or 3090 is bound costing you an arm and a leg.

At this time, if you can actually find one, a 6900XT or a RTX-3090 can cost just as much as the rest of a computer build, including a new monitor.  The current generation of video cards have reasonable MSRP's, but between slow production, the system building companies, virtual currency miners, and scalpers, the prices are between 2 and 3 times the MSRP. 

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.