Sign in to follow this  
Frank STY

RTX3090 and MFS2020

Hi all, 

I have RTX3090 installed in my machine. And i only got 20fps in 747 cockpit with ultra settings. It's weird. Before RTX3090, i used 2080super and got about 35fps with same settings. How to fix it. 

19 minutes ago, Frank STY said:

Hi all, 

I have RTX3090 installed in my machine. And i only got 20fps in 747 cockpit with ultra settings. It's weird. Before RTX3090, i used 2080super and got about 35fps with same settings. How to fix it. 

Need to provide a lot more info. Rig specs? Dev mode results? etc.?

• Upvote 1

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Also, try uninstalling the Video driver and installing a fresh set.

• Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

2 hours ago, RichieFly said:

Good tip.  He might also need to use a driver cleaner to do a totally fresh install.  I'm not even certain what's current these days.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I saw a pretty huge FPS jump going from a 2080 SC to a 3080 FTW3.

Something got messed up. Definitely get the latest Nvidia Game Ready drivers and make sure they are loading correctly. I find MSFS runs better after a fresh reboot and without lot's of other things open, like a big mess of Chrome/Firefox tabs.

Curious what your CPU and RAM are like and what resolution you are running, (1920x1080, 3840x2160, etc.)

If you have an older or weaker CPU and are running 1920x1080, the faster video card might not help much, you need a better CPU. But I wouldn't expect it to get slower, that's just not right.

17 hours ago, Dylanear said:

Curious what your CPU and RAM are like and what resolution you are running, (1920x1080, 3840x2160, etc.)

If you have an older or weaker CPU and are running 1920x1080, the faster video card might not help much, you need a better CPU. But I wouldn't expect it to get slower, that's just not right.

My CPU is i9-9900K with RAM 32GB and resolution is 2k 2560x1440. 

22 hours ago, RichieFly said:

I have the latest driver with 457.51. Maybe I should do a fresh installation.

Could it be bandwidth related? 

Not sure you are gonna see much difference in FPS using the same settings as that 280 Super but you should not see less!

Chris Camp

Happened to me when i went from a 1660ti to an RTX 3080, worse performance. Was pretty disturbing. But a lot of the graphics settings in the sim were changed and on top of that was then running higher resolution, and some nvidia control panel settings were different. It all added up. You just have to experiment. I think turning off a sync setting in nvidia did the most good. What works with one card might not work with another.

Edited by desbean
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, desbean said:

Happened to me when i went from a 1660ti to an RTX 3080, worse performance. Was pretty disturbing. But a lot of the graphics settings in the sim were changed and on top of that was then running higher resolution, and some nvidia control panel settings were different. It all added up. You just have to experiment. I think turning off a sync setting in nvidia did the most good. What works with one card might not work with another.

so how's your fps with RTX3080 now? I use the same Nvidia settings for both P3D V5.1 and MFS2020. There's big difference in fps.

Just now, Frank STY said:

so how's your fps with RTX3080 now? I use the same Nvidia settings for both P3D V5.1 and MFS2020. There's big difference in fps.

The FPD difference between  P3D V5.1 and MFS2020 is not really relevant they are totally different generations of sim.

HOWEVER what is significant is I get much more than 20 FPS in 2K Ultra with LOD, render scaling and supersampling turned up higher than ultra with just a rtx2060/32MB/i5 8400 in most aircraft at most non big city airfields.

Though a 747 holding short at O'Hare will see that plummet, as will multiplayer with a lot of people on the server at the same place and AI traffic and weather have an effect as well.

To be honest i suspect you have a genuine problem but to be sure you might need to post some exact location/aircraft/setting details and see if someone else who also has a 3090 is kind enough to test the same settings.

13 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The FPD difference between  P3D V5.1 and MFS2020 is not really relevant they are totally different generations of sim.

HOWEVER what is significant is I get much more than 20 FPS in 2K Ultra with LOD, render scaling and supersampling turned up higher than ultra with just a rtx2060/32MB/i5 8400 in most aircraft at most non big city airfields.

Though a 747 holding short at O'Hare will see that plummet, as will multiplayer with a lot of people on the server at the same place and AI traffic and weather have an effect as well.

To be honest i suspect you have a genuine problem but to be sure you might need to post some exact location/aircraft/setting details and see if someone else who also has a 3090 is kind enough to test the same settings.

Here's a screen shot from MFS2020 ( Flightbeam KDEN) with ultra settings.

CPU:i9-9900k RAM:32GB

SSD 1T for MFS2020 ONLY

ASUS RTX3090 TUF OC24GB

https://ibb.co/D7tghWK

9 minutes ago, Frank STY said:

Here's a screen shot from MFS2020 ( Flightbeam KDEN) with ultra settings.

CPU:i9-9900k RAM:32GB

SSD 1T for MFS2020 ONLY

ASUS RTX3090 TUF OC24GB

https://ibb.co/D7tghWK

Ok well not sure if it is significant, but in that particular screen shot it does say limited by "Main Thread" not GPU.

• Upvote 1