Sign in to follow this  
Josephpilot

Request code affinity mask

hi, guys I have an i7 9700k and as in the photo I see that my core 0, compared to the other 6, is exploited at 100%. I wanted to ask is there anyone nice who can tell me the number of the suitable affinity mask, considering that I have to use other programs? So I think I'm using the first 5 cores. Thank you very much, I am attaching photos.

FLcsP0Q.pngH9AXLC3.png

You're using all six cores. Why do you want to use fewer of them?

cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

8 minutes ago, Luke said:

You're using all six cores. Why do you want to use fewer of them?

cheers!

because if you see, core 0 is always 100, another core is about 40, is not balanced

It's P3D, it's never balanced.

Core 0 is the "main" core and is usually at or around 100% all the time. The other cores all help and their usage varies.

What you are seeing is normal.

Just now, iwebber said:

It's P3D, it's never balanced.

Core 0 is the "main" core and is usually at or around 100% all the time. The other cores all help and their usage varies.

What you are seeing is normal.

ok but is possibile that i run with perfomance 96%? and 75 celsius ?

4 minutes ago, Josephpilot said:

because if you see, core 0 is always 100, another core is about 40, is not balanced

You will not get balanced that how the CPU works a main core distributes the work load, Asobo explained this in one Q&A videos when asked the same question of MSFS.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

5 hours ago, Josephpilot said:

ok but is possibile that i run with perfomance 96%? and 75 celsius ?

You would have to turn on vsync OR limit frames via the in-sim limiter (or via external limiter).  This would keep your Core0 under 100% assuming you don't have maxxed settings otherwise.  I can't speak for your temperature goals as that depends on your cooler/case/many variables.

It's actually ideal to not peg Core0 at 100%, but now with v5 especially, it seems to handle 100% /overflow a lot better than v4 did.  Used to be, pegging Core0 would increase the chance of a stutter, but now with v5 the program seems to be pushing these tasks to an overflow core, making the sim really smooth.  I'm not privy to the inner workings of what they have done, but I know what I see in the sim with v5.  You can see it if you compare core usage in v4.5 vs. v5.   Now in v5 for those who run without a frame limiter (i.e. Core0 maxxed) they can get smoother flight.

If you run a frame limiter/vsync ON and you're still getting Core0 at 100%, then your settings are too high for your hardware / your frame limit is still too high for your hardware.  You didn't really tell us enough about your settings (do you run a limiter/vsync on? refresh rate?) to comment in any more detail.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

As others have said, this is how P3D works. You are probably thinking "My Core 0 runs at 100%, while the other cores run at almost idle, so it must mean that P3D relinquishes a lot of FPS. I want to get them back by making other cores busy." 

Keep in mind that you see this situation usually when you load a complex airplane/airport and don't fly yet. As soon as you take off and fly over complex scenery, you will see other cores running high. I have a 6-core 12-thread CPU, and when I am flying mid-air in P3Dv4, I see all cores being taxed - not necessarily to 100%, it fluctuates actually, but they are much more busy than when you are on ground. You will see the same behavior with MSFS, except that this simulator actually uses only the first four threads/cores on my system primarily, while the others sit idle. So P3D does the job well in comparison.

As far as 100% and core 0, why would you want to peg core 0 to less than 100%?  If core 0 runs at 100%, it means that the CPU delivers maximum performance. If you limit the FPS internally, you won't reduce the CPU load on core 0, because P3D will increase the fiber frame time fraction - in other words, it will simply work harder on scenery rendering. You could limit the FPS externally to reduce the load, but again, why would you want to do that?  A 100% core 0 doesn't necessarily cause stutters. (Yes, the FPS fluctuates, but that's because of different different loads in a scenario).

14 hours ago, Josephpilot said:

hi, guys I have an i7 9700k and as in the photo I see that my core 0, compared to the other 6, is exploited at 100%. I wanted to ask is there anyone nice who can tell me the number of the suitable affinity mask, considering that I have to use other programs? So I think I'm using the first 5 cores. Thank you very much, I am attaching photos.

FLcsP0Q.png

I warmly suggest to forget about those "placebo" of AM. If you are struggling from constant stutters of the SIM you should try instead to switch off HT what you have done already as it seems, and overclock your CPU to the 4 or 4,5 GHZ. Set the VSync in P3D to on and the FPS to unlimited. Then you limit the FPS to 30 in the NVIDIA control panel. And bear in mind that if your SIM is running smooth in general, why even think about the Myths about core balanceing. That´s just not how it´s matters in therms of the physical and technical background of processor architecture and logic.😉

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

I no longer use affinity mask in 5.1 HF1 and also have an i79700K cpu @ 5.0 GHz. P3D5 can handle cores itself. 

Good cooling can be achieved with a vaio liquid cooler. As easy to mount as an air cooler and not much more expensive.

The causes for stutters on my system are mainly the system searching for textures. This can be due to missing textures, missing texture.cfg which point at the textures elsewhere and maybe further reason I don't know yet.

I run procmon and stop recording after a stutter and check which files are missing.  I have areas completely stutter free and others with severe stutters. So it is really a local problem not a general one like a core running on the limit. I suspect not every addon can be installed outside of the sim.

Dan

• Upvote 1

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

9 hours ago, Afterburner said:

As others have said, this is how P3D works. You are probably thinking "My Core 0 runs at 100%, while the other cores run at almost idle, so it must mean that P3D relinquishes a lot of FPS. I want to get them back by making other cores busy." 

Keep in mind that you see this situation usually when you load a complex airplane/airport and don't fly yet. As soon as you take off and fly over complex scenery, you will see other cores running high. I have a 6-core 12-thread CPU, and when I am flying mid-air in P3Dv4, I see all cores being taxed - not necessarily to 100%, it fluctuates actually, but they are much more busy than when you are on ground. You will see the same behavior with MSFS, except that this simulator actually uses only the first four threads/cores on my system primarily, while the others sit idle. So P3D does the job well in comparison.

As far as 100% and core 0, why would you want to peg core 0 to less than 100%?  If core 0 runs at 100%, it means that the CPU delivers maximum performance. If you limit the FPS internally, you won't reduce the CPU load on core 0, because P3D will increase the fiber frame time fraction - in other words, it will simply work harder on scenery rendering. You could limit the FPS externally to reduce the load, but again, why would you want to do that?  A 100% core 0 doesn't necessarily cause stutters. (Yes, the FPS fluctuates, but that's because of different different loads in a scenario).

ok thx you!

7 hours ago, BerndB said:

I warmly suggest to forget about those "placebo" of AM. If you are struggling from constant stutters of the SIM you should try instead to switch off HT what you have done already as it seems, and overclock your CPU to the 4 or 4,5 GHZ. Set the VSync in P3D to on and the FPS to unlimited. Then you limit the FPS to 30 in the NVIDIA control panel. And bear in mind that if your SIM is running smooth in general, why even think about the Myths about core balanceing. That´s just not how it´s matters in therms of the physical and technical background of processor architecture and logic.😉

oh, thx you man, i oc on 4 ghz

7 hours ago, BerndB said:

my cpu when i runng p3d, go n 4,60 ghz active.