Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Feel Good Movies...

I don't have Netflix.  I don't have a smart TV so I can't stream or get anything but what my cable company serves me.  I don't have any pay for movie channels either like HBO.  Turner Classic Movies, BBC, and National Geographic channels service my needs.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

15 hours ago, Fielder said:

My Giraffe Teacher by Rebbe Shaul Deutsch

I had to look that up. Very interesting approach!:cool: 

..yet Netflix decided that giving Cuties air time was a good idea.. smh.. :dry:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Try The Queen's Gambit. My kind of woman......

Edited by W2DR
kant spel

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Three of my favorite « feel good » American movies off my head :

Curtiz Casablanca. Bergman and Bogart are sublime and  the  Marseillaise pinches my heart everytime I watch it.

Hitchcock’s The Trouble With Harry, a light-hearted mystery with a great cast in beautiful Vermont

Lucas American Graffiti, Wolfman, the Blonde in the Thunderbird, the music, again wonderful actors.  The best coming-of-age movie I know.

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Great double feature on Turner Classic Movies.  The two Hepburns, Audrey and Katharine.  Sabrina followed by The African Queen.

Audrey Hepburn was a Belgian born Audrey Ruston.  Her father changed her name when she started ballerina training because it sounded more high class.  She began acting in England.  

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Early memories of mine from way back in the early 1950s was watching my uncle getting ready to go out on the town on a Saturday evening. The tie was on and while the hair was being Brylcreemed, the wind up gramophone  was playing a 78rpm record of Doris Day singing "Secret Love" (I think "The Deadwood Stage" was on the other side). So the movie Calamity Jane has always held a nostalgic memory for me. I've got the DVD in the cupboard and give it a spin now and again for old times sake.

Cheers...Derek

Welcome to AVSIM Derek! Or should I say Wullie??

Your first post.🍻

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Welcome to the forum(s) Derek.........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Thanks for the welcome Mark and Doug. Been lurking around here for quite a while now but never posted before. Recognise a few members from the Orbx Forums.

Derek

• Like 1

The movie I've seen the most often is Dr. Mabuse the Gambler. I think it's 4 hours long. I've never seen anything else like it.

All of these silents directed by Fritz Lang with screenplay by his wife Thea Von Harbou:

Dr. Mabuse the Gambler 1922

Die Nibelungen Siegfried 1924

Die Nibelungen Kriemheld's Revenge 1924

Metropolis 1927

M 1931

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

for 'feelgood' it's the Crosby Hope road pictures: every one of them!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I dug one out of my collection last night that I hadn't seen in ages. "The Red Shoes". A 1948 classic about an aspiring ballet dancer. Even if you think you "hate ballet", you need to see Moira Shearer in this movie..you just might change your mind.

I agree.  I watch The Red Shoes every time it comes up.  I think I've seen it twice this year.  It has the longest dance scene I have ever seen in a movie.  I imagine it was done with several takes but think of the athletic ability it would take a dancer to do that on the stage.

I don't know if you recall Lynn Swann, the wide receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers.  He was beautiful to watch.  He took ballet lessons during the off season and it showed on the field. 

Noel

Sure I remember Lynn Swann. Who can ever forget The Catch in Super Bowl 10.

Here's a fun one for the movie fans. Go here   https://www.afi.com/afis-100-years-100-movie-quotes/   and see how many of these famous quotes from the movies you've actually seen (not just heard of).

• Like 1