Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Feel Good Movies...

Maybe we can do that, Doug, when the pandemic is over.  Let's think about it.

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

On 1/5/2021 at 7:55 AM, birdguy said:

If you grew up in an old neighborhood in a large city you probably can.  The micro scene may have changed like the store names or the paint on the buildings.  But on the macro scale it's still the same neighborhood.  And if you can walk through it and share it with one of your children it becomes a cherished memory for both of you.

My daughter now knows where I grew up and what I did as a kid.  She had read those stories I wrote about growing up on Larkin Street with my brother.  Walking through the neighborhood put meat on those bones.

Noel

I definitely agree.

I grew up in San Francisco (1974-1986). I remeber the Alhambra theatre and also the Cornet. My neighborhood was the Inner Sunset around 9th and Irving.

IMG-0950.jpg

These 1 hour free parking signs at the old Park N Shop (now Andronico's) were apparently just taken down within the last year. People had a hard time figuring out how to get through to the phone number listed on the sign.

As a feel good movie I'll pick Never Cry Wolf (1983). I remember seeing it with my Dad at the tiny living room size Cannery theatre. Great bush plane scenes with Brian Dennehy.

Edited by charliearon
op request spelling error fix
  • Like 1

I don't know why that would be. After all, the KLondike exchange designation in San Francisco didn't go away until 1963 🙂 .  Or, maybe for some strange reason, they chose to show the 553 prefix that way. I guess we'll never know. 

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I think this is one of the best threads on Avsim

• Upvote 1

On 1/6/2021 at 10:33 PM, birdguy said:

Maybe we can do that, Doug, when the pandemic is over.  Let's think about it.

Noel

I'd love to Noel. But, at my age, trips across the country (I live in Florida) are becoming more problematic. The wife and I used to go to California a couple of times a year for our remember-the-old-days-see-the-kids-and- check -the property- fix but the trips now are few and far between. We owned property there for many years but it's all been sold now. Our parents are gone, and our kids no longer live there. Not a lot of reasons to go back anymore. We've been talking, though, about one more "grand tour". If we ever pull that off you'll be the first to know. Stay safe.....Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Not exactly a feel good movie but a thought provoking one.  Cabaret.  I watched it on TCM last night.

I like Liza  Minelli's singing and Joel Grey plays a great part.

I think of all these people partying away not realizing what is going on around them or what is in store for them.

There is one song that I think says it all.

I am the old fisherman you get a couple of glimpses of dressed in black and wearing a black hat.  He's aware.

Noel

Edited by birdguy

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

That boy had a lovely voice but that song; not so much lovely about it... :nangis: 

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It's strange how things pop into your memory. I've always been a big Cabaret fan. On a trip to Germany a couple of years ago we went to the prison camp at Dachau. As I stood in the gas chamber there that song was running through my mind. I'll never forget that experience. Even at age 78 it was a life-changer.