Sign in to follow this  

Blast from the past

funny reading all the posts where people are whining about not buying FSX since they can't afford a "monster system".So for grins and giggles I when out to the garage and found my FS98 and FS2k CD'sFS98 was a whopping 100mb install and took a whole 2min 25.2 sec to install. Downside it won't allow me to use my Cougar even though it shows up in the controllers tab. I remember this sim with the eeric Earnst panel in a AA 767 bringing my old PC to it's knees. Yum Yum Yum said the new PC!Then I loaded up FS2K remember what a dog slow resource hog this thing was when it was knew. all I remember after it's release is massive #### on the boards. FS2K2 was such a relief after this pig. Install time 5 min 37.5 sec. first flight Miegs full everything at night 88FPS. Next up O'hare night B777. New computer CHOMP chew chew chew ptooie(spit) 70FPS no problem.Funny how we forgot the limited add ons and even more limited stock items in each sim. FS-98 only had one color scheme per aircraft. I'm sure some of you were around before FS98. Still it's pretty cool how we've gone from a 1CD install and 16bit graphics to 2 DVD's and a whole myriad of add ons. The quality of the MSFS aircraft alone is amazing in FSX compared to what was before. 8 years and a whole different world.The most amazing thing is what going to happen in the next year. FSX in the hands of the developers that gave us the add ons we had in FS9 is going to be increadible. Right now most of them are trying to keep customer and users(freeware)happy by updating FS9 products. Looking at what they were able to do with DX9 and XP the potential of FSX Vista and DX10 is awesome. I can't wait to see the LDS 767/757 and the PSS777 under FSX.To me the future of flight sims is indeed bright.

Snowfalcon13 KRTS Reno, NV. The Valley of Speed/PMDG Beta Test Team

Windows 10 64 Pro/AMD Ryzen 3700X 8 core 3.5GHZ, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M2 Cdrive, 1TB SSD D Drive, P3D V4.5/P3D V5 HF2

32 GB  DDR 3200 RAM/Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB

"Then I loaded up FS2K remember what a dog slow resource hog this thing was when it was knew"It remained a dog, and most people hated it ....

Just as fsx will. I'm not sure why people keep spewing this 'things will be better when the patch arrives' nonsense. There will be no patch just as there was no patch for fs2k and its performance issues. It's time to accept the fact that fsx will always run slow. What it lacks in performance it makes up for in other attributes though so all is not lost. I just wish people would stop thinking that some kind of 'miracle' patch is otw because regardless of what you think, this is simply just not the case.

Guest victorwest

>Just as fsx will. I'm not sure why people keep spewing this>'things will be better when the patch arrives' nonsense. There>will be no patch just as there was no patch for fs2k and its>performance issues. Well, come mid next year, I guarantee that one FSX "group" will be able to tell the other "We told you so"! :-)

It runs mostly decent for me too as long as I'm not in a city. I still say there will be no patch. Call it a hunch based on past experience. :)DX10 patch is all there will be because they ARE obligated to release that one. A performance patch will never come and by performance patch I don't mean something that removes options to make it seem like performance has increased. A performance patch must be something that optimizes the code AS IS to run MUCH more efficiently. This will never come I'm sorry to say. If by the off chance they do release a patch that increases frame rates by a minimum of 50% where they need to be then I will eat my humble pie and beg forgiveness from the avsim crowd. I'm not too worried about that happening though based on sales figures and past experience. :)

Guest cwojackson

Yep, this reminds me of when FS2004 was released. I had just retired and decided to try it out. I had a relatively new high end system that ran CAD programs without hesitation...it wouldn't run FS2004 anywhere near maxed out. It took much tweaking, compromise on slider settings and hardware upgrades to get FS2004 running maxed out. After a couple of years of tweaking, multiple addons, more hardware upgrades FS2004 is a great program.So far my experience with FSX isn't any different. I have a one year old high end system and get decent, but not great, performance from FSX. I am disappointed that FSX doesn't use my dual processors or SLI but overall I'm very pleased. Even at it's current capabilities on my system FSX is a nice step upward and has regulated FS2004 to simply being used for transitioning aircraft, panels and AFCAD files into FSX.I have no doubt that it will only get better.

>Yep, this reminds me of when FS2004 was released. I had just>retired and decided to try it out. I had a relatively new high>end system that ran CAD programs without hesitation...it>wouldn't run FS2004 anywhere near maxed out. It took much>tweaking, compromise on slider settings and hardware upgrades>to get FS2004 running maxed out. After a couple of years of>tweaking, multiple addons, more hardware upgrades FS2004 is a>great program.>>So far my experience with FSX isn't any different. I have a>one year old high end system and get decent, but not great,>performance from FSX. I am disappointed that FSX doesn't use>my dual processors or SLI but overall I'm very pleased. Even>at it's current capabilities on my system FSX is a nice step>upward and has regulated FS2004 to simply being used for>transitioning aircraft, panels and AFCAD files into FSX.>>I have no doubt that it will only get better.Yep, I agree with that. If it weren't for the flightscenery portland addon I would never even fire up FS9 again. It's just hilarious when I read about this mythical 'patch' that's supposed to cure everyone's performance ills. I wonder why on earth they think this will ever come?? It never came before in any other version of the sim so I'm not sure why they think it's coming now for this version. The only problem I see with this sim compared to previous generations is that the previous sims WERE designed to run on future hardware, whereas this one really isn't since it doesn't take advantage of the technology that future hardware trends are taking us, at least in its current state. Keep waiting for that patch though because it's going to be here ANY day now...You guys crack me up! :)

Adam Szofran (sp?) did post there would be a performance patch within the next few months. Maybe he was incorrect though and confused it with the DX10 update. I haven't seen any other details though it was stated more info would be available after the American Thanksgiving holiday.Ian.

Guest FxF3

Yep seems each new version of FS can tax your computer when it first comes out. Still FSX does pretty well on my old computer. I use the sliders seems like ACES put them there for a reason.:) Like you I think the future of Flight Sims is bright. Its getting hard for post like this not to get locked though because a few poster have learned they can get any postive post locked if they come in and stir the thread up.

The future of "flight sim" is bright, but the frustration is at an all time high too. A four to five year wait for a significant and actual working upgrade is almost unacceptable. Especialy when frame rates have always been "the issue".The days of "easy pickens" for game developers with "high level and high overhead" languages and programming simplicity is clearly over. I think many of them are having a hard time accepting that as a fact.I believe Aces did not want to accept this fact for FSX, and they got burned. Claiming to not know about 64 bit, SLI, and multiple cores is just an excuse for bad judgements made by their top management planners. Everyone else in the world knew about them and expected support after such a long period with no upgrades. This is where the real frustration lies.While I have been a little disappointed with previous releases, I must say I've never been pi$$ed like with this time. Thats because my copy remains on the shelf awaiting a machine and operating system it will run on.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)

>DX10 patch is all there will be because they ARE obligated to>release that one. Well, that's what everyone thought you meant, astrodave. We all thought you meant there would be no DX10 patch.I don't know what you're talking about with this "performance patch" stuff. You know something I don't?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>>>DX10 patch is all there will be because they ARE obligated>to>>release that one. >>Well, that's what everyone thought you meant, astrodave. We>all thought you meant there would be no DX10 patch.>>I don't know what you're talking about with this "performance>patch" stuff. You know something I don't?>>Rhett>>AMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS>A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig>7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster PraetorianThat's why I laugh when I read someone say that there will be a performance patch released. I'm assuming they mean a real performance patch and not a dx10 patch since that will only apply to those of us who have adopted an 8800 card and vista already. In my eyes a performance patch is not the same as a dx10 patch. Maybe when I read these claims of an all-saving-grace performance patch they are actually referring to the dx10 patch but referring to it in the wrong manner?

Guest FxF3

I'm just glad FSX works well on my computer.`

Works wonderfully for bush flying but it would be ohh so nice to be able to fly that chopper around new york city with a solid 20fps :) That new justflight schweizer 300 is a dream to fly and no visible loss in fps. I don't even want to fly fixed wings anymore! I'm slowly but surely being converted to a rotorhead.