Sign in to follow this  
andreh

v5.1 VR performance tips?

Hi,

New to v5 from v4.5 and I have trouble getting the same kind of performance in VR in v5 as I had in v4.5 which was very smooth even with my ageing 1070. Any performance tips anyone has would be appreciated. I have done some testing but have not managed to find anything that significantly improves performance. FPS in P3D itself is, if anything, slightly higher in v5 than in v4.5, yet it is not smooth at all in VR.

System:
6700k @4.5hz
GTX 1070
Rift S

P3D settings are relatively modest. Medium LOD, Tesselation, mesh, textures, normal autogen, all shadow casting (except internal) and reflections off

It seems v5 doesn't like Oculus. It's stuttering a lot no matter what setting. It's considerably smoother in Steam VR so I'm using that. Same settings (relatively modest settings) as in v4.5 which is smooth. EA on or off doesn't seem to matter. I ran OTT @ 1.5 in 4.5 with no problem. Since Oculus is not working well if anyone has any tips on how to set up SteamVR, I'd appreciate that.

thanks

Edited by andreh

4 hours ago, andreh said:

Hi,

New to v5 from v4.5 and I have trouble getting the same kind of performance in VR in v5 as I had in v4.5 which was very smooth even with my ageing 1070. Any performance tips anyone has would be appreciated. I have done some testing but have not managed to find anything that significantly improves performance. FPS in P3D itself is, if anything, slightly higher in v5 than in v4.5, yet it is not smooth at all in VR.

System:
6700k @4.5hz
GTX 1070
Rift S

P3D settings are relatively modest. Medium LOD, Tesselation, mesh, textures, normal autogen, all shadow casting (except internal) and reflections off

It seems v5 doesn't like Oculus. It's stuttering a lot no matter what setting. It's considerably smoother in Steam VR so I'm using that. Same settings (relatively modest settings) as in v4.5 which is smooth. EA on or off doesn't seem to matter. I ran OTT @ 1.5 in 4.5 with no problem. Since Oculus is not working well if anyone has any tips on how to set up SteamVR, I'd appreciate that.

thanks

Have a read of this forum it has a few tips towards the end. Your VR performance should at least be the same. There are a lot of different possibilities like wrong settings/old drivers etc that could degrade performance so there might not be a quick answer.

Edited by glider1

1 hour ago, glider1 said:

Have a read of this forum it has a few tips towards the end. Your VR performance should at least be the same. There are a lot of different possibilities like wrong settings/old drivers etc that could degrade performance so there might not be a quick answer.

Thanks. I've read it already and got from it that Oculus isn't working very well and SteamVR is better. And it is, just not as good as v4.5. I'll keep looking.

Bumping this just to inform people may have trouble getting rid of the severe stuttering in VR with Oculus headsets that it has something to do with the Oculus runtime and P3Dv5 itself. The solution is to use SteamVR. Besides the occasional jitter, I've managed to get it completely smooth by running it through SteamVR instead and running OTT with supersampling and the approriate ASW setting in the background. Happy flying.

• Like 1

Use Steam VR latest Beta. Turn on Dynamic Texture Loading. Limit frame rate in P3D to 28 and set OTT to 30fps, set NCP to pre-rendered VR frames=3, vSync=FAST, and once you are in the plane and running, start Task Manager and in Details -> Prepar3d.exe -> Affinity switch off CPU 0, press OK, then switch it back on again to unstick any maxed-out load on the first core and allow proper rebalancing across all cores. Turn Autogen Buildings / Trees and Scenery Complexity right down and see how smooth you can get it. It should be like butter. Then start cranking them up step by step until you hit whatever limit your scenery allows. Once you overdo it you will start stuttering.

Edited by redshift27
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you use WMR for VR pls to add "+1" only or more 😉 for option PRE RENDER sync for VR Reverb/Odyssey ect. in this topic:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=140551

Its possible to force to work it in P3Dv5 (and its a best tweak for VR!!!), now it doesnt work in P3Dv5 with current NVidia drivers. LM does nothing with this still 😞 .....

Maybe when they see there's more of us, they'll do something about it.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

7 minutes ago, YoYo said:

LM does nothing with this still 😞 .....

I wrote with the responsible Dev directly. This isn´t supported by WMR anymore. It actually never was, but it did work somehow. Since WMR pushed out updates a few weeks/months ago, this is now not going to work anymore.

LM can not do anything about this. The API does not allow it.

That´s why they implemented the "Update" mode in VR Settings panel. This is the current one and only working render mode for WMR.

A bit sad but it´s the way WMR works.

Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Upvote 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

10 hours ago, mpo910 said:

I wrote with the responsible Dev directly. This isn´t supported by WMR anymore. It actually never was, but it did work somehow. Since WMR pushed out updates a few weeks/months ago, this is now not going to work anymore.

LM can not do anything about this. The API does not allow it.

That´s why they implemented the "Update" mode in VR Settings panel. This is the current one and only working render mode for WMR.

A bit sad but it´s the way WMR works.

Marcus

Pity .... it worked so its strange. So LM could talk with NVidia about to implemet this feature again it the one driver let to work this option.

btw. this is interesting story: https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=141764&p=238160#p237669 I notice it very often.

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

On 4/1/2021 at 11:48 PM, YoYo said:

Pity .... it worked so its strange. So LM could talk with NVidia about to implemet this feature again it the one driver let to work this option.

btw. this is interesting story: https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=141764&p=238160#p237669 I notice it very often.

Hi YoYo. I see this issue also. I´ve reported this back too v5.0 already like you did too.

I now have opened a new ticket by myself in the developer section (only for BETA testers) and linked your ticket to it. I did make some further explanations and also mentioned some airports where this happens.

Now we have to wait and see if this is getting fixed.

Marcus  

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

29 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Hi YoYo. I see this issue also. I´ve reported this back too v5.0 already like you did too.

I now have opened a new ticket by myself in the developer section (only for BETA testers) and linked your ticket to it. I did make some further explanations and also mentioned some airports where this happens.

Now we have to wait and see if this is getting fixed.

Marcus  

Thx! 😄

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

2 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Thx! 😄

Your welcome! I appreciate it very much that you always post at the right locations! That´s a huge help and hopefully we benefit! 

I also mentioned your finding about changing shader entries (with other negative side effects). Maybe that helped sorting it out.

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

2 hours ago, mpo910 said:

Your welcome! I appreciate it very much that you always post at the right locations! That´s a huge help and hopefully we benefit! 

I also mentioned your finding about changing shader entries (with other negative side effects). Maybe that helped sorting it out.

Marcus

Do you need for this lacation, I can give examples but.... its on any lacation outside of apron and runway, the same with water - each part of the World :).

Its very visible from ground level, close to the edge of the airport when you look to grass or along a shoreline with water.

Edited by YoYo
  • Upvote 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

On 4/3/2021 at 3:49 PM, mpo910 said:

I see this issue also...

Btw. if You have a contact with LM, pls ask him about this issue with Ultra Water and Sync problem (Motion Reprojection issue on Ultra water only, WMR). You know this I think. Its a strange too. I fly with High water settings now but the ultra looks a lot better in VR. Now I cant use it (but before November 2020 it was possible without issue). The picture with Ultra water its jittery a lot, no this issue on below Ultra settings.

Btw.2 I think I must reinstall P3Dv5. After some of Windows 10 update (maybe) I noticed new stutter in VR, every few minutes (like loading someting in the background). I installed only new update of REX Sky Force P3Dv5 last time and W10 updates. Hard to tell me where is a problem. In IL-2 or DCS is fine.

Edited by YoYo
  • Upvote 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

5 hours ago, YoYo said:

Btw. if You have a contact with LM, pls ask him about this issue with Ultra Water and Sync problem (Motion Reprojection issue on Ultra water only, WMR). You know this I think. Its a strange too. I fly with High water settings now but the ultra looks a lot better in VR. Now I cant use it (but before November 2020 it was possible without issue). The picture with Ultra water its jittery a lot, no this issue on below Ultra settings.

Btw.2 I think I must reinstall P3Dv5. After some of Windows 10 update (maybe) I noticed new stutter in VR, every few minutes (like loading someting in the background). I installed only new update of REX Sky Force P3Dv5 last time and W10 updates. Hard to tell me where is a problem. In IL-2 or DCS is fine.

I know this....indeed. 

But please post yourself also at LM. That's really important. You are all users. They will read your posts.

Thx

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

No problem.

• Upvote 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif