For a few years now I have been using Logitech Pro Flight Rudder Pedals and have never been really happy with them and, despite hours of experimentation over that period, the input sensitivity is either too little of too much. So I decided to start looking around to invest in a more expensive set of pedals with hopefully a much more realistic response, similar to what I remember from my private flying days. 

Somewhat naturally I quickly found myself checking out Virtual Fly's Ruddo rudder pedals, which I am sure is an excellent unit, but the EUR 895 + airfreight price tag was a bit too frightening for me. So after a bit more investigation I came across a set of rudder pedals called MFG Crosswind and then found a review by Dslyecxi, a legend in Arma 3 helicopter flying, where in the sub title he stated 'A review of the best word not allowed rudder pedals I've ever owned'. https://youtu.be/xh_5keOriIo

With a price of about half of the Ruddo pedals at EUR 450 + airfreight and after viewing Dslyecxi's review, I decided to take the chance and purchase the MFG Crosswind pedals. The package arrived a few days ago and have been using them constantly since then and any problems I had previously have now completely disappeared, the response now is not only near perfect, but there are endless options for adjustment both in hardware and software, though I have not had to use any of those features, I just assembled the unit, plug it in and ran a simple configuration program.

The reason for adding this topic is not only to share how impressed I am with these new rudder pedals, but also to make the community aware of this alternative, as I could not find any mention of this hardware option in any of the flight sim sites I regularly visit

• Like 2

I recall reading a few reviews out there comparing the Crosswinds with the similar price range Logitech Pendulars and the Crosswinds seem to be very well received, though I cannot find the comparison reviews anymore.

I was a user of the Saitek-Pedals for years ( of only few flight-simulating ).

In July i decided to build up a set of FFB-Devices, based on the boards and software of Ian Hopper ( BFFSimulation ).

I had the idea of using the Thrustmaster-Pendular-Pedals as a base for my FFB-set, bought them in August and never regretted this.

Very precise, adjustable in many ways, rock-solid metal frame and levers !

2 weeks ago, i finished the FFB-project, motorized the totaly unchanged Thrustmasters from behind by a Lichuan-servo-Motor and a chain-driven gear.

Until now, i am totaly flashed by the flawless working system: There is no loose in the system, and the layout is made for forces up to 200N.  When applying ground-roll-vibrations, the quality of the effects are comparable to my Fanatec-equipment, used for sim-racing.

The complete system rudder-pedals/FFB-drive costs me roundabout 60% of the brunner FFB-Pedals. If anyone is interested, there will be part-kits available.

Regards

SloMo

Edited by SloMo
Additions...

If you want the best Rudders in the £400-500 range.

TM TPR

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tpr-thrustmaster-pendular-rudder

Watch the reviews on you tube. I have them and I cannot recommend them more highly. A case of you get what you pay for. 

One review from a Crosswind owner.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I've always been happy with my Saitek pedals, though one of the brake springs has now snapped off.  My main problem has been the height of my desk and that pedals are not too comfortable with my knees up under the desk. Oddly, the broken spring has not been much of an issue as when I release the brakes, my heals go back to the pedal seats and the switch releases.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Amazon (USA) has the TM pendulars available immediately $570. Sold direct by Amazon, not a 3rd party seller.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

3 hours ago, chrisblewitt said:

I could not find any mention of this hardware option in any of the flight sim sites I regularly visit

😎

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

What can be made out of the TM TPR:

1-Rudder-CAD.jpg

2-Rudder-Parts.jpg

3-Rudder-FFB.jpg

4-Rudder-komplett.jpg

Just add those, to complete the rig:

5-Yoke-CAD.jpg

6-Yoke-Parts.jpg

7-Yoke-open.jpg

8-Yoke-closed.jpg

9-Rig.jpg

The Yoke-Handle is made of 30mm stainless-steel-tube, and can be changed. I just added 2x3 switches on top.  The gaps in the front plate give me/you the chance, to add individual layouts of switches/toggles without design-changes of the metal-parts.

Strokes and forces are comparable to the greater Brunner-Yoke, and the weight of the Yoke is 18 kg.....

As mentioned above, i have some parts-kits available, because i decided, not to use my CNC-milling-machine to build up only one prototype/system for me. Instead of that, i ordered laser-cutted and bended parts from supplier nearby.  I had to take 3-4 sets of those parts, but maybe, someone else is interested.  The complete price of the FFB-set will probably be between a Yoko-Yoke, which in my opinion is a huge amount of money for fighting against some rubber ropes furthermore, and the Brunner-set, which was out of my range.

( Of course, i spent at least the same amount of money because of the remaining parts, not to mention the amount of time to make the design and build-up, but i see this as a kind of invest....  😇 )

I will test my equipment some more days, and then i will give more information about the costs and sources for the needed parts. 

Regards  

SloMo

@ FFB from BFFSimulation works great with FSUIPC7.  Beside flying MFS, i made a new installation of P3D v4, just to fly the DC3 with FFB:  It is absolutely great, a dream become true, and trying to fly without propper trimming might replace other sport....  💪

Edited by SloMo

I use VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS, they are affordable and very good quality, the only downside is that they have no brake function, but I can live with that when I use my Joysticks trigger button for brake.

https://flightsimcontrols.com/product/vkb-sim-t-rudder-pedals-mk-iv-2/

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |