Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Microsoft Flight Simulator at NVIDIA's CES 2021 conference

Just saw this at NVIDIA's CES 2021 conference, showcasing the simulator running on the RTX 3080 Mobile on a laptop. Go to 39:24.

I don't know how good the current state of multiple screen functionality is right now. Could anyone comment?

Have to say though, it was disappointing to see the coastline and morphing glitches being extremely obvious.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty
  • Like 2

It looks like a regular nVidia surround setup on 3 monitors, which is supported also now if you can live with the increased stutters due to *much* larger image to be rendered, and with stretched textures on side monitors (stretched textures are evident, for example if you go to 40:36 and look the right-side monitor). I read somewhere how to get rid of stretched textures, but never tried if the trick really works. This needs to be improved a lot, before it can be really used (personal opinion of course).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lucianon said:

It looks like a regular nVidia surround setup on 3 monitors, which is supported also now if you can live with the increased stutters due to *much* larger image to be rendered, and with stretched textures on side monitors (stretched textures are evident, for example if you go to 40:36 and look the right-side monitor). I read somewhere how to get rid of stretched textures, but never tried if the trick really works. This needs to be improved a lot, before it can be really used (personal opinion of course).

So it's nothing new I guess, and besides there is plenty of evidence that this footage is from the current build. Thanks for the information. I'll proceed to change the thread's title.

Nvidia was showing blurry textures (feeled like 2 meters per pixel) and low poly mountains, plus the bridge texture moved down the mountain. These are of course known and common issues for satellite imaginery, but still the edged water lines, the flat trees sitting on the texture made me laugh.

They could have shown better scenes, I think Nvidia was doing it on purpose.

Anyway if they did or did not, it was really funny.

50 minutes ago, BigDee said:

I think Nvidia was doing it on purpose.

That makes zero sense. They're showing off how powerful the card is.

Proper multi monitor support is announced for 2021-2022, so this nVidia video is on the verge of false advertising. If you attempt to set the side displays at an angle you will end with heavily distorted perspective.

3 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Have to say though, it was disappointing to see the coastline and morphing glitches being extremely obvious.

I don’t like or want to sound like a pessimist, but, I have a feeling the morphing is here to stay. 

• Like 1

On another note, I wonder what kinda monitors / TV screens they are, I wouldn’t mine a setup like that. 

6 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I don’t like or want to sound like a pessimist, but, I have a feeling the morphing is here to stay. 

Given this nasty morphing has been with us from Prepar3d1-5, despite numerous user flaks over the years (and probably even FSX, which I don't exactly recall in detail), I am afraid you may be right. Even more, I am afraid, Asobo is hesitant to add very high-resolution mesh as it would exponentiate it.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 3

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

A big nothing burger.

I spoke to my nephew who works for NVidia in San Jose about why I can't find a 3080 or a 3090 anywhere since it was announced and he told me, that's its flying off the shelf.  I don't think even he knows its a big vaporware that NVidia is pushing.

Edited by Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

33 minutes ago, Steku said:

so this nVidia video is on the verge of false advertising.

It's no where near false advertising. You can see the distortion in the video.

12 minutes ago, Manny said:

I don't think even he knows its a big vaporware that NVidia is pushing.

It's not vaporware, it's in high demand (and low supply) because of covid.

Also that's not what vaporware means, If it was vaporware there would be zero cards in existence.

Edited by Tuskin38

Just since a few people have touched on it but it hasn't really been explicitly stated - both nVIDIA and AMD have features in their drivers that allow multiple screens to be presented to the sim (or any other program) as one "screen".

That's all that is being shown here. 

Having one large screen and setting the FOV wide causes distortion of the views/textures in the screens on the left and the right, due to the large FOV.  True multi monitor support would eliminate that.

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

47 minutes ago, Manny said:

A big nothing burger.

I spoke to my nephew who works for NVidia in San Jose about why I can't find a 3080 or a 3090 anywhere since it was announced and he told me, that's its flying off the shelf.  I don't think even he knows its a big vaporware that NVidia is pushing.

I guess this counts into that category too? Not to mention they can literally take off.

2021-01-05-image-4-j.webp

Is that rig a next level racing platform that goes for about $3k ?  What is the display setup they are using?

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

3 minutes ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Is that rig a next level racing platform that goes for about $3k ?  What is the display setup they are using?

I too would like to know....

• Like 1