Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

Flying the NEO

Is it just me, or do others have a crazy amount of time trying to fly this aircraft.  It's got a mind of its own and I'm along for the roller coaster of a ride, until it crashes.

I've figured out how to use the two Boeing airliners, but the NEO has me stumped.  Every time I think I have something figured out, no, it continues to do its own thing.

• Like 2

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Take a look on youtube with a search at A320Neo there you will find a lot of stuff what can be useful for you, i think..🙂

cheers 😉

• Like 2

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Every time I think I have something figured out, no, it continues to do its own thing.

One quick thing to remember - use the control stick to point the aircraft in the direction you want it to go in relation to heading, pitch and roll and then back off the control to neutral.

It’s the nature of FBW technology. You don’t keep feeding inputs once it’s doing what you commanded...

• Like 1

I also find it a lot easier to fly Boeing aircraft, it feels more natural. 

The Airbus kind of does everything itself, you just point it in the right direction like Cmcollazo71 says. 

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

Hm, I somehow find the A320 the easiest plane to fly. Why would it crash? Sounds like some misconfig of the joystick or so. Of course you have to know when to retract flaps etc. But the markers on the PFD (the screen with the virtual horizon) are very helpful if you entered all the correct data into the MCDU. There are several very good youtube tutorials on this.

• Like 1

I‘ve done most of my flights in the a320 and, apart from some initial bugs, I never had any problems. I „only“ crashed three times, twice because of a bug and once because of my own stupidity. This guy‘s tutorials helped me a lot: https://youtube.com/user/filanjix

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Same here. 90% in the neo. Modded, of course. Took me some time to do my type rating after having flown pmdgs 737 for years after now got used to it and can easily wait for pmdg. Actually, having seen what FBW had in the pipeline it could very well be that I stick to the neo a bit longer...

• Like 3

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

The obvious question that’s always asked is: is your deadzone for your joystick more than zero? It’s accepted that, for some reason, even the tiniest fraction of a control input stuns the autopilot, including the internal friction of your yoke/joystick which won’t return it to exactly neutral.

Of course, if you’re struggling to fly it manually without an autopilot, that’s another story...

12 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Is it just me, or do others have a crazy amount of time trying to fly this aircraft.  It's got a mind of its own and I'm along for the roller coaster of a ride, until it crashes.

I've figured out how to use the two Boeing airliners, but the NEO has me stumped.  Every time I think I have something figured out, no, it continues to do its own thing.

1st is it the 'in house'? or Flybywire... if its the 1st stop flying immediately and get the Flybywire

6 hours ago, DAD said:

Same here. 90% in the neo. Modded, of course. Took me some time to do my type rating after having flown pmdgs 737 for years after now got used to it and can easily wait for pmdg. Actually, having seen what FBW had in the pipeline it could very well be that I stick to the neo a bit longer...

Used the PMDG 737 800/900 4-6 years back... the current FBY neo is basically outdoing that modeling I dealt with then. The neo operates completely different than you've ever been instructed before... however... once you 'understand' how its set up...  its a dam smart bird it is

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fuzz_bucket said:

Used the PMDG 737 800/900 4-6 years back... the current FBY neo is basically outdoing that modeling I dealt with then. The neo operates completely different than you've ever been instructed before... however... once you 'understand' how its set up...  its a dam smart bird it is

I concur. it took me a few hours to get the feel of the plane but after that it's actually the most pleasing airliner to fly. or maybe it's because the other two have horrible flight modelling...