Sign in to follow this  
tup61

MSFS reboots PC... can't fly at all: troubleshooting advice?

14 hours ago, Maxis said:

The error is indicating an SSD issue. Google "A TCG command has returned an error" and try to find the applicable issue/solution.

never mind..

here's a link

https://linustechtips.com/topic/941708-system-freezes-caused-by-ssd/

Could be it. I updated the SSD's firmware (I do indeed have two Crucial MX100), install IRST, no luck.

On 2/26/2021 at 6:52 PM, tup61 said:

After the last update MSFS rebooted my PC without any warning somewhere during loading. So I reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch last week and last night I reinstalled MSFS (Steam) from scratch. I was able to do two short flights, simply checking if things worked again. Victory, I thought. After that I installed the UK update and now my PC reboots again... no matter where I fly or what settings I use. The screen sudddenly goes black and the PC reboots. It usually happens when I am almost in the cockpit, ready to start flying. Before the entire reinstall the reboot usually occured during the initial loading of MSFS already. Anyway, I can't fly anymore AT ALL.

Question: where can I find any logs that could tell me what's going wrong here...? How do I troubleshoot this?

It really sucks not being able to fly at ALL, not even with a basic cub somewhere in the middle of nowhere... I was really looking forward to the CRJ but I can forget about that one for now. Or any flying at all...

Reboot is usually due to failing / not powerful enough PSU.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

On 2/26/2021 at 2:08 PM, AnkH said:

Did you recently do anything inside your rig? Or did you move it around? I once had fairly similar issues and it took me quiet some time to realize that just one of the SATA power connectors was not anymore plugged in properly. To my surprise, not at the SSD end, but at the PSU end (I have a full modular PSU). Checking all other power cables on both the PSU and the component end and all issues instantly disappeared. Might be worth checking...

7 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

Reboot is usually due to failing / not powerful enough PSU.

I'm going to say that both of these gentlemen are correct.

Rebooting because not enough power getting to your GPU. Check for a loose or disconnected power cable on the GPU.

• Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

Hi there, here I am again. Question. If the PSU is failing, should it fail all the time or could it give problems only after using it for some time? After using my PC for a few weeks and 'testing' it while doing so I noticed that whenever I fly in MSFS first thing in the day I can fly for half an hour or even an hour. The rebooting usually starts whenever I've already used the PC for some time doing other things. (Or flying.) You'd say the rebooting might be caused by overheating but the odd thing is that all temps are good: I can't find any sign of overheating. So... is it possible for a PSU to only give problems whenever it's been used for an hour or so?

Tried a flight yesterday at the end of the afternoon and late in the evening, the exact same flight, and both rebooted the PC after a few minutes. I had used the PC earlier that day. This morning I did the exact same flight and finished at some 25 minutes without problems...

Any idea's what might be wrong with my PC? It seems it works great at first but gets bad after some time of usage. As I said: heat doesn't seem to be a problem.

Hi Tup 61,

Did you already resolve this issue of rebooting? Strangely enough I had the same thing, my PC rebooting in MSFS 2020. Never had that before. It was at random moments and I also have a motion platform which disconnected in game, sending me in a free fall to the ground in a VR headset. Very scary stuff :-)...

Your PC rebooting can be quick frequent spikes in temperture of your GPU or other HW. It is actually good that it reboots preventing damage to your system or overheating. You do not alway see these temperture spikes back in a log.

NE-way, in my case, in the NVIDEA panel I changed the option 'power settings' from 'maximum performance' to 'optimum performance'. I also updated to the latest drivers on my video card I was still running on 157.3.  I have a 2080 RTX card. I don't see any difference in FPS despite what people say on different forums. But of course this can differ for every set up. Most of the time it runs smooth but I do have stutters. I think this is the data streaming in from the cloud server and my internet connection...

It can also be that you run a different power plan on your PC causing this rebooting. You can check and switching this back to 'balanced'. I presume you already scanned you PC for malware, make sure every malware is deleted that windows defender finds. Make sure you are on the latest windows update.

I know Asobo chances a lot of things in the script of MSFS 2020, especially operational, so some settings that worked before can be a conflict the other day. I guess the Sim is not in a stable version and we have many more sim updates to come. 

Hope this helps, at the moment it works for me. 

Good luck!

52 minutes ago, B4S said:

Hope this helps, at the moment it works for me. 

Thanks for all the tips, B4S!

I partially solved my problem: if the FIRST thing I do on my PC is fly in MSFS then I can finish a 30 to 45 minute flight! If I use the PC for other things and then start flying it tends to reboot. So to me that looks like my PC is the problem... Temps don't seem to be a problem: I had MSFS running with various hardware utilities opened and temps were great when the PC suddenly rebooted. I might give those nVidia and power settings a try. (EDIT nVidia was already on optimum, I changed energy settings to balanced: it was on high). My PC has no malware and is up to date, in fact, I reinstalled W10 a few times and the rebooting even occured on a freshly installed system. Might be the PSU... but replacing it is a too daunting task for me. And I am not even sure it is the PSU...

Anyway, I am happy being able to fly at least half an hour a day although it's not really relaxing this way... 😉 I also save my flight every 10 minutes or so in order to continue if whenever my PC feels like it again. But whenever I do manage to fly I thoroughly enjoy it. MSFS is beautiful.

Edited by tup61
  • Like 1

If that were my PC I would replace the power supply. Six years old is old for a PSU. Capacitors drying out most likely. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

If that were my PC I would replace the power supply. Six years old is old for a PSU. Capacitors drying out most likely. 

Yeah, but I don't really there... Too many tiny connections and lots of scary cables in my PC case...! I am afraid I won't be able to get it done. Still, I might give it a try because whenever MSFS does run, it runs perfectly fine on my old PC.... and I am running at Ultra!!! (And no, lowering settings doesn't help the rebooting. ;) ) It's a shame having to buy a complete new system only to end up with similar, if not less, performance...

Before spending money on a new PSU could you check what drivers you are using, especially for your IDE/SATA controller (if you are using a SATA SSD)?
Because of the error message that is where I would first look. Loose cables is another option. A failing PSU as others have mentioned can cause the weirdest issues so I would not rule it out, but it would be a shame if you purchased a new one only to find out it doesn't solve the issue.

The default Microsoft drivers are usually OK, but they are often generic and not as recent as those directly from the manufacturer's website.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

21 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

Before spending money on a new PSU could you check what drivers you are using, especially for your IDE/SATA controller (if you are using a SATA SSD)?

The default Microsoft drivers are usually OK, but they are often generic and not as recent as those directly from the manufacturer's website.

In all honesty, I wouldn't even know what drivers I'd need... Here is the download site for my motherboard:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97 Extreme6/#Download

I have two Crucial MX100 SSD's. I checked the connections (SATA indeed), I even did a PSID revert on both. Everything on that download site is 6 to 7 years old: you'd think generic W10 drivers would be better than anything you could download from there? But maybe I need drivers from another site? Intel maybe? I have no clue.

Also note that my problems only began a few weeks ago, after the UK update. I've been playing MSFS since the beta since april 2020 or so without rebooting problems.

Edited by tup61

13 minutes ago, tup61 said:

In all honesty, I wouldn't even know what drivers I'd need... Here is the download site for my motherboard:

I have two Crucial MX100 SSD's. I checked the connections (SATA indeed), I even did a PSID revert on both. Everything on that download site is 6 to 7 years old: you'd think generic W10 drivers would be better than anything you could download from there? But maybe I need drivers from another site? Intel maybe? I have no clue.

Also note that my problems only began a few weeks ago, after the UK update. I've been playing MSFS since the beta since april 2020 or so without rebooting problems.

Normally I'd prefer the manufacturer's drivers, even if they are older, but it seems that Asrock only provides drivers for Windows 7. Often, they do work in Windows 10, but that would be a last resort. In your case, the Microsoft W10 drivers are probably the most stable option.

Besides the Intel Z97 SATA controller you also have another controller by Asmedia on your motherboard. You could experiment swapping the cables to different ports but you probably are using the Intel ports already, and they are IMO the most stable.

Since the problems started with the UK update it might be just MSFS. I have found that it seems to stress hardware more to its limit that most other software, of else it is badly programmed. I don't rule either of these out.

I have quite a lot of CTD's with MSFS myself, on a machine that otherwise is very stable so I understand your frustration.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, tup61 said:

Absolutely. You don't need any driver for SSD units.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

3 hours ago, tup61 said:

Yeah, but I don't really there... Too many tiny connections and lots of scary cables in my PC case...! I am afraid I won't be able to get it done. Still, I might give it a try because whenever MSFS does run, it runs perfectly fine on my old PC.... and I am running at Ultra!!! (And no, lowering settings doesn't help the rebooting. 😉 ) It's a shame having to buy a complete new system only to end up with similar, if not less, performance...

If you are not confident to do it yourself, take it to a shop. I have 99% confidence you have a hardware issue, most probably it's your PSU failing. I don't see how a software could make your PC shutdown/restart. CTDs, bluescreens etc yes, but not actually shutting it down.

Also, if it's really your PSU, you should take care of it soon. A defective PSU can break other components.

The fact you are seeing this behavior with MSFS is due the fact it's a software that uses a lot of computing resources (CPU, GPU, RAM, Network), all at once. Not all softwares will put that presure on your system. A fully working system will handle it fine.

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

If you are up to it take out your PSU and remove the cover. Check for any capacitors that have white gunge coming out of them. If you have a soldering iron you can easily replace them. It's not a bad idea to check the caps on the motherboard as well. It's usually cheap Chinese capacitors that cause these issues imo.