Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Attempting "Most Dangerous" Approaches

One of the things I've always wanted to do is shoot the IFR or visual approaches to some of the "most dangerous"/difficult airports in the world.  I did some of them years ago, but the landscapes/terrain have rarely been a match to the real word, entire airports/runways have been missing, and it is not uncommon to have missing navaids/waypoints.  Now with MSFS 2020, I thought I'd try them again, what with the plethora of airports and fairly accurate terrain in even the less-traveled areas of the world.

First stop was Toncontin (MHTG) in Honduras.  That was fun!  The approach was fairly accurate (RNAV with the last arc and descent being all visual).  When you pass the last waypoint, start turning and descending immediately, or you will miss it!

Next was Paro International (VQPR) in Bhutan.  Wow!  This was similarly an RNAV through the mountains, then a visual descent into a valley following a river.  The approach and landing literally had me sweating (and the scenery was beautiful).  What I wasn't expecting was the really beautiful airport!  What a hidden gem - it's hard to believe this is a default airport?!  Here are a few shots:

Paro11

Paro13

Paro15

Paro16

• Like 1

Randall Rocke

This is a pretty impressive video showcasing the approach in an A319 by Sam Chui. Skip ahead 10 minutes if you are tight in time to see the final approach and landing. 

Edited by RaptyrOne
  • Like 2

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Thanks for that!  I can say that the sim really does a great job of capturing the feel of making that approach - I recognized many of those turns!

If you try it and you're making the approach to 33, start turning and descending as soon as you pass the 11,800 waypoint fix.  The approach I activated on the g3000 changed some of the waypoint identifiers - just remember the fix with 11,800 ft is the point to disconnect AP (if you're not already) and take her down manually.  Start descending right away (3 degrees to begin, steepen later).  Immediately start turning to left and follow the river all the way in (you'll know you'll need to turn as there will be a mountain right in your face!)

Keep your descent fairly shallow as you'll want to be a little high, not low.  I'm going to need to practice it a few more times to see what rates work best.

Randall Rocke

good old memories ... when I did the Dangerous Airports Database aka DAD hosted on geocities maaaany years ago; unfortunately I gave it up in 2005 w/o backup (nowadays much easier than back then on floppy disks ;-)) 

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

I just completed the RNAV X approach into runway 33 at Paro with the Fly By Wire A320. With the winds coming over the hills causing turbulence in the valleys, that was one of the most white-knuckle approaches I've ever done. I understand why there are only a handful of pilots qualified to make that approach.

Edited by Hyperfocal

1 hour ago, Hyperfocal said:

that was one of the most white-knuckle approaches I've ever done. I understand why there are only a handful of pilots qualified to make that approach.

Yep - I wasn't kidding when I said that I was sweating!  The fact that you did it in the A320 is impressive - I'm using aircraft like the TBM, 208B, etc. for my initial attempt with each approach as they give me a lot of flexibility.  I plan to eventually try Paro with the 320, but I'm still learning the aircraft.  I don't know how it went with you for flight-planning, but I recommend a navigation system where you can edit the STARs and approaches.  The WT g3000 in the TBM did this nicely, and I know the FBW A320 is also good in this regard.

I appreciate the other videos that have been posted - I'll need to add Busilmin to my list and I'll check out the approach in Peru.

I highly recommend the approach into Toncontin (MHTG) in Honduras - there are some similarities to Paro.  I couldn't find the runway right away when I began the visual segment and was almost on the threshold when I saw it - I had to lose about 500' quickly, but made it - needless to say, I was too busy to take a shot.  🙂

MHTG3

MHTG4

MHTG5

Randall Rocke

2 hours ago, Hyperfocal said:

I just completed the RNAV X approach into runway 33 at Paro with the Fly By Wire A320. With the winds coming over the hills causing turbulence in the valleys, that was one of the most white-knuckle approaches I've ever done. I understand why there are only a handful of pilots qualified to make that approach.

Tried the same with the dev modded neo. Very impressive as altitude constraints were followed for a sort of circling STAR approach through surrounding valleys. Unfortunately these altitude constraints did not exists for the last 2-3 waypoints, letting me hit a mountain. But again, very impressive with terrain overlay on. Will try it again the other days

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

30 minutes ago, DAD said:

Tried the same with the dev modded neo. Very impressive as altitude constraints were followed for a sort of circling STAR approach through surrounding valleys. Unfortunately these altitude constraints did not exists for the last 2-3 waypoints, letting me hit a mountain. But again, very impressive with terrain overlay on. Will try it again the other days

You need to be at 11,800' at PR12, at which point a three degree descent should be started. This depends on speed, but it's around 700 FPM at final approach speeds in the Airbus. There is almost no lateral margin for error, even when staying within those restrictions.

I've continued my journey through my "dangerous approaches" list and I'm having a ball!

Into Madeira (LPMA):

Madeira_LPMA-(4)

Madeira_LPMA-(5)

Madeira_LPMA-(6)

Randall Rocke

Into Skiathos (LGSK):

Skiathos_LGSK-(1)

Skiathos_LGSK-(2)

Into Telluride: (KTEX):

Telluride_KTEX-(1)

Telluride_KTEX-(2)

Telluride_KTEX-(5)

Randall Rocke

And finally, one of my all-time favorites, Innsbruck (LOWI):

Innsbruck_LOWI-(4)

Innsbruck_LOWI-(6)

Innsbruck_LOWI-(7)

Innsbruck_LOWI-(10)

Innsbruck_LOWI-(12)

Innsbruck_LOWI-(15)

Innsbruck_LOWI-(16)

Randall Rocke

Hardest landing I've done in the RW was Sedona. 3 go arounds, made it on the 4th try.

Interestingly I held the World Record for the MSFS Sedona landing challenge for about 30 hours before all the good pilots started doing it. 😂

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

I did all of my training in the RW off a 2500' turf strip.  When I used to return there from time to time with those who flew off of pavement, they would freak out - it's a matter of what you're used to.  I've visited Sedona Airport (by auto) - would loved to have landed there.

Probably the most "hazardous" airport I've flown in and out of in the RW was Meigs.  I didn't do the landing that day, but my instructor let me fly us out - at night!  I'll never forget that day (and night).

Edited by RandallR
  • Like 1

Randall Rocke