Sign in to follow this  
FredricG

At my wits' end: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Hello,

Maybe someone can help me out here because I'm kind of at my wit's end. Almost every single time I play P3D v5 (latest version), especially when doing longer flights, I almost always encounter the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error. And when it does happen, it always happens at the start of the flight or when I'm on final approach. Like, 8-10 mile final. I have scoured forum after forum to try and find an answer to remedy this error. I've tried everything - updating and/or rolling back GPU drivers, undoing any overclocks on the GPU and/or CPU, trying different aircraft and places, reinstalling aircraft, doing a fresh reinstall of P3D (painful), .CFG edits, rebuilding a fresh .CFG or other files, deleting shaders, scaling back my scenery settings, undoing any NVIDIA control panel/inspector settings... You name it, if it relates to the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error, I've done it. I've attached a screenshot showing an example of how and when it happens. I almost always get a solid 30fps no matter where I go in the world with my settings. 

When I check the Event Viewer afterwards, the faulting module or faulting DLL is rarely ever the same.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

SIMULATOR: Lockheed Martin Prepar3D v5.1.12.26829

SPECS: Ryzen 5 3600XT, GTX 1660 Super 6GB, 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM, MSI B550-A Pro motherboard, Toshiba 256GB M.2 SSD + Corsair MP600 Gen 4 NVMe PCIe 1TB SSD, MSI MAG Coreliquid 240R AIO cooler, NZXT H510i case, Toshiba LF621U19 43" 4K TV

9 mile final into PANC this morning during a VATSIM event:

Capture113.png

Is EA enabled or not when you have the error?

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

2 hours ago, JRMurray said:

Is EA enabled or not when you have the error?

No. I never have EA enabled. It's too much of a strain on my GPU.

A 6Gb GPU paired with a 4k screen (I assume you're running P3D at that resolution), means I think you're going to be pushing the boundaries of vRAM availability, esp at more demanding slider settings.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Unfortunately your GPU tries to do what you told it to do, but it can’t. That’s why this happens. Reset nvidia profiles, no need to use it for dx12. Lower your in sim resolution also. 
I also wonder will we experience the same thing when MSFS goes DX12.

• Upvote 1

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Your problem is the 6gb gpu. 

I had a 980ti with 6gb and was running on a 1080p screen with ai aircraft set to 50% large airport and sliders about 70% to the right my gpu usage was about 5gb min. Bare in mind windows still takes a chunk of that 6gb as well and i would get that happen to me on a regular basis if i went to the wrong airport at the wrong time of day.

Pete Little

@FredricG, as Kevin has said you're asking your GPU to do things it's not capable of. A 6Gb graphics card running in 4K would be risky in P3Dv4. In v5 it's really a non-starter.

Try reducing the screen resolution to 1920*1080 for a couple of flights and see how you get on. Yes, it won't look brilliant but if it solves the problem you have the answer. You can use Riva Tuner SS (RTSS) to monitor available VRAM which will show you how much is remaining.

Just for comparison I've seen VRAM hit 10Gb at Pilot's LEAL in 4K and I can manage it as I have a 1080Ti 11Gb card.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@FredricG, as Kevin has said you're asking your GPU to do things it's not capable of. A 6Gb graphics card running in 4K would be risky in P3Dv4. In v5 it's really a non-starter.

Try reducing the screen resolution to 1920*1080 for a couple of flights and see how you get on. Yes, it won't look brilliant but if it solves the problem you have the answer. You can use Riva Tuner SS (RTSS) to monitor available VRAM which will show you how much is remaining.

Just for comparison I've seen VRAM hit 10Gb at Pilot's LEAL in 4K and I can manage it as I have a 1080Ti 11Gb card.

I am aware of the implications brought on by using a 4K screen. I was originally using a 1080p screen but I was always encountering atrocious antialiasing issues to the point where I would have to use 8xSSAA to even noticeably see the jaggies go away whatsoever. As you’re aware, that level of AA is extremely taxing even on the strongest GPU’s. With 4K, I can run P3D with much less AA. I will post my sim settings so you can get a better look of what I have set.

Edited by FredricG

@kevinfirth @Johnny19 @mazelda @Ray Proudfoot Here are my in-sim settings. As a reminder, my NVIDIA control panel settings as well as NVIDIA inspector settings are at default. With the settings I have, I get a solid 30fps no matter where I go and antialiasing looks good.

Capture114.png

Capture116.png

Capture.png

Edited by FredricG

@FredricG, there are a couple of things that may help.

1) Limiting the fps in P3D has always been a big no-no. If your monitor supports 30Hz choose that frequency and set Target frame rate to unlimited and enable VSync.

2) Turn off “Use high res terrain textures “ and lower Texture resolution.

3) Lower Autogen vegetation density.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

17 minutes ago, FredricG said:

As a reminder, my NVIDIA control panel settings as well as NVIDIA inspector settings are at default

You need to set Prefer Maximum Performance for your card in NCP. Absolutely essential to prevent DXGI errors.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@FredricG, there are a couple of things that may help.

1) Limiting the fps in P3D has always been a big no-no. If your monitor supports 30Hz choose that frequency and set Target frame rate to unlimited and enable VSync.

2) Turn off “Use high res terrain textures “ and lower Texture resolution.

3) Lower Autogen vegetation density.

In regards to your first point, I was always told that limiting your FPS prevents overloading your GPU, which is why I did it to begin with. Seems I was fed wrong information from multiple sources. Using high-res terrain textures used to be a "must" back in the FSX and 32-bit P3D days in order to prevent the scenery as a whole from looking like swirled baby excrement, to put it bluntly, but how does it hold up in P3D v5 (considering it's still an ESP platform game)? 

@FredricG, limit the fps certainly but do it the right way. By only sending info to the monitor at the rate it can accept it that limits it naturally. No point sending 60 changes a second if the monitor can only accept 30. Does your monitor have a 30Hz option?

Just lower terrain resolution and see what it looks like. Search for RTSS and MSI Afterburner and install them as RTSS can monitor and display useful info like GPU load / usage plus CPU1 load which is critical to smooth performance.

Bear in mind whilst P3D might still be based on the original ESP engine the graphics have improved enormously going from DX9 to DX12.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather