Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Which is more stable V4 or V5

2 minutes ago, GSalden said:

With AS you can have multiple cloudslayers in EA.

With the default Shaders rain is hardly visible. With EnvShade it already looks a little better.

When using large screens the raindrops have a correct size and are also better visible.

And a side view shows them even better.

Light rain is not very visible in real life so I would consider that accurately depicted by EA. How often does one ask oneself "is it raining"? You go to the window and check and you can't see anything, yet the ground is wet. Or if you're out walking, you usually feel the rain first before you see it, especially if it's light. Or you're driving, the first you notice is the drops on the windscreen.

I think people are just used to the big MS Paint rendered lines coming down from the sky and then conclude there's no rain when they don't see anything. Compounded by the fact that many addons don't have windshield effects.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, andreh said:

I'm curious. What's considered inaccurate with EA? I've heard people complain about only one cloud layer being rendered but I had 3 distinct layers flying out of Singapore a few days ago (as just one example). It matched what AS said there should be. Is it the type of clouds being rendered? Surely, the winds would be correct with EA on? I've heard people complain about rain and snow, but I have rain and snow when I expect there to be.

The biggest problem for me with EA enabled is it also enables HDR and that makes the cockpit far too dark.

Also, the clouds from the ground lack definition. Sitting at LEBL at 13:24Z 30/3/21 ASP3D reports broken cloud at 1400ft.

With EA enabled it looks like a total overcast and the cloud base is uniformly grey. With it disabled the cloud layer is much brighter and has textures copletely lacking with EA enabled.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, andreh said:

Light rain is not very visible in real life so I would consider that accurately depicted by EA

Light rain on the ground may not be the same as in the air.

Drizzle for example, most droplets usually evaporates before even hitting the ground.

However drizzle is very hard to fly through in VFR.
Why? due to the stable air mass.  DZ falls from stratiform clouds so there is little to no vertical movement of air meaning dust/pollution & rain droplets are sort of stuck in the lower atmosphere. Worst case you have a complete white-out with almost no visibility over an extended area. There is a reason why you never cross a warm front with DZ in VFR. It has killed many pilots.

Rainfall, on the other hand, is obviously larger droplets generally cause by convective clouds. Those clouds require unstable air mass so visibility is generally not a problem unless the showers are very intense. Since visibility is good, and convective clouds often are tied to local weather, you can fly around these in a cross country trip (always use sound judgment of course)

As a pilot, I can't really see the difference between incoming DZ or RA when using TrueSky. I can't observe the weather/clouds and the airmass ahead in P3D and understand what they mean. They have lots of fixing to do before the name "True" is proper for TrueSky in P3D.

Edited by SAS443
  • Like 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

44 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The biggest problem for me with EA enabled is it also enables HDR

I read (but haven't tested, as my EA is disabled) you can disable HDR in prepar3d.cfg by changing HDR=1 into HDR=0.

Edited by Rafal
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The biggest problem for me with EA enabled is it also enables HDR and that makes the cockpit far too dark.

Also, the clouds from the ground lack definition. Sitting at LEBL at 13:24Z 30/3/21 ASP3D reports broken cloud at 1400ft.

With EA enabled it looks like a total overcast and the cloud base is uniformly grey. With it disabled the cloud layer is much brighter and has textures copletely lacking with EA enabled.

Have you tried to enable detailed clouds in the ASP3D beta? It gets rid of the soft featureless clouds.

btw, I just flew into FAOR and I've never seen P3D look so good. Fantastic clouds and the orbx Africa landclass + photreal mesh looks fantastic. Too bad I have no decent FAOR airport

Edited by andreh

47 minutes ago, andreh said:

Have you tried to enable detailed clouds in the ASP3D beta? It gets rid of the soft featureless clouds.

I’ll try it and also the tip by @Rafal. Thanks to both of you.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather