Sign in to follow this  
andy1252

Huge tower just south of Brussels?

Was testing things out around Brussels and spotted this in the distance. Went for a peek as I assumed it was one of those weird scenery spikes but it's a quite nicely modelled tower. No idea if it should be there though (seems unlikely) and I couldn't find anything on Google Earth. Anybody know anything about this?

eJoM1Lg.jpg

RWVWrel.jpg

HUCpezB.jpg

vpCLVUp.jpg

FFzwbph.jpg

ycTVz6I.jpg

looking back towards Brussels from the above shot, to give another idea of the distances
ROmSiJS.jpg

This was also my first attempt at lowering my LOD back to 200 from 500 to try and gain some performance back after the last update, and see if I think the trade-off (LOD vs smooth flight) is worth it. I am very aware of the reduced LOD if I get too far off the ground but if I stay real low (as I tend to) I might be able to live with it. It certainly improves the performance, nearly doubles it in fact. But what that really means (considering it was ok before this last update) is that this last update's LOD changes reduced my performance by about 50%, which I don't think is a nice thing to do!

• Like 4

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

A n enormous sundial ? 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Qutub Minar...nah...out-of-place...🙂...

Andy, it does look like a neat skyscraper (see that little thing on top...), a tower, that I would expect, maybe, in the Chicago skyline...(otherwise your images, here, appear to have nice depth and clarity...)....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vesalius said:

Hi, I live near this location.

In real life, it´s a 1.000ft concrete radio tower.

Magic! Thanks for that Vital. I thought there must be something like that there, but couldn't spot it on GE. And it looked too specific in the sim to be just one of those random office blocks that pop up occasionally.

And nice shot - I hope that's a bicycle helmet he's wearing and he hasn't just hi-dived off the top of that thing! (but if he has, he's looking pretty chilled about it)

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Dang nice tower anyways, as long as you don't bump into it. 😁

Fantastic shots Andy. 😊

HP Omen Obelisk Gaming Computer, Intel Core i7-9700, Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 System Memory 4.7GHz 8 cores, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super Graphics with 8GB GDDR6 memory, PSU 750 watts, 1TB hard drive, Samsung T7 2TB SSD, 512 GB SSD, WD 5TB HDD,  Logitech HOTAS X52 Pro Joystick, AOC 27" monitor,

On 4/18/2021 at 5:21 PM, vesalius said:

Hi, I live near this location.

Wow...yes, magical coincidence...glad you dropped in...🙂...

Looks like nice area to do some biking around...nearabout that spectacular tower....

8 hours ago, P_7878 said:

Wow...yes, magical coincidence...glad you dropped in...🙂...

Looks like nice area to do some biking around...nearabout that spectacular tower....

Indeed it is. This region is called "Pajottenland" and is world famous for its beers (mostly Lambic), Belgian Draft, the painter Breugel, soft rolling hills, lots of cycling/biking and hiking recreation. And plenty of good cafe's (pubs) to resupply 🙂

• Like 1

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

After its construction, it emerged that the tower was built illegally, due to irregularities in the building permits. There were complaints against it as locals feel the unpainted concrete is an eyesore, and it has even been suggested that the tower may be demolished.[2][3][4] In April 2007, the irregularities were straightened out and the tower has retroactively acquired the legal permit to be built.

That is quite the story at that linked site.  I love the retroactively acquired building permit...

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

18 hours ago, fppilot said:

That is quite the story at that linked site.  I love the retroactively acquired building permit...

Welcome to Belgium... 😄
These things happen quite often.

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne